eBay seller threatened me with court action and then to come to my house.

Watch this thread
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
I bought a new hoodie last week from an eBay seller at the cost of £20. It wasn't anything special just something for me to wear to keep me warm. Anyway, the seller accidentally sent me two hoodies instead of one and me being the honest person I let them know. I was hoping they would send me a label to post it back as this was their mistake not mine. I wish I never said anything now as the night I emailed them I tested positive for COVID after my son's test came back the same day.
I received a reply the next day and the seller was rather rude and demanded I send it back on the fastest service available. I replied to explain I currently have COVID and will do so the moment I am in the clear. The hoodie was bagged up and put away with the aim of cleaning the bag down before sending it back for extra piece of mind.
The seller responded unreasonably and demanded I send it back "right now" and told me my pity story wasn't going to get me a free hoodie.
Honestly, I can't believe how rude this person is and the way they are acting. I'm not going to break rules to please them when they made a mistake. The way I see it they can wait. But now they are threatening me with a small claims as "I'm stealing" from them. I wish I never said anything at all! But then again I'm not a thief and I don't want to take away from a small business. I've tried to report to eBay because I felt they were unstable and would just keep threatening me. Well this morning they said they would come to my house to collect the hoodie and the petrol morning for driving to my house if I don't post the hoodie back today. I don't feel safe knowing some stranger could come to my house, especially after how aggressive and rude they were to me in messages. Is this a cause for calling the police? I don't really want this person showing up at my house and accusing me of being a thief.
Muttly
Badges: 17
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 months ago
I wouldn't worry at all - clearly the louder the online shout the weaker the individual.

I understand you informed them? And you also informed them you would post the spare back?

They don't have a leg to stand on - in fact they are lucky you are as honest as you are

Just post it back when you are well - if they want to get it collected by all means that's their choice - but they sound a horrible nest of vipers to have to do business with.

Chill - empty threats are cheap and easy

You retain the moral high ground

Get well soon
mnot
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 months ago
If they come id just give them the hoodie, I wouldn’t give any petrol money & if they demand it I would tell the to leave your property immediately and you will call the police if they do not.

If they want the hoodie, id just send a message explaining this will be your final communication if they are threatening/not constructive. And explain you leave isolation on day xyz, and you will post the item back to them IF they provide you the money to return the item, id say this is not a negotiation, it’s not your fault they sent two. This is what you are willing to do, take it or leave it. Anything other constructive dialogue will lead you to stop responding and inform ebay.
skylark2
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
I would say you'll arrange a day to leave it on the step in a bag for them to collect when you no longer have Covid. No petrol money. They already know what your address is since they posted it to you, so you don't gain anything by saying they can't pick it up.

I wouldn't post it back. There's no reason for their mistake to cost you money.

If they kick off online, report them to ebay (actually I would report them to ebay anyway given what they have already done). If you have concerns for your real life safety, call the police (but a lot of people are keyboard warriors and chances are that absolutely nothing will happen.)
bones-mccoy
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Their mistake, they pay for the cost of sending it back to them. Open a case with eBay and show them the message conversation between the two of you, including all the threats.
Sidehustle
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
They are going to take you to court over a £20 hoodie!:rofl3:

Pitiful!
CletusPotter
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I bought a new hoodie last week from an eBay seller at the cost of £20. It wasn't anything special just something for me to wear to keep me warm. Anyway, the seller accidentally sent me two hoodies instead of one and me being the honest person I let them know. I was hoping they would send me a label to post it back as this was their mistake not mine. I wish I never said anything now as the night I emailed them I tested positive for COVID after my son's test came back the same day.
I received a reply the next day and the seller was rather rude and demanded I send it back on the fastest service available. I replied to explain I currently have COVID and will do so the moment I am in the clear. The hoodie was bagged up and put away with the aim of cleaning the bag down before sending it back for extra piece of mind.
The seller responded unreasonably and demanded I send it back "right now" and told me my pity story wasn't going to get me a free hoodie.
Honestly, I can't believe how rude this person is and the way they are acting. I'm not going to break rules to please them when they made a mistake. The way I see it they can wait. But now they are threatening me with a small claims as "I'm stealing" from them. I wish I never said anything at all! But then again I'm not a thief and I don't want to take away from a small business. I've tried to report to eBay because I felt they were unstable and would just keep threatening me. Well this morning they said they would come to my house to collect the hoodie and the petrol morning for driving to my house if I don't post the hoodie back today. I don't feel safe knowing some stranger could come to my house, especially after how aggressive and rude they were to me in messages. Is this a cause for calling the police? I don't really want this person showing up at my house and accusing me of being a thief.
Simple. You respond by saying "I do not consent to dealing with you at my home address, therefore I am revoking your Implied Right of Access. If you attend, then you will trespassing, and it is my intent to take legal advice should you do so. It will also constitute harassment, which is a criminal offence, and I will also report you to the Police if you commit that or any other offence." If they refuse to listen, report it to the Police. If they actually turn up then it's also harassment, which is a Police matter. I'd advise dialling 999 and request the Police attend immediately, as people coming round to collect money don't typically ask nicely.
CletusPotter
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by mnot)
If they come id just give them the hoodie, I wouldn’t give any petrol money & if they demand it I would tell the to leave your property immediately and you will call the police if they do not.

If they want the hoodie, id just send a message explaining this will be your final communication if they are threatening/not constructive. And explain you leave isolation on day xyz, and you will post the item back to them IF they provide you the money to return the item, id say this is not a negotiation, it’s not your fault they sent two. This is what you are willing to do, take it or leave it. Anything other constructive dialogue will lead you to stop responding and inform ebay.
Wrong. Refuse to open the door. Or even respond to their presence. If they are persistent and don't immediately leave, then you call the Police on 999. This is because such people don't ask nicely. That way they can't mug you.

If you open the door then they could just pull a gun or knife on you and mug you for the money, or even just attack you outright. It's not worth it. People who turn up despite being unwelcome aren't going to listen to you. If they immediately change their mind and start leaving, then it's a non-emergency matter which you can report via 101.
Admit-One
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
If they showed up at my door after I told them I had COVID you better believe I would be maskless and coughing a lot.

Honestly, I would just email them back and say "As previously noted, I will be posting the hoody back to you on DATE when I am am no longer required to isolate. Please check my ebay feedback if you have any concerns about my trustworthiness. I would note that if I intended to keep the second hoody that you sent in error, I would simply have not notified you about it in the first place.".
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Thanks for your replies everyone. I was in hospital the last few days so couldn't reply. I'm out now and recovering. Turns out they did show up at my house. My fiance came round to stay and watch my son as I had nobody else willing to take care of him at home while I went in because I couldn't breath. Anyways he told him in not so nice terms to go away. The hoodie was thrown in the bin. I had no idea until I got home and he told me. I contacted paypal and the agent told me not to send back as this is their mistake and the guy said to ignore future messages as he harassing me. Police have also been made aware and the officer who called me back to see if anything else has happened told me himself that I am not in the wrong and the guy sounds like he's a bit of mad one. Anyways I don't think he will be back. If he does come back I'll take your advise. I won't be opening any future messages from this person.
Admit-One
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Thanks for your replies everyone. I was in hospital the last few days so couldn't reply. I'm out now and recovering. Turns out they did show up at my house. My fiance came round to stay and watch my son as I had nobody else willing to take care of him at home while I went in because I couldn't breath. Anyways he told him in not so nice terms to go away. The hoodie was thrown in the bin. I had no idea until I got home and he told me. I contacted paypal and the agent told me not to send back as this is their mistake and the guy said to ignore future messages as he harassing me. Police have also been made aware and the officer who called me back to see if anything else has happened told me himself that I am not in the wrong and the guy sounds like he's a bit of mad one. Anyways I don't think he will be back. If he does come back I'll take your advise. I won't be opening any future messages from this person.
Yikes. I am glad that you weren’t around when they showed up, but obviously not because you were so unwell at the time. Wishing you the best with the rest of your recovery.
CosmicApathy1
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Some guy threatened to call police on me because I rightly claimed the game code for my PS4 wasn't working. I just went to eBay to get my money back and he did jackshit. The guy threating you is a weak little *****.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA Combined Science - Biology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (61)
34.66%
The paper was reasonable (70)
39.77%
Not feeling great about that exam... (28)
15.91%
It was TERRIBLE (17)
9.66%

Watched Threads