Dodori
Badges: 5
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Hello, I am a Year 11 student and soon I have to choose my A-level options. I am thinking of doing EPQ but I am still not sure... if you have done/are doing EPQ as an A level option, can you please help me?

Here are some of the questions that I have:
1) What are the advantages and disadvantages of doing EPQ?
2) does it take a lot of time to do EPQ?
3) Does doing EPQ help me with my uni application? I am thinking of applying to medicine.

If you have any other advice about EPQ or A levels in general, please tell me. Thank you!!
Cote1
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 months ago
Advantages are that it does help teach you skills, including how to research, evaluate sources, construct balanced arguments, write in an academic style, write extended essays and reference. These independent study skills will help you at university and universities recognise this. It could show universities that you have managed your time to cope with A levels and an EPQ.

You can choose an interesting subject. You can choose a topic to further your knowledge of the course you would like to do as a degree.

Some universities lower their offer by one grade or so (usually one) if you get an A or B (often they ask for an A, I think). However, I don't know if this applies to medicine? You could check this as individual universities have their entry requirements on their course pages. An EPQ gives UCAS points but I don't think that this applies to medicine. An EPQ could be something to talk about in a potential interview.

Disadvantages are that it takes a lot of time. The estimate is 120 hours but it could definitely take you longer. It can easily be a distraction from A level study. Some students are better off choosing to focus on their A levels.

As above, it may not reduce an offer for medicine - this would need to be checked as I don't know.

It is additional stress at a time when you are studying for A levels. It can stressful as it involves learning new skills and working independently so it is different to A level study.

It is worth bearing in mind that can do other things such as voluntary work to talk about in a potential interview or enhance your university applications.
Last edited by Cote1; 3 months ago
Dodori
Badges: 5
Rep:
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
(Original post by Cote1)
Advantages are that it does help teach you skills, including how to research, evaluate sources, construct balanced arguments, write in an academic style, write extended essays and reference. These independent study skills will help you at university and universities recognise this. It could show universities that you have managed your time to cope with A levels and an EPQ.

You can choose an interesting subject. You can choose a topic to further your knowledge of the course you would like to do as a degree.

Some universities lower their offer by one grade or so (usually one) if you get an A or B (often they ask for an A, I think). However, I don't know if this applies to medicine? You could check this as individual universities have their entry requirements on their course pages. An EPQ gives UCAS points but I don't think that this applies to medicine. An EPQ could be something to talk about in a potential interview.

Disadvantages are that it takes a lot of time. The estimate is 120 hours but it could definitely take you longer. It can easily be a distraction from A level study. Some students are better off choosing to focus on their A levels.

As above, it may not reduce an offer for medicine - this would need to be checked as I don't know.

It is additional stress at a time when you are studying for A levels. It can stressful as it involves learning new skills and working independently so it is different to A level study.

It is worth bearing in mind that can do other things such as voluntary work to talk about in a potential interview or enhance your university applications.
Thank you so much!! XD
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA GCSE English Language Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (92)
19.96%
The paper was reasonable (176)
38.18%
Not feeling great about that exam... (119)
25.81%
It was TERRIBLE (74)
16.05%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed