Foundation year - Potentially failed to meet requirements to progress

Watch this thread
Teacup:)
Badges: 9
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Hello,

I think I have failed to meet the entry requirements to progress. I have been on Plymouth Foundation year Medicine in September. I need an average of at least 60% on each module. I got 59% in a previous module (group work) and I believe I did poor in my exam due to illness. I understand I may get a 61 (to achieve the average percentage pass mark) or above in my exam and scrape it, but what will happen if I fail?

I have been passing on all other modules, but I didn't do well on one of my exams (2 mini essays in 48 hours at home due to COVID). I became sick with wisdom tooth infection during the 48 hour exam period. I understand the uni say if you're fit to turn up to an exam, you were fit enough to take it and if you become unwell during an exam, tell the invigilator and they will mark you absent. The guidelines don't say anything about exams sat at home/COVID adapted. So I didn't have an invigilator/support network to report my sickness too. After my exam, I emailed my tutor. I didn't do this during my exam because I was focused on trying my best and she works part time and it takes a while for a response. I was constantly told by teachers before the exam, don't hand it in late and there wasn't a talk about extenuating circumstances. I started the exam, then fell ill and my quality of work declined. I handed in my exam on time because if I didn't it would defiantly be marked as a pass or if I didn't and my extenuating circumstance form was rejected, it would be marked as a pass. I do have evidence of seeing a dentist and have a prescription for antibiotics.

I'm in the progress of writing an extenuating circumstance form and will email the head of my course.
What typically happens when someone fails a foundation year? Is there anything I can do to help the situation? Can you retake foundation years? Resit exams if you didn't fail, but failed to meet the requirements?

Thank you for any help, I'm really upset and scared I've lost my medicine place.
Last edited by Teacup:); 3 months ago
Anonymous #1
Report 3 months ago
unfortunately I don't have any experience/advice about this but i really hope this works out for you.
Admit-One
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Teacup:))
Hello,

I think I have failed to meet the entry requirements to progress. I have been on Plymouth Foundation year Medicine in September. I need an average of at least 60% on each module. I got 59% in a previous module (group work) and I believe I did poor in my exam due to illness. I understand I may get a 61 (to achieve the average percentage pass mark) or above in my exam and scrape it, but what will happen if I fail?

I have been passing on all other modules, but I didn't do well on one of my exams (2 mini essays in 48 hours at home due to COVID). I became sick with wisdom tooth infection during the 48 hour exam period. I understand the uni say if you're fit to turn up to an exam, you were fit enough to take it and if you become unwell during an exam, tell the invigilator and they will mark you absent. The guidelines don't say anything about exams sat at home/COVID adapted. So I didn't have an invigilator/support network to report my sickness too. After my exam, I emailed my tutor. I didn't do this during my exam because I was focused on trying my best and she works part time and it takes a while for a response. I was constantly told by teachers before the exam, don't hand it in late and there wasn't a talk about extenuating circumstances. I started the exam, then fell ill and my quality of work declined. I handed in my exam on time because if I didn't it would defiantly be marked as a pass or if I didn't and my extenuating circumstance form was rejected, it would be marked as a pass. I do have evidence of seeing a dentist and have a prescription for antibiotics.

I'm in the progress of writing an extenuating circumstance form and will email the head of my course.
What typically happens when someone fails a foundation year? Is there anything I can do to help the situation? Can you retake foundation years? Resit exams if you didn't fail, but failed to meet the requirements?

Thank you for any help, I'm really upset and scared I've lost my medicine place.
You need to read up on your student handbook and speak to either your personal tutor/academic department about this.

In some cases you may be able to resit, but equally resit grades may be capped which could prevent you from progressing.

At my own uni, we do reject candidates who don't meet the progression requirements, so that's the worst case scenario. But your uni will have it's own specific regulations so you need to speak to them, especially if you have mitigating circumstances, (although you should raise these before receiving your grades).
Advertisement
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (2)
28.57%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (0)
0%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (1)
14.29%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (1)
14.29%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (1)
14.29%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (2)
28.57%

Watched Threads