Dissertation

Watch this thread
BiaBie
Badges: 1
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Hi! I am currently having a mental breakdown and I feel like a failure and desperate to repair my dissertation.
The first mistake was made at the first thing I written which is the literature review. It was pretty bad as I did not really know what I have to include and how to relate it to my own research questions in a good way... Anyway, now I am doing the analysation and I just can't relate it back to my literature review as it doesn't link..i found results that call for different literature and this makes me feel like I need a new literature review. My supervisor is really by the books and he told me before to not start the analysation before I finish my research (even if almost everything was done and i just had 3 more questions to ask, i have just one participant is a bibliography thing). So now it's weekend and I have literally no one to ask what to do. I want to do the literature again and send it to my supervisor but I'm afraid it will be in vain because he will say that I'm not supposed to do a new literature after i already conducted my interview.. i am literally so stressed that i cannot even describe what my problem is and so stressed that all i want right now is to pass and nothing else. I'm really sad. Also the feedback he gave me on my first literature draft was bad and i asked if i should repair that now and he said i need to focus forward and leave the repair last. ....but i can't move forward since I got that feedback.
What should I Do??? Help! Do the literature again? Focus on my analysation and try to link it a bit and risk to fail?.... I'm stressed! (I have one month to do the literature and analysation as in February 22 is the last time I can send my work for feedback..and then one more month for submitting the actual disso.)
brite_binu
Badges: 5
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 months ago
Literature review is one of things where it's more about what other people have written about regarding the dissertation topic. My dissertation supervisor was lenient about me making changes to literature review
Last edited by brite_binu; 3 months ago
mike23mike
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
You have 2 options.

1) Leave the lit review and criticise yourself for poor methodology design; the questions you used did not help you explore the issues identified in the lit review.

2) Rewrite your lit review and get criticised by your supervisor.
Last edited by mike23mike; 3 months ago
University of Suffolk student
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by BiaBie)
Hi! I am currently having a mental breakdown and I feel like a failure and desperate to repair my dissertation.
The first mistake was made at the first thing I written which is the literature review. It was pretty bad as I did not really know what I have to include and how to relate it to my own research questions in a good way... Anyway, now I am doing the analysation and I just can't relate it back to my literature review as it doesn't link..i found results that call for different literature and this makes me feel like I need a new literature review. My supervisor is really by the books and he told me before to not start the analysation before I finish my research (even if almost everything was done and i just had 3 more questions to ask, i have just one participant is a bibliography thing). So now it's weekend and I have literally no one to ask what to do. I want to do the literature again and send it to my supervisor but I'm afraid it will be in vain because he will say that I'm not supposed to do a new literature after i already conducted my interview.. i am literally so stressed that i cannot even describe what my problem is and so stressed that all i want right now is to pass and nothing else. I'm really sad. Also the feedback he gave me on my first literature draft was bad and i asked if i should repair that now and he said i need to focus forward and leave the repair last. ....but i can't move forward since I got that feedback.
What should I Do??? Help! Do the literature again? Focus on my analysation and try to link it a bit and risk to fail?.... I'm stressed! (I have one month to do the literature and analysation as in February 22 is the last time I can send my work for feedback..and then one more month for submitting the actual disso.)
Hi BiaBie! I completely understand how stressful and overwhelming writing your dissertation can be as I'm in the same boat at the moment as well.

I'd say that you have a few options as to what you can do next...

1) Although you want to tweak your literature review, if you want to keep the themes you talk about the same, then mike23mike made a really good point and said that if you'd need to discuss that you methodology was poorly designed and did not answer the research question (aim and objectives)
2) You could tweak the literature review but keep the themes the same and then in your discussion, mention that although your methodology was well executed, that there were a few flaws and actually whilst you were collecting data etc., it became apparent to you that there were lots of other different factors that you had not initially taken into consideration. Realistically, in order to get high marks, you're supposed to be critical of your research project and the methodology design, so you'd get marks for saying that the methodology could have been improved and give recommendations for how the methodology design could be improved for similar research projects in the future!
3) However, if you want to change the themes covered in your literature review, then you'll need to do it sooner rather than later and you'd also need to make sure that your methodology and any comments throughout are relevant to the updated literature review.

There's nothing to stop you from updating/ re-doing your literature review now, as your dissertation supervisor would not know when you wrote it, so I'd suggest getting that near-enough complete soon and then tweaking everything else around it. Remember that it's your project and you know it better than anyone else, so if something doesn't seem right or you're not happy with it, then you have every right to change it! This is your degree at the end of the day

I hope this helps and good luck! Only a few more weeks left - you've got this! :crossedf:

Emma
3rd year diagnostic radiography student
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA Combined Science - Biology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (27)
36%
The paper was reasonable (26)
34.67%
Not feeling great about that exam... (15)
20%
It was TERRIBLE (7)
9.33%

Watched Threads