Year 12: (am I disadvantaged by not choosing 4 a levels) any words of advice?

Watch this thread
lbottle755
Badges: 1
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
I am in year 12 studying maths, further maths and physics. I am doing quite well at these subjects at the moment, and I'm considering applying to top universities for 2023 (for some STEM subject, leaning towards maths at the moment, but also considering types of engineering)

However, I sort of regret not choosing a 4th subject at the beginning of the year, such as chemistry or computer science as I usually have a lot of spare time on my hands. Am I less likely to be accepted by a top university for not choosing 4 a levels? Because every uni bases their offers off 3 a level subjects, but I feel like I'm less likely to be chosen amongst other candidates in a way. Or would it be better to be using the time to be proactive elsewhere and focus in areas which would improve the quality of my personal statement.

Also, are there any other types of engineering which require a level chemistry to study?

Answers to any of these questions would be appreciated thanks
McGinger
Badges: 18
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 months ago
There is no advantage in doing 4 subjects.
No University requires more than 3 subjects and doing more doesnt get you any extra credit.
If anything you risk all your grades by taking on too much.

Remember, AAA will always look better than ABBB.
EOData
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Many chemical engineering degrees require A level Chemistry, but not all.
mj04
Badges: 5
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by lbottle755)
I am in year 12 studying maths, further maths and physics. I am doing quite well at these subjects at the moment, and I'm considering applying to top universities for 2023 (for some STEM subject, leaning towards maths at the moment, but also considering types of engineering)

However, I sort of regret not choosing a 4th subject at the beginning of the year, such as chemistry or computer science as I usually have a lot of spare time on my hands. Am I less likely to be accepted by a top university for not choosing 4 a levels? Because every uni bases their offers off 3 a level subjects, but I feel like I'm less likely to be chosen amongst other candidates in a way. Or would it be better to be using the time to be proactive elsewhere and focus in areas which would improve the quality of my personal statement.

Also, are there any other types of engineering which require a level chemistry to study?

Answers to any of these questions would be appreciated thanks
As you are doing further maths as one of your 3, maybe a fourth would be beneficial but it wont affect your likeliness of being accepeted to uni.
thegeek888
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Usually, if you take Further Maths, then your Sixth Form or College should make you take three other subjects as well.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you done work experience at school/college?

Yes (154)
41.62%
Not yet, but I will soon (69)
18.65%
No (147)
39.73%

Watched Threads