Biomed in Uni of Lincoln vs Lancaster Uni

Watch this thread
naomiSo
Badges: 7
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
I have gotten offers from both UoL and Lancaster Uni, but I'm really unsure ab which one to firm. I am going to be doing biomedical science and I chose these unis because I wanted to do an IBMS accredited course.
Both these unis seem to have their pros and cons, so I was wondering if anyone could share their experiences at either of these universities, especially as a POC student as I've heard the diversity at both unis isn't alot.
Thanks!
McGinger
Badges: 18
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 months ago
Lancaster. No question.
It has a sensible academic reputation and all the facilities you will need

Lincoln is tiny, and has no academic reputation for any subject.
sryhh
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Lancaster has been known for its racist incidents recently and having lived in Lincoln, it's a very white area and you will probably experience racism there too but out of how good they are I would go to Lancaster.
SuspiciousDuck
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by naomiSo)
I have gotten offers from both UoL and Lancaster Uni, but I'm really unsure ab which one to firm. I am going to be doing biomedical science and I chose these unis because I wanted to do an IBMS accredited course.
Both these unis seem to have their pros and cons, so I was wondering if anyone could share their experiences at either of these universities, especially as a POC student as I've heard the diversity at both unis isn't alot.
Thanks!
Sorry to reply to a slightly old thread, but I study biomed at Lincoln and couldn't help but jump in. Whilst I really can't say much about Lancaster (don't know anyone who goes there) I can say that Lincoln has a very well managed and well-rounded Biomed course. The school of Life Sciences at Lincoln (of which Biomed is a part of) has levels of organisational competence almost unheard of in modern academia and I would be remiss if I weren't to praise the university's overall handle on management and student wellbeing. The university has a modern campus (including the new med school that has a dedicated library specifically for biomed/med students) and exceptionally well maintained accommodation that none of my friends universities seem to rival. While Lincoln itself is on the smaller side, it does have everything you'd need in a place to live (plus a castle, because why not) plus an extended, centralised university campus which wouldn't be possible in a larger city (accommodation is nearly all within sight of main lecture halls) that houses more than a few places that you can go out to at night. Rankings wise, Lincoln has climb massively over the last few years (~#100th place 10-15 years ago) to around the mid 30s/high 40s depending on the guide and year used, mainly driven by an exceptionally strong student satisfaction rating and above average graduate prospects for students. While Lancaster certainly outranks Lincoln in prestige on the overall league tables, Lincoln still comes out on top when looking at student satisfaction ratings whilst Lancaster's is mainly driven by entry standards. Regarding diversity at UoL, it certainly isn't as diverse/inclusive as it probably could be, but I think you could say that about any university UK wide. During my time at Lincoln I've certainly met plenty of POC students, including a sizeable amount of international students, and while I would say that overall Lincoln as a town isn't really that diverse, the University (and the community which the university is built on) itself definitely is. Obviously, as I said, I can't offer any insight as to what Lancaster is like as town/university, but I hope I can at least shed some light on Lincoln for you .
Lancaster Student Ambassador
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
Thanks!
Hi there!

I currently study at Lancaster and whilst I can't tell you anything about the biomed course because I'm a humanities student, I can tell you about living in Lancaster!
The university campus, where everyone tends to live in their first year, is really green and there's always things going on as there's more than 200 student societies each undergraduate college on campus has its own bar and there's quite a few food outlets too. There's a really nice sense of community as well which I think is what makes Lancaster a lovely place to live and study.
Lancaster itself is a small city with great train links to Edinburgh, Manchester, Liverpool and the Lakes. It's got a one third student population too so there's always things happening in the city with lots of great pubs and a few nightclubs (nights out if you enjoy them, are really fun because you often end up bumping into people you know)! Eden Project North is also coming to Morecambe which is about 20 mins away which is in partnership with the university and should be something really fun to get to experience, I'm quite jealous that I will miss out on it!
I am white and so can't speak to the experiences of POC students. There have been a few racist incidents reported recently as someone above mentioned and every student I talk to finds it absolutely appalling and these incidents are completely against the values that the university and its students hold. The university's policies about diversity and inclusion can be found here and this is their response to one the videos that surfaced.

Let me know if you have any more questions about life at Lancaster!
-Daisy (Final Year Student)
UniOfLincolnStudent
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
Thanks!
Hi naomiSo

Congratulations on receiving your offer to come and study at the University of Lincoln to study our BSc (Hons) Biomedical Science degree. Did you know that our Biomedical Science degree is currently ranked 4th in the UK for overall student satisfaction in the National Student Survey 2021 which is completed by all students studying on that course?

We are really lucky in Lincoln to have our campus located alongside the Brayford Pool in the heart of the city which means everything is really accessible and you wouldn't need public transport to get around the city. Lincoln also has a great social scene with lots of restaurants, bars, pubs and other activities that you can get involved in outside of your studies. We also have a very active Student Union that also put on great events for students to get involved with to help you meet people.

As you have received an offer to come and study with us you could also come and join us for one of our Offer Holder Days to get an insight into our course. Biomedical Science Offer Holder Day is happening on Wednesday 6th April at 6pm online which you can book here. As the event is being run online you could also join us for an Informal Visit Day to get an idea of campus and Lincoln as a city on:
Wednesday 9th March 12:30-3pm BOOK HERE
Wednesday 30th March 12:30-3pm BOOK HERE
Wednesday 6th April 12:30-3pm BOOK HERE

If you have any questions about the Biomedical Science degree from a student perspective one of our UniBuddy students is currently studying the course and may be able to answer some course specific question you have. You can find all our UniBuddy Students here who will be more than happy to chat to you about their student experience.

I hope that all this information is helpful but if you do have anymore questions you can always send us an email on [email protected] or you can call us on 01522 886644

Best wishes,

Megan
Y3 BA Education Student
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your Edexcel A-level Economics Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (59)
16.16%
The paper was reasonable (177)
48.49%
Not feeling great about that exam... (92)
25.21%
It was TERRIBLE (37)
10.14%

Watched Threads