Paramedic or something else?

Watch this thread
username54
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Hi guys,
Im currently in year 12 and im thinking about uni courses id like to do. I want to become a paramedic but im not the biggest fan of science. What should i do?
username54
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Im also thinking about doing law with criminology
McGinger
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Start by researching what a Paramedic actually does and what the degree involves and the A level subjects you need.
Btw, you will also need 'caring experience' - as with Nursing, Medicine, Dentistry, its the sort of degree where you need a great deal of relevant experience and many schoold leavers get rejected because they dont have this. Start here : https://www.prospects.ac.uk/job-profiles/paramedic And this website is useful for researcjing all healthcare roles - https://www.healthcareers.nhs.uk/explore-roles

For Law careers - https://www.prospects.ac.uk/jobs-and...ors/law-sector
username54
Rep:
(Original post by McGinger)
Start by researching what a Paramedic actually does and what the degree involves and the A level subjects you need.
Btw, you will also need 'caring experience' - as with Nursing, Medicine, Dentistry, its the sort of degree where you need a great deal of relevant experience and many schoold leavers get rejected because they dont have this. Start here : https://www.prospects.ac.uk/job-profiles/paramedic And this website is useful for researcjing all healthcare roles - https://www.healthcareers.nhs.uk/explore-roles

For Law careers - https://www.prospects.ac.uk/jobs-and...ors/law-sector
I've done my research about being a paramedic and i do btec science which is accepted in most unis. I don't know where to get caring experience, i've already contacted st johns ambulance but they don't do work experience

As for law, haven't done much research but I'm interested in the criminal justice side of things
McGinger
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by username54)
I don't know where to get caring experience, i've already contacted st johns ambulance but they don't do work experience
Care Homes, Hospices, Special Schools, Homeless Shelters etc etc.
Ask if there are any opportunities for 'volunteers' - many may not want to offer structured 'work experience' and this may seem easier to them.
username54
Rep:
Care Homes, Hospices, Special Schools, Homeless Shelters etc etc.
Ask if there are any opportunities for 'volunteers' - many may not want to offer structured 'work experience' and this may seem easier to them.
Would normal schools be okay?
McGinger
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by username54)
Would normal schools be okay?
Yes - understanding children is an important part of the job - but you will also need extensive 'other' experience and if the other environments put you off, then you might need to rethink being a Paramedic. Other NHS roles here - https://www.healthcareers.nhs.uk/explore-roles
username54
Rep:
Yes - understanding children is an important part of the job - but you will also need extensive 'other' experience and if the other environments put you off, then you might need to rethink being a Paramedic. Other NHS roles here - https://www.healthcareers.nhs.uk/explore-roles
Thank you, I'm not really good at science so does this mean it may not be the right career choice? Im good at essay subjects but i don't know what to do
McGinger
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
If you are interested in working with kids look at other degrees like Childhood Development/Childhood Studies, or Teaching, or just look at Teaching Assistant Apprenticeships. For other 'caring' or healthcare roles - look at the other jobs in the NHS Job roles link.
username54
Rep:
Nah Im
If you are interested in working with kids look at other degrees like Childhood Development/Childhood Studies, or Teaching, or just look at Teaching Assistant Apprenticeships. For other 'caring' or healthcare roles - look at the other jobs in the NHS Job roles link.
Not really interested in working with children. I would like a hands on degree, something practical
arthurchristie
Badges: 5
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Hi!

I work frontline (not yet a paramedic though). It's really interesting and challenging and a career I would recommend to anyone. Honestly the majority of the work mainly needs strong social/communication and of course practical skills but you do need a good ability to understand a pretty solid level of anatomy and physiology that underpins it all. Forward development in the field, you could go into management etc but to go into advanced practice of any kind is going to really be even more learning of science and anatomy.

Criminology sounds interesting! Maybe also have a look at social work if you interested in working face-to-face with service users, but with less science/medicine than a paramedic. They're registered professionals like paramedics, and can get quite senior in terms of pay/responsibility. I believe they used to be registered with the HCPC like paramedics, but now are registered with Social Work England (have a look at their website if you're interested).

Hope this helps
username54
Rep:
Thank you very much, I've now narrowed my options down to either a paramedic or something to do with media
(Original post by arthurchristie)
Hi!

I work frontline (not yet a paramedic though). It's really interesting and challenging and a career I would recommend to anyone. Honestly the majority of the work mainly needs strong social/communication and of course practical skills but you do need a good ability to understand a pretty solid level of anatomy and physiology that underpins it all. Forward development in the field, you could go into management etc but to go into advanced practice of any kind is going to really be even more learning of science and anatomy.

Criminology sounds interesting! Maybe also have a look at social work if you interested in working face-to-face with service users, but with less science/medicine than a paramedic. They're registered professionals like paramedics, and can get quite senior in terms of pay/responsibility. I believe they used to be registered with the HCPC like paramedics, but now are registered with Social Work England (have a look at their website if you're interested).

Hope this helps
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA Combined Science - Biology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (61)
34.66%
The paper was reasonable (70)
39.77%
Not feeling great about that exam... (28)
15.91%
It was TERRIBLE (17)
9.66%

Watched Threads