Practicals for Homeschool students

Watch this thread
sankarv
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Hi,

I am planning to take Biology A LEVEL on my own this summer. Any idea how do I go about doing practicals ? Some say since I will be considered as home schooling student I will be asked to just answer a question paper related to practicals. Does any one know how this work ?
Amelieeliza
Badges: 4
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by sankarv)
Hi,

I am planning to take Biology A LEVEL on my own this summer. Any idea how do I go about doing practicals ? Some say since I will be considered as home schooling student I will be asked to just answer a question paper related to practicals. Does any one know how this work ?
Not sure how it works for A levels, but for GCSE you couldn’t do practical exams so it was all written. It’s definitely worth looking at what exam board you want to take and centres that take private candidates and you’ll get an idea what the exams consist of!
sankarv
Rep:
(Original post by Amelieeliza)
Not sure how it works for A levels, but for GCSE you couldn’t do practical exams so it was all written. It’s definitely worth looking at what exam board you want to take and centres that take private candidates and you’ll get an idea what the exams consist of!
Thank you
EOData
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
At A level, the As level grade comes with a separate practical endorsement which you can pass or have as not classified - but you can still get any grade at A level with a not classified in the practical endorsement (although your understanding will be aided if you do manage to to the practicals). Most universities required a pass in the practical endorsement if you were taking Science A levels but they have become much more lenient since Covid - if you're applying to university ask them if you'd need the pass.

Centres can't accept you as a private candidate to take Biology A level exams without also offering you the practicals but these are very expensive and you can refuse them and just take the exams. There are lots of good online resources (e.g. videos on You tube) that talk you through the practicals so you can gain the required knowledge for the exams.
sankarv
Rep:
(Original post by EOData)
At A level, the As level grade comes with a separate practical endorsement which you can pass or have as not classified - but you can still get any grade at A level with a not classified in the practical endorsement (although your understanding will be aided if you do manage to to the practicals). Most universities required a pass in the practical endorsement if you were taking Science A levels but they have become much more lenient since Covid - if you're applying to university ask them if you'd need the pass.

Centres can't accept you as a private candidate to take Biology A level exams without also offering you the practicals but these are very expensive and you can refuse them and just take the exams. There are lots of good online resources (e.g. videos on You tube) that talk you through the practicals so you can gain the required knowledge for the exams.
thank you
McGinger
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Many Unis are sympathetic to this problem and dont insist on the practical endorsement for home-schooled applicants.
Email the Unis you are interested in, and ask.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you done work experience at school/college?

Yes (138)
43.81%
Not yet, but I will soon (54)
17.14%
No (123)
39.05%

Watched Threads