Can I distance learn A Level Maths alongside an Access to HE Diploma?

Watch this thread
CletusPotter
Badges: 17
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Hi everyone, I'm considering distance learning A Level Maths alongside the Access to HE: Engineering Diploma. Is this a possible option and if so where can I do this and be able to fund my A Level with an Advance Learner Loan please? Thank you.
McGinger
Badges: 18
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 months ago
Why do you want to do this?
CletusPotter
Rep:
(Original post by McGinger)
Why do you want to do this?
To have a chance of getting into the best Universities e.g. Oxford and Cambridge on a degree in that kind of field.
McGinger
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Then do three A levels.
EOData
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
You don't have to pay for a distance learning course. There are lots of resources on line - with these and a textbook you will be just as well off and save yourself the money.
thegeek888
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by CletusPotter)
Hi everyone, I'm considering distance learning A Level Maths alongside the Access to HE: Engineering Diploma. Is this a possible option and if so where can I do this and be able to fund my A Level with an Advance Learner Loan please? Thank you.
There are online editions of textbooks on z-lib and pdfdrive. lol ...and a lot of websites for past papers, as Edexcel, OCR, OCR MEI, CCEA, AQA and WJEC have the same topics in A-Level Maths and 50% of A-Level Further Maths is the same across all examboards.

Here are the topics in Pearson Edexcel A-Level Maths:

Paper 1: Pure Mathematics 1 (Paper code: 9MA0/01) & Paper 2: Pure Mathematics 2 (Paper code: 9MA0/02)

● Topic 1 – Proof
● Topic 2 – Algebra and functions
● Topic 3 – Coordinate geometry in the (x, y) plane
● Topic 4 – Sequences and series
● Topic 5 – Trigonometry
● Topic 6 – Exponentials and logarithms
● Topic 7 – Differentiation
● Topic 8 – Integration
● Topic 9 – Numerical methods
● Topic 10 – Vectors

Paper 1 and Paper 2 may contain questions on any topics from the Pure Mathematics content.

Paper 3: Statistics and Mechanics (*Paper code: 9MA0/03)

● Topic 1 – Statistical sampling
● Topic 2 – Data presentation and interpretation
● Topic 3 – Probability
● Topic 4 – Statistical distributions
● Topic 5 – Statistical hypothesis testing
● Topic 6 – Quantities and units in mechanics
● Topic 7 – Kinematics
● Topic 8 – Forces and Newton’s laws
● Topic 9 – Moments Assessment overview

You could also do Further Maths, also with Pearson Edexcel; Because Further Mechanics 1 and Further Mechanics 2 is 40% of the A-Level Mechanics content in A-Level Physics.

Core Pure 1 & Core Pure 2

Paper 1: Core Pure Mathematics 1 (Paper code: 9FM0/01) & Paper 2: Core Pure Mathematics 2 (*Paper code: 9FM0/02)

• Proof
• Complex numbers
• Matrices
• Further algebra and functions
• Further calculus
• Further vectors
• Polar coordinates
• Hyperbolic functions
• Differential equations

Further Mechanics 1 (Paper code: 9FM0/3C)

• Momentum and impulse
• Work, energy and power
• Elastic strings and springs and elastic energy
• Elastic collisions in one dimension
• Elastic collisions in two dimensions

Further Mechanics 2 (Paper code: 9FM0/4C)

• Motion in a circle
• Centres of mass of plane figures
• Further centres of mass
• Further dynamics
• Further kinematics

If you use Google and Bing Search Engines effectively, then you can find all the past papers, mark schemes and examiners reports.
Last edited by thegeek888; 3 months ago
CletusPotter
Rep:
Then do three A levels.
That's not a viable option given that my local FE college, City College Norwich, will not allow me to do them once I'm 25. I'll be 25 in July, which will be before next academic year starts.
thegeek888
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
That's not a viable option given that my local FE college, City College Norwich, will not allow me to do them once I'm 25. I'll be 25 in July, which will be before next academic year starts.
Then self study using YouTube and eBooks online.
CletusPotter
Rep:
(Original post by thegeek888)
Then self study using YouTube and eBooks online.
No thanks, I'd much rather use my ALL entitlement and do a course online. I'm no good at self study.
CletusPotter
Rep:
Then do three A levels.
OK then. Do you know any distance learning providers which will allow me to do 3 A Levels online through distance learning and be funded by an ALL?
thegeek888
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
OK then. Do you know any distance learning providers which will allow me to do 3 A Levels online through distance learning and be funded by an ALL?
It is almost impossible to get funding after 19 years of age. Also, the distance learning providers don't guarantee you an A*, A or B grade even?!

Your best choice is to buy the textbooks, use Google and YouTube effectively and self-study. Because if you really want to go to Cambridge University or Oxford University, you'd be doing a lot of self 'directed' study.

There are 1000s of candidates who self teach Maths and Further Maths each year and gain A* and A grades. Also, Economics too, which has no coursework. You will have problems with the practicals in Physics and they cost £1200, for 12 practicals.
CletusPotter
Rep:
(Original post by thegeek888)
It is almost impossible to get funding after 19 years of age. Also, the distance learning providers don't guarantee you an A*, A or B grade even?!

