Advice for UCAT/BMAT, Interview, Work Experience?

Watch this thread
RoadtoSuccess
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Hello, I was hoping to find anyone that can give me advice on how to prepare for the UCAT/BMAT tests and also the interview for Dentistry. I want to be as prepared as possible any recommendations? Also in terms of Work experience a lot of places keep denying me has anyone had a work around for this?

Thank you in advance,
RoadtoSuccess.
hungrysalamander
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 months ago
I would say that it's too early to practice for the UCAT right now. Registration opens in June and you can book exams that take place from August to September. I would recommend using resources like medify or medentry for 2 months prior to the exams for 2 hours a day. You can take a look at the UCAT megathread for last year for tips. I don't have advice for the BMAT as I didn't take it (Leeds is the only BMAT dental school).
There's an online work experience on futurelearn for dentistry by the University of Sheffield that you can use. Universities will understand that it's hard to get in-person work experience during the pandemic so it's more about reflecting on it.
As for interviews, look at common interview questions for dentistry and make bullet points for how you would approach the questions to avoid sounding like you're memorising a script. Knowledge about dentistry is also important, like the NHS banding system or current issues like fallow times from aerosol generating procedures.
Last edited by hungrysalamander; 3 months ago
mia.mgeorge
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Yh as the person said above definitely use medify and medentry because everyone uses these websites and you would be at a huge disadvantage if you didn't buy it for yourself. Also make sure you have an actual goal for how many questions you want to do. On medify it says you should have done at least 500 questions from each section so make sure you have done that by the time you reach your actual test. Medify also has a checklist with tasks you should have done so make sure you do them and also watch all the videos they have about how you should handle specific questions.
When you are practicing, make sure you use a computer with a separate keyboard and mouse and a number pad on the right side of the keyboard. Buy one if you have to. When doing calculation questions in QR of the UCAT it is quicker to use the number pad so by using a big keyboard you will be able to type numbers into the calculator faster. Near the day of the test, make sure you practice in a library every day and at the same time your test is at.
Maybe start looking at basic interview questions right now and come up with proper answers for each of these. Ollie Burton is a great youtuber and I ended up watching all his interview videos but his channel is medicine based so I'm not sure if it would be as beneficial to you.
Read some dental/medicine related books as well (I got mine from a library) and write reflections on what you have read to use at interview.
RoadtoSuccess
Rep:
Thank you both I appreciate this
Mesopotamian.
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by mia.mgeorge)
Yh as the person said above definitely use medify and medentry because everyone uses these websites and you would be at a huge disadvantage if you didn't buy it for yourself.
I think this is an exaggeration. I only used the ISC book and the free questions on the UKCAT (as it was called back then) website, and I scored above average in all sections with band 1. I practiced for only 2 weeks. Judging from the general TSR consensus, OP, maybe consider 4-8 weeks practice (although I personally think 8 weeks is far too much) for a couple of hours each day (some people go over board and practice hours on end which I don't recommend at all as you'll find you'll actually perform worse towards the end). Obviously get medify and medentry etc if you think it'll be helpful, but I just wanted to clarify that you won't be at a "huge" disadvantage if you can't/ don't get it for whatever reason.

I agree with hungrysalamander and you might also find this link helpful for general hints and tips https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/uni...ses/dentistry/
RoadtoSuccess
Rep:
(Original post by Mesopotamian.)
I think this is an exaggeration. I only used the ISC book and the free questions on the UKCAT (as it was called back then) website, and I scored above average in all sections with band 1. I practiced for only 2 weeks. Judging from the general TSR consensus, OP, maybe consider 4-8 weeks practice (although I personally think 8 weeks is far too much) for a couple of hours each day (some people go over board and practice hours on end which I don't recommend at all as you'll find you'll actually perform worse towards the end). Obviously get medify and medentry etc if you think it'll be helpful, but I just wanted to clarify that you won't be at a "huge" disadvantage if you can't/ don't get it for whatever reason.

I agree with hungrysalamander and you might also find this link helpful for general hints and tips https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/uni...ses/dentistry/
Oh hey my dude fancy seeing you here! Are you studying Dentistry then?
Thank you a lot what would you recommend for the Interview practice? And work experience?

Thank you,
RoadtoSuccess.
Mesopotamian.
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by RoadtoSuccess)
Oh hey my dude fancy seeing you here! Are you studying Dentistry then?
Thank you a lot what would you recommend for the Interview practice? And work experience?

Thank you,
RoadtoSuccess.
I am indeed
In terms of interviews, it’s pretty much was Sal said - and the link I sent has some tips on it too. You can easily Google common interview questions and prepare for those, but as above, don’t be robotic about memorising them word for word because the stiffness will show through to the interviewers.

And with W/E, you could try asking your own dentist. In-person W/E has always been difficult to get a hold of if you don’t have any connections and it’s going to be even more difficult (I’m inclined to say near impossible even because of the new SOP rules borne from the pandemic). As such, try looking for online/virtual experiences such as the Sheffield MOOC Sal mentioned. There’s also a mentoring programme called Dental Mentor I think which could be worth a Google. Try also applying for dentistry outreach programmes at different dental schools.
RoadtoSuccess
Rep:
I am indeed
In terms of interviews, it’s pretty much was Sal said - and the link I sent has some tips on it too. You can easily Google common interview questions and prepare for those, but as above, don’t be robotic about memorising them word for word because the stiffness will show through to the interviewers.

