The Student Room Group

Post office put £2,000 into my bank instead of £200

Let me set the scene.

There is a small post office around the corner from where I live and as its local I visit there nearly every week. The man who now owns this post office is.. rude. He once accused my mum of re-using stamps which is fraud! Along with many other reasons but maybe I'll get into that another time.

Today I visited the post office and I made a cash deposit of £200, On the machine I saw the figure of £2,000 and I went to raise the issue but he abruptly told me to just press enter as there was a queue of others behind me. He also checked the receipt himself and gave me the okay. I got home thinking it was a mistake on the machine and that I was wrong so I checked my bank and funny enough there was a cash deposit of (drum roll please) £2,000. I obviously went back round to the post office and because it is a Saturday, it had closed early. I rang the post office number and the woman on the phone said it wasn't something she deals with and that I wouldn't find a number that did (again she was also rude so maybe its a running theme). She advised me to ring the bank. Of course, I knew the bank wouldn't be able to do anything but I rang anyway. They told me they couldn't do anything on their behalf and to go into the post office branch and discuss it with them.

Now my question to you is, would you keep the money or would you return it? Do you have any suggestions, he isn't a very polite person and surely he would have no idea where the missing £1,800 had disappeared to.
(edited 2 years ago)
I'd take responsibility and return it before they come looking (It will be noticed and won't take much to work out it's you, you're likely on camera)
Reply 2
Original post by Paige2
Let me set the scene.

There is a small post office around the corner from where I live and as its local I visit there nearly every week. The man who now owns this post office is.. rude. He once accused my mum of re-using stamps which is fraud! Along with many other reasons but maybe I'll get into that another time.

Today I visited the post office and I made a cash deposit of £200, On the machine I saw the figure of £2,000 and I went to raise the issue but he abruptly told me to just press enter as there was a queue of others behind me. He also checked the receipt himself and gave me the okay. I got home thinking it was a mistake on the machine and that I was wrong so I checked my bank and funny enough there was a cash deposit of (drum roll please) £2,000. I obviously went back round to the post office and because it is a Saturday, it had closed early. I rang the post office number and the woman on the phone said it wasn't something she deals with and that I wouldn't find a number that did (again she was also rude so maybe its a running theme). She advised me to ring the bank. Of course, I knew the bank wouldn't be able to do anything but I rang anyway. They told me they couldn't do anything on their behalf and to go into the post office branch and discuss it with them.

Now my question to you is, would you keep the money or would you return it? Do you have any suggestions, he isn't a very polite person and surely he would have no idea where the missing £1,800 had disappeared to.

It's free money for you suggest you get yourself a couple bags, few pints and have a good night
its free money use it up
Original post by Paige2
Let me set the scene.

It will be obvious when Horizon comes back with a £1800 cash shortfall what has happened, and the deposit will be corrected. Don't think that you've got a payday here, because you haven't.

Interesting why you think stealing money is OK because the person 'isn't very polite'. What an odd moral compass you have.
Reply 5
Original post by Reality Check
It will be obvious when Horizon comes back with a £1800 cash shortfall what has happened, and the deposit will be corrected. Don't think that you've got a payday here, because you haven't.

Interesting why you think stealing money is OK because the person 'isn't very polite'. What an odd moral compass you have.

Obviously I am going to return otherwise I wouldn’t have gone out of my way to ring the bank etc I was just curious to see what others would do :smile:
Obviously return it…in this day and age you can’t hide from electronic transfers. You will be found out if you don’t and possibly get in trouble with the police for fraud/stealing.
Original post by Paige2
Obviously I am going to return otherwise I wouldn’t have gone out of my way to ring the bank etc I was just curious to see what others would do :smile:

Yes, I know you were - it's more a thought experiment regarding the moral compass thing. I appreciate you're doing this hypothetically :smile:
Reply 8
Definitely wouldn't spend it as they're going to notice the missing money once their accounts are reconciled.

If they're making it awkward to return I might wait a couple of weeks (to ensure it won't be directly taken from my current account), throw it in premium bonds or a high interest account, and then wait for the inevitable phone call.
(edited 2 years ago)
Obviously the kids on here with no life experience will say keep it.
Everyone else will say to return it, since its not your money and keeping it would be theft.
Original post by CoolCavy
Obviously the kids on here with no life experience will say keep it.
Everyone else will say to return it, since its not your money and keeping it would be theft.

It's ok, I'll say it. They bad kids, good for nothin'. :tongue:
Reply 11
Yes, I know you were - it's more a thought experiment regarding the moral compass thing. I appreciate you're doing this hypothetically :smile:

That’s understandable, it’s always interesting to see where peoples morals lie
I'd hope the employee who didn't even bother to help and avoid this situation would get a good telling off :s-smilie:

Doesn't dishonestly presenting a question on honesty create a sort of 'wrong un' infinity shot? :confused:
Keep it for the trauma you've experienced from his rudeness. It's his mistake, not yours. Act oblivious if you're caught.
It isn't actually theft as you had no intention to keep the money at the time of the incident. That would be very easy to prove because you have a record of trying to contact the bank and there will likely be CCTV of you returning.

I would recommend trying to speak to the Post Office again, but if they will not listen then leave the money sat in your account for a period of at least 28 days before moving it to a higher interest savings account (still with access, don't lock it away), for a reasonable length of time. If they do not come back to you after what is a reasonable time then the money is yours. You will have taken all reasonable steps to return the property and the Post Office are refusing. You do not have to do anything above and beyond what is reasonable.

Quick Reply

Latest