Your best choice is to buy the textbooks, use Google and YouTube effectively and self-study. Because if you really want to go to Cambridge University or Oxford University, you'd be doing a lot of self 'directed' study.

There are 1000s of candidates who self teach Maths and Further Maths each year and gain A* and A grades. Also, Economics too, which has no coursework. You will have problems with the practicals in Physics and they cost £1200, for 12 practicals.
In which case, I give up on Oxbridge. I'd be far better off just doing an Access to HE course instead as that is far more likely to get me where I want to go then trying to self study A Levels.
thegeek888
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
In which case, I give up on Oxbridge. I'd be far better off just doing an Access to HE course instead as that is far more likely to get me where I want to go then trying to self study A Levels.
At the top tier universities, you'd be doing a lot of self-study too. Although you still have lectures and seminars, but ultimately top-ranked degrees involve a lot of self-study.

An Access to HE course won't contain A-Level Maths and A-Level Further Maths content?! So you really are losing out by not giving a shot at self-studying A-Levels.
Arden University
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
CletusPotter
Hello!

I have taught on an Access to HE program for roughly ten years.

Technically, there is nothing to stop you doing two courses at once. However, Access to HE is equivalent to 3 A levels squashed into one year usually, so it is a lot of work. Some F.E colleges enrol learners who are doing a GCSE English and or maths alongside the program, however, there is a large dropout rate for such learners. The best providers do not tend to do that as it affects their progression data. I'm not over familiar with online providers

Marc
Arden University Student Ambassador
CletusPotter
Rep:
(Original post by Arden University)
CletusPotter
Hello!

I have taught on an Access to HE program for roughly ten years.

Technically, there is nothing to stop you doing two courses at once. However, Access to HE is equivalent to 3 A levels squashed into one year usually, so it is a lot of work. Some F.E colleges enrol learners who are doing a GCSE English and or maths alongside the program, however, there is a large dropout rate for such learners. The best providers do not tend to do that as it affects their progression data. I'm not over familiar with online providers

Marc
Arden University Student Ambassador
Agreed Marc. I'm definitely not doing A Level Maths at the same time.
samselfeducation
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
If you do it privately at an exam centre don't see why not. The only exam centre I can recommend due to research at the moment is Tutors and Exam plus for their reasonable prices and multiple choices of centres across the uk. https://www.tutorsandexams.uk/exam-c...xams-can-I-sit
However as for Access to HE course it'll probably have to be done by attending college, don't know if you can pay private exams through tutor and exams through advance learner loan as im self funding, so you'll have to ask tutors and exams themselves.
CletusPotter
Rep:
(Original post by samselfeducation)
If you do it privately at an exam centre don't see why not. The only exam centre I can recommend due to research at the moment is Tutors and Exam plus for their reasonable prices and multiple choices of centres across the uk. https://www.tutorsandexams.uk/exam-c...xams-can-I-sit
However as for Access to HE course it'll probably have to be done by attending college, don't know if you can pay private exams through tutor and exams through advance learner loan as im self funding, so you'll have to ask tutors and exams themselves.
I was planning on doing the Access to HE course either full time over a year at City College Norwich, or from home via Doncaster College.
Last edited by CletusPotter; 3 months ago
samselfeducation
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
I was planning on doing the Access to HE course either full time over a year at City College Norwich, or from home via Doncaster College.
Didn't even know about Doncaster College one, then I'd recommend Doncaster College due to flexibility on learning from home and if you think you capable of doing A levels with your local sixth form while doing Access to Higher Education then by all means do try and do it just see if you can find out if any either courses exam dates collide with one another if you were to do the courses.
CletusPotter
Rep:
(Original post by samselfeducation)
Didn't even know about Doncaster College one, then I'd recommend Doncaster College due to flexibility on learning from home and if you think you capable of doing A levels with your local sixth form while doing Access to Higher Education then by all means do try and do it just see if you can find out if any either courses exam dates collide with one another if you were to do the courses.
Only problem: the Norwich area does not have a local sixth form or FE college which accepts adults for A Levels. I've checked with City College Norwich, and the advisor I spoke to said no.

Thanks for your advice, but I'd rather see if I can get a maintenance loan to allow me to move out of my parents for a year whilst doing Access to HE at a physical college e.g. City College Norwich. I will consult the advice shop there or failing that Student Finance England.

That said, if I were to find a job I could ask Doncaster College if it's possible to do it over two years part time instead of over one year.

Here's the link: https://www.don.ac.uk/courses/dfc01284/

I found out about it through the Access to HE website, I think Doncaster College are the only provider for a distance learning Access to HE: Engineering course approved by Access to HE themselves.
symptom
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
No thanks, I'd much rather use my ALL entitlement and do a course online. I'm no good at self study.
A Levels require lots of self study! Also, what course do you want to apply to? AFAIK Ox and Cam will only allow you to do humanities with an access course, not things like engineering etc. Maybe look at Liverpool as they do foundation years for things like engineering, and consider applicants 21+ with just GCSEs.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA Combined Science - Biology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (59)
34.71%
The paper was reasonable (68)
40%
Not feeling great about that exam... (27)
15.88%
It was TERRIBLE (16)
9.41%

Watched Threads