And with W/E, you could try asking your own dentist. In-person W/E has always been difficult to get a hold of if you don’t have any connections and it’s going to be even more difficult (I’m inclined to say near impossible even because of the new SOP rules borne from the pandemic). As such, try looking for online/virtual experiences such as the Sheffield MOOC Sal mentioned. There’s also a mentoring programme called Dental Mentor I think which could be worth a Google. Try also applying for dentistry outreach programmes at different dental schools.
Thanks which Uni are you attending if I may ask?
Do you have any resources personally that you used / made any questions?
Mesopotamian.
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Thanks which Uni are you attending if I may ask?
Do you have any resources personally that you used / made any questions?
I’d rather not publicly reveal my dental school
I do, but they’re literally just the basic questions you can find on Google. My interview prep wasn’t that great, I’ve got to be honest.
If you’re interested, I think I have a doc of questions you can use to practice that I can copy and paste over PM (I didn’t use these, they were given to me by an ambassador for my dental school last year when I was helping someone else).
RoadtoSuccess
Rep:
I’d rather not publicly reveal my dental school
I do, but they’re literally just the basic questions you can find on Google. My interview prep wasn’t that great, I’ve got to be honest.
If you’re interested, I think I have a doc of questions you can use to practice that I can copy and paste over PM (I didn’t use these, they were given to me by an ambassador for my dental school last year when I was helping someone else).
You can PM me your Dental School I won't tell anyone maybe you go to one I am applying to and you could give me some more advice on it
Yes please if you can give me those questions thank you so much and any other resources you had!
hungrysalamander
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
You can PM me your Dental School I won't tell anyone maybe you go to one I am applying to and you could give me some more advice on it
Yes please if you can give me those questions thank you so much and any other resources you had!
Do you have any dental schools in mind?
Mesopotamian.
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
If you’re applying to the dental school I go to, I would strongly encourage you not to - that would be my advice
I can send you the resources but you’ll have to be patient with me as I’m really busy at the moment and my PMs are turned off. As you’re applying next year, you might have to wait a while, but I won’t forget.
RoadtoSuccess
Rep:
If you’re applying to the dental school I go to, I would strongly encourage you not to - that would be my advice
I can send you the resources but you’ll have to be patient with me as I’m really busy at the moment and my PMs are turned off. As you’re applying next year, you might have to wait a while, but I won’t forget.
This December I'm applying my UCAT test is this August right
Why! All the more reason you should tell me the name if it's not a good one!
Thank you honestly means a lot you know where to find me!
RoadtoSuccess
Rep:
(Original post by hungrysalamander)
Do you have any dental schools in mind?
University of Birmingham, Leeds, Bristol, Plymouth not sure on the 5th atm
Mesopotamian.
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
This December I'm applying my UCAT test is this August right
Why! All the more reason you should tell me the name if it's not a good one!
Thank you honestly means a lot you know where to find me!
The deadline for submitting applications for dentistry is 15th October, every year without fail, so you’ll be applying this September/ October, rather than December :fyi:

And yes, your UCAT can typically be anytime between when bookings open (usually May/June) and when bookings close (October). Preliminary results are released at the end of September roughly which people use to help guide a strategic application in terms of where to apply.

Another point to make is that you can only apply for 4 dental schools - the 5th choice has to be something else. So the ones you’ve got there are fine. I would recommend doing some more research in to them for now and see if they sound like somewhere you’d like to spend 5 years at.
RoadtoSuccess
Rep:
The deadline for submitting applications for dentistry is 15th October, every year without fail, so you’ll be applying this September/ October, rather than December :fyi:

And yes, your UCAT can typically be anytime between when bookings open (usually May/June) and when bookings close (October). Preliminary results are released at the end of September roughly which people use to help guide a strategic application in terms of where to apply.

Another point to make is that you can only apply for 4 dental schools - the 5th choice has to be something else. So the ones you’ve got there are fine. I would recommend doing some more research in to them for now and see if they sound like somewhere you’d like to spend 5 years at.
Thank you for that I have no idea why I thought it was December I appreciate you telling me this!
And okay that makes sense so 4 is fine thankfully, the 5th choice is just any other course?
Thank you once again!
Mesopotamian.
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Thank you for that I have no idea why I thought it was December I appreciate you telling me this!
And okay that makes sense so 4 is fine thankfully, the 5th choice is just any other course?
Thank you once again!
No problem
Yep, so the 5th choice can be another option or you can leave it blank if you know you 100% only want to do dentistry and are prepared to take a gap year if necessary (if you don’t secure an offer and need to reapply).
If you have any more questions, feel free to tag me
RoadtoSuccess
Rep:
No problem
Yep, so the 5th choice can be another option or you can leave it blank if you know you 100% only want to do dentistry and are prepared to take a gap year if necessary (if you don’t secure an offer and need to reapply).
If you have any more questions, feel free to tag me
Thank you, yes I will probably just leave it out then for the 5th it's Dentistry or nothing at this point I am already getting so old now..
For sure I will! Thank you kind sir!
Mesopotamian.
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Thank you, yes I will probably just leave it out then for the 5th it's Dentistry or nothing at this point I am already getting so old now..
For sure I will! Thank you kind sir!
22 is hardly old
Are you a graduate or will this be your first degree?
RoadtoSuccess
Rep:
22 is hardly old
Are you a graduate or will this be your first degree?
23 this year
This will be my first Degree (& last hopefully ) I had a lot of issues back in Secondary School and then medical problems it was terrible, therefore my application has delayed so much..
Fingers crossed I get in next September though won't give up though If it doesn't happen I can't at this rate
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA Combined Science - Biology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (61)
34.86%
The paper was reasonable (69)
39.43%
Not feeling great about that exam... (28)
16%
It was TERRIBLE (17)
9.71%

Watched Threads