The Student Room Group

History exam

I failed my history exam for the term and I know it even if the results didn't come out yet. This happened to me last year as well and ended up giving me a lower GPA. I feel like a loser making the same mistake again. Is there any advice to get over this 'tests are the end of the world' kind of situation? Im struggling to gain my self confidence with this subject.
Im currently in year 9 so it is my last year to learn this subject, but my parents are very strict with grades so I'm feeling quite nervous for the reports.
Hi there, I'm not exactly sure what you mean by GPA, I don't think we have it in the UK (it's more of a US thing) or perhaps I've just never come across it. Regardless, I understand what you're going through, whenever you get a test you scored badly in, it can really take a toll on your mental health. I need you to understand that you have time to improve. Though, you really have to put your mind to it: history is a difficult subject for a lot of people. You must, and I mean must, take your teacher's feedback seriously. Act on feedback/targets given and keep them in mind for the next test - teacher's work hard to mark pieces of work and they don't just write stuff for fun! I would say I'm pretty good at History (working at grade 9) and I do the Edexcel 9-1 course (Elizabethan England 1558-1603, Development of The USA 1929-2000, Crime and Punishment, Germany in Transition 1919-1939). I haven't finished the entire thing. Problem is, you haven't really provided much detail! It'd be helpful for me if you could outline you situation. What course do you do? What components do you do? What content do you struggle with (if any)? What exam-related skills do you struggle with (e.g. timings, structure, revision)? If you answer those I can really target the areas which you really need help on! Aside from that, I want to say, you're no loser. You need to cool down and try find a new approach, and you've already started doing that by reaching out for help here! Talk to your teachers, take what they're saying to heart. Good luck, and I hope to hear from you soon!
Original post by thanku
I failed my history exam for the term and I know it even if the results didn't come out yet. This happened to me last year as well and ended up giving me a lower GPA. I feel like a loser making the same mistake again. Is there any advice to get over this 'tests are the end of the world' kind of situation? Im struggling to gain my self confidence with this subject.
Im currently in year 9 so it is my last year to learn this subject, but my parents are very strict with grades so I'm feeling quite nervous for the reports.

I don't know a lot about how GPA's work, but I think you should take your mind of the results until they actually come out. We often underestimate how good we are, and who knows, you might get better that you expected. Regardless of the outcome, you can't do anything to change the test or the results so the best thing you can do now is revise well for any other upcoming tests.

If you are in the UK, whatever you do in yr9 basically means nothing, the actual qualification you get is when you are in yr11 for your actual GCSE's. No one, apart from you and your parents will know or even care about the mark you got on a history test in yr9 as it is irrelevant, even if you pursue history further down the road.

Quick Reply