The Student Room Group

if you dropped out of education and training at 16/17

do you regret it?
Reply 1
My cousin left school at 16 (bit of a shock for his parents) and he got an apprenticeship with an environmental agency and hasn't looked back since. He loves his work and regrets nothing.
Reply 2
Original post by marchag
My cousin left school at 16 (bit of a shock for his parents) and he got an apprenticeship with an environmental agency and hasn't looked back since. He loves his work and regrets nothing.

I was a top grade student and left because my illness held me back and I am now looking at apprenticeships and I was the best at studying in my family so I feel like a failure knowing I couldn’t complete sixth form and everyone else in my family did. I will always regret it but it is the best decision I could make at the time and I plan to revisit them in the future if I was to ever be well.

Or I just don’t want to get better because I wanted to complete sixth form, I couldn’t so I am not even trying to get better.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by marchag

This is still training though, the OP dropped out of everything
Reply 4
Original post by AmIReallyHere

I know I did because I can’t even handle any entry level studying right now, or training courses but I am forced to look at training now. My situation slightly improved so thats why I am looking at training or forget studying altogether and just look at full time work.
Original post by Anon346775
I know I did because I can’t even handle any entry level studying right now, or training courses but I am forced to look at training now. My situation slightly improved so thats why I am looking at training or forget studying altogether and just look at full time work.

I'd say if you can do an apprenticeship do one, you get paid and you get to work your way up with a secure pathway - sorry to hear that you were forced out of education
Reply 6
I'd say if you can do an apprenticeship do one, you get paid and you get to work your way up with a secure pathway - sorry to hear that you were forced out of education

The only way to know if I can do an apprenticeship is if I tried one so thats what I am doing, but its not the degree that I want. As in I wanted law but I have to sacrifice my career and do business admin because law apprenticeships are rare and really far away and travelling is a problem for me.
Reply 7

True but I was hoping it might give the OP some hope that all is not lost when dropping out of typical education routes.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 8
I was a top grade student and left because my illness held me back and I am now looking at apprenticeships and I was the best at studying in my family so I feel like a failure knowing I couldn’t complete sixth form and everyone else in my family did. I will always regret it but it is the best decision I could make at the time and I plan to revisit them in the future if I was to ever be well.

Or I just don’t want to get better because I wanted to complete sixth form, I couldn’t so I am not even trying to get better.

There are access courses as well, I know a number of other law students that went on to study law at university via that route. Agreed that apprenticeships for law are rare though.

Don't think of non-compulsory education as something that "must" be done, they aren't and they're a privilege in all honesty.

If it's the best decision you can make at that time, then there is not much reasons to be regretful of it, ya' know :redface: I hate having to carry regrets, so I hope yours will subside soon.
Reply 9
Original post by wifd149
There are access courses as well, I know a number of other law students that went on to study law at university via that route. Agreed that apprenticeships for law are rare though.

Don't think of non-compulsory education as something that "must" be done, they aren't and they're a privilege in all honesty.

If it's the best decision you can make at that time, then there is not much reasons to be regretful of it, ya' know :redface: I hate having to carry regrets, so I hope yours will subside soon.

I just want to complete sixth form and get my level 3s, that was my plan so if my situation was to fully improve and I got my life back fully it is something that I want to get done.
Kind of/No

I left at 15 for college then flunked out v quick (pre 2000, this was broadly allowed) I kind of regret ending my education for a long time there... but I also couldn't have stayed, I was far too teenagey, angry and violent and things were escalating... you could probably have put almost any opportunity in front of me and I'd have ruined it.

I was lucky tbh as pre 2000 you didn't really need qualifications to land decent work, If you could use IT and wear a shirt and tie without picking your nose you would do ok. I wouldn't get away with that now.

I didn't properly go back top education till my 30s when I was chill and focussed enough to know what I wanted and aced it all. Better late than never.
I just want to complete sixth form and get my level 3s, that was my plan so if my situation was to fully improve and I got my life back fully it is something that I want to get done.

:thumbsup: Look into access courses if you are considering to do an A-level equivalent, I find them more friendlier than A-levels themselves and tend to prepare you better for university education.

Edit: If you can get into sixth form, feel free to do A-levels for sure aye :smile:
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest