The Student Room Group

UCAS 2022 applicants, how are you coping with the wait to hear back from Unis?

Hello! First time UCAS applicant here. One thing that I didn't prepare for in this process, was the long, almost anxiety inducing wait to hear back from Universities.

With the UCAS deadline fast approaching, I am aware that right now admissions teams must be under such a huge amount of pressure, but the days since I've applied have felt longer than usual in the wait to hear about any offers.

I have found myself with the tabs constantly open on my laptop, waiting to hear some news from my choices and it is so aaaa. So, I know the answer here is to probably close my tabs, get some fresh air, maybe game or try to have other distractions for a few hours, but I wanted to hear about what other applicants might be doing to minimise the stress at this time?

Either way, sending the best of luck to all who have applied so far and to those who are finishing up their application to meet the deadline. I hope you all get answers swiftly and that the best possible outcome happens for you :h:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I submitted my application back in October for architecture and i’ve heard back from 2 universities, one of them was unsuccessful. I’m trying to distract myself from waiting for decisions by studying for my ISC exams which are SO STRESSFUL. Sometimes I just procrastinate by going on movie marathons lol.
Reply 2
aaah I’m in the same boat as you haha.

I think it’s best not to think about it too much and use this time to focus on the exams! (although I am literally also refreshing my email and checking UCAS every 2 seconds hehe).

wishing you the best of luck for your offers <33
Most top Unis do not make the bulk of their offers until after the January UCAS deadline and the final offers will not be made until April/May. Hang on in there - an offer is an offer whenever you get it.
I have been checking my email, TSR, and UCAS every single day recently, I can't help but obsess over it at this point so I completely understand where you're coming from aaaa
Original post by nusk
I submitted my application back in October for architecture and i’ve heard back from 2 universities, one of them was unsuccessful. I’m trying to distract myself from waiting for decisions by studying for my ISC exams which are SO STRESSFUL. Sometimes I just procrastinate by going on movie marathons lol.

Ahh this is all so stressful isn’t it? I don’t blame you for the movie marathons…. I’ve been rewatching don’t look up for a few weeks now 🤣
Original post by McGinger
Most top Unis do not make the bulk of their offers until after the January UCAS deadline and the final offers will not be made until April/May. Hang on in there - an offer is an offer whenever you get it.

The deadline is the 26th of Jan right? I have a feeling I’ll probably hear about any offers from the beginning of Feb onwards. 🥲
Original post by greenmean
I have been checking my email, TSR, and UCAS every single day recently, I can't help but obsess over it at this point so I completely understand where you're coming from aaaa

AAAAA someone who knows what its like xD when did you put in your application?
Original post by AliceRoseGuy
AAAAA someone who knows what its like xD when did you put in your application?

24th December, I've received 2 counter offers (York and Notts) and 1 conditional offer I actually WANT (Kent) -_- I'm trying hard to be patient but I'm worried that I'm just gonna keep getting endless counter offers!!! So stressful!!! My ideal uni is Royal Holloway, what's yours?
@AliceRoseGuy I just saw in the Cardiff applicant thread that we've both applied for psychology there AHAHA

I'm still waiting to hear back from Cardiff myself, as well as City UOL (I managed to substitute York early on) and Royal Holloway :smile:
@AliceRoseGuy I just saw in the Cardiff applicant thread that we've both applied for psychology there AHAHA

I'm still waiting to hear back from Cardiff myself, as well as City UOL (I managed to substitute York early on) and Royal Holloway :smile:

Ahahaha NO WAY so we are in the exact same position as I am in with regards to Cardiff + Psychology at the moment. So far I have a hold from Bristol but every where else is kinda radio silence at the moment.

As for the constant counter offers, honestly I really do feel for you. It must be frustrating, I'm guessing you just want to do an overall Psych degree rather than one with + education or something like that?
Ahahaha NO WAY so we are in the exact same position as I am in with regards to Cardiff + Psychology at the moment. So far I have a hold from Bristol but every where else is kinda radio silence at the moment.

As for the constant counter offers, honestly I really do feel for you. It must be frustrating, I'm guessing you just want to do an overall Psych degree rather than one with + education or something like that?

That is EXACTLY the problem! York gave me exactly that offer and I do notttt want that DX I don't mind the other options that RH have because they seem interesting (clinical, developmental) but I'm tired of getting offers like 'psych + education' and 'sociology' -_-

I hope that you hear back from the other unis soon. Like you said, I anticipate that you'll get more offers from the beginning of February :smile: Keep me posted!
I'm not
Reply 13
Hello! First time UCAS applicant here. One thing that I didn't prepare for in this process, was the long, almost anxiety inducing wait to hear back from Universities.

With the UCAS deadline fast approaching, I am aware that right now admissions teams must be under such a huge amount of pressure, but the days since I've applied have felt longer than usual in the wait to hear about any offers.

I have found myself with the tabs constantly open on my laptop, waiting to hear some news from my choices and it is so aaaa. So, I know the answer here is to probably close my tabs, get some fresh air, maybe game or try to have other distractions for a few hours, but I wanted to hear about what other applicants might be doing to minimise the stress at this time?

Either way, sending the best of luck to all who have applied so far and to those who are finishing up their application to meet the deadline. I hope you all get answers swiftly and that the best possible outcome happens for you :h:

It has been sooooo hard just sitting and waiting. I'm planning on applying to at least one scholarship/grant and it's hard to do that when you've not gotten any offers. I submitted my application 4th January or so
That is EXACTLY the problem! York gave me exactly that offer and I do notttt want that DX I don't mind the other options that RH have because they seem interesting (clinical, developmental) but I'm tired of getting offers like 'psych + education' and 'sociology' -_-

I hope that you hear back from the other unis soon. Like you said, I anticipate that you'll get more offers from the beginning of February :smile: Keep me posted!

Oh man, thats so annoying! What are your predicted grades, I wonder whether they're being strict this year at all about them? I defo would not be happy with any counter offers other than Psychology *bites nails* but will definitely keep you updated with things. I hope you get that psychology offer, like you absolutely deserve. :h:
Original post by DohRah
It has been sooooo hard just sitting and waiting. I'm planning on applying to at least one scholarship/grant and it's hard to do that when you've not gotten any offers. I submitted my application 4th January or so

Wow, so it's been more than two weeks for you. That suggest to me that they're overwhelmed and waiting for this deadline before sending offers out at this moment in time. Who have you applied to if you're happy to share?

I'm also hoping to apply to a grant/ scholarship for similar reasons, so I'm in the same boat as you. At least we are suffering the radio silence together :redface:
Oh man, thats so annoying! What are your predicted grades, I wonder whether they're being strict this year at all about them? I defo would not be happy with any counter offers other than Psychology *bites nails* but will definitely keep you updated with things. I hope you get that psychology offer, like you absolutely deserve. :h:

I'm predicted D*DD in Business national ext diploma lvl3, so I haven't got the best start as I'm not on A-levels entirely. On top of that, I have a 4 in GCSE maths and only 5 A*-C GCSEs. Although I am doing A-level psych privately, because I don't have a predicted grade for it, it's a bit meaningless at this stage D: Hopefully it ends up alright though, who knows what'll happen!
Yeah, the wait can be very long.... I still haven't heard back from Edi, St Andrews & Imperial - all of which have said they will reply in March time. I think the best thing to do is forget about it once you have 1 offer, because you know you have somewhere & refreshing UCAS every day becomes exhausting!
I'm predicted D*DD in Business national ext diploma lvl3, so I haven't got the best start as I'm not on A-levels entirely. On top of that, I have a 4 in GCSE maths and only 5 A*-C GCSEs. Although I am doing A-level psych privately, because I don't have a predicted grade for it, it's a bit meaningless at this stage D: Hopefully it ends up alright though, who knows what'll happen!

Ahhhh gawd, that explains perhaps why the process isn't as simple for you. I'm studying A level Psych also but distanced learning, alongside maths, and my provider has given me predicted grades as well as a reference. I guess I'm lucky in that I already have an A in spanish and have As predicted for the other two, as well achieved As-Cs in my GCSES from 2014. ( trying to not flex this, but there seems to be perhaps some kind of weirdness from some unis when you're applying with a mixture of qualification types)

So you're still waiting to hear back from 3 other unis? I'm sure you'll get some offers from them. D*DD in business and a potential A/B/C in Psychology is still rather good, doing an a level alongside a diploma doesn't leave you with a huge amount of time to yourself either so big kudos for working so hard :h: Have you got any unis that you may consider going through clearing if the time comes in sept?
Original post by booklover1313
Yeah, the wait can be very long.... I still haven't heard back from Edi, St Andrews & Imperial - all of which have said they will reply in March time. I think the best thing to do is forget about it once you have 1 offer, because you know you have somewhere & refreshing UCAS every day becomes exhausting!

Gah indeed the wait is frustrating. Glad to see other people in a similar boat. Do you have an offer yet at all? I think I'm just nervous sitting at the ucas portal with 0 offers at the moment, and like you say things will be easier once I have one sitting in there for me.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending