Can an introvert become a vet nurse?

Watch this thread
Alicehale6
Badges: 9
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
So I'm currently a veterinary care assistant at a vets and wanting to later progress onto doing the veterinary nursing, I'm loving working at the vets, I get on with the staff, and my boss did say to my supervisor that he would take me on for to become a nurse.
However, I'm quite an introvert, I like my own space majority of the time and don't interact with my colleagues as much as everyone else does.
Would me being an introvert be an issue for me wanting to become a vet nurse??
RambleAmple
Badges: 17
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 months ago
I used to be a massive introvert, however I think it depends on how you are in professional circumstances - for example even if I wasn’t too chatty in “down time” with colleagues (at a restaurant in my gap year before doing vet med) because I was shy I could still communicate with them to get jobs done effectively, and talk to customers to get things done but also be able to do some small talk to seem friendly etc as that is important to any business. If you can do that then I don’t see why not, but if you do find it hard to effectively communicate at all with colleagues or clients then that might be an issue since obviously good communication is a core important value in a vet team. But also you still have time to perhaps develop more “extrovert” skills as a care assistant, in my gap year I did a 180 and went from shy and introverted to more outgoing and extroverted even though that is something I could’ve never imagined, and it was mostly from my colleagues bringing it out of me, so there is time to help develop more communication skills if you feel you aren’t quite there yet.
Alicehale6
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
I mean I can talk with my colleagues regarding the work, I'm not very good at having small talk, I do a little bit.Like when I was in my old job working in a shop, I was like this too, but over time I began to be a little more comfortable with some of my colleagues and was able have small talk with some of the customers as well. Cause obviously if I want to be a nurse I'm gonna have to talk on the phone, which I think I'm getting a little better at, like I'm I've been told
RambleAmple
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
I’d just work on small talk, especially with clients - you don’t have to have a massive conversation with everyone and probably wouldn’t have the time anyway, but I think in an animal setting it’s even easier as most people like to speak about their pets. Just passing in the waiting room or something “oh he looks gorgeous! What’s his name? How long have you had him?” Etc are just some quick small talk things that can get a client to get a friendly vibe from you (and therefore the clinic) and perhaps if they’re nervous about being at the vets it can help ease the nerves a little bit. With colleagues it’s the same - I think it’s fine to keep to yourself at lunch etc and be more introverted but it might be good to be able to ask things like “how was your weekend? Are you doing anything nice on your days off?” Etc just to keep on good terms as that can help with work too. But I do think that’s just something you can maybe work on for now, and it’s most important you can just effectively communicate about work things, so if it sounds like you can do that then I wouldn’t worry too much.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your Edexcel A-level Economics Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (62)
15.78%
The paper was reasonable (192)
48.85%
Not feeling great about that exam... (100)
25.45%
It was TERRIBLE (39)
9.92%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed