fourth choice for a levels?

Watch this thread
bryantw17
Badges: 8
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
fyi: I'm in year 11 and the first three subjects that I wanna pick are maths, econ and geography
I'm thinking of pursuing a career in urban planning or surveyor but it's still quite early so I wanna leave my options open.
I'm considering of maybe taking a 4th choice.

- should I base my fourth choice on either bio or chem?
tbh I am not as interested in taking either of these 2 but they are the more useful subjects that I can think of
- is chemistry actually worth it?
- or is there more and better-suited subjects to take for urban planning?

thanks
skylark2
Badges: 18
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 months ago
If the most important thing for you is keeping your options open, don't bother with economics. It's not a requirement for anything, not even an economics degree. Pick a different third A level, one which is a requirement in subject areas you might be interested in, rather than adding a fourth.

If you look at job adverts for urban planning or surveying, what qualifications do they ask for? Probably not specific A levels, but probably a degree in a relevant subject... now, what A levels do those degrees require and/or recommend at a few universities? It's likely that you'll do that and discover that maths and geography already cover you for everything you'll need, at which point your third can be whatever you enjoy most / will do well in. Economics will be absolutely fine at that point.
McGinger
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
You dont need to be taking 4 A levels.
No UK Uni wants more than 3 and they will usually just ignore the 4th grade.
Remember, AAA will always look better than ABBB on Results Day.

Look instead at doing an EPQ if your school offers this - small research project equivalent to an AS and is useful for subject enhancement and as a topic to discuss in your eventual UCAS Personal Statement - more info : https://www.bath.ac.uk/campaigns/tak...r-application/
risa
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
hiya, doing 4 a levels is certainly difficult. I’m doing maths, econ, chem and english right now as a yr 13 student I think out of all my subjects, econ is the easiest, probably because I’m used to writing essays.
Honestly, if you don’t need chem or bio for your uni course, I would highly recommend not picking it as they’re content HEAVY and difficult. I made the same mistake: I don’t need chem for my uni course but studied it as I thought it would look good, but now it’s my worst subject
Honestly, I don’t even know if my 4th a level helped me stand out in my uni applications - I got accepted for all my offers, but so did all my other friends with 3 subjects with the same courses as me.
If you still want a 4th A level, I wouldn’t recommend doing a subject that doesn’t relate to your future plans. Looking at your future plans, I can only really think of further maths that mayyyy possibly help, but that is also difficult.
conclusion, don’t pick sciences for no reason!!

but that’s of course my own opinion ;-; feel free to ask if u have questions still.
thegeek888
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by bryantw17)
fyi: I'm in year 11 and the first three subjects that I wanna pick are maths, econ and geography
I'm thinking of pursuing a career in urban planning or surveyor but it's still quite early so I wanna leave my options open.

tbh I am not as interested in taking either of these 2 but they are the more useful subjects that I can think of

thanks
Bryan you should consider doing Further Maths as a 4th A-Level!!! Because you could study Engineering, Maths or Economics or even Computer Science at Cambridge, Oxford, Imperial, LSE, UCL and Warwick.

Core Pure 1 & Core Pure 2

Paper 1: Core Pure Mathematics 1 (Paper code: 9FM0/01) & Paper 2: Core Pure Mathematics 2 (Paper code: 9FM0/02)

• Proof
• Complex numbers
• Matrices
• Further algebra and functions
• Further calculus
• Further vectors
• Polar coordinates
• Hyperbolic functions
• Differential equations

Further Mechanics 1 (Paper code: 9FM0/3C)

• Momentum and impulse
• Work, energy and power
• Elastic strings and springs and elastic energy
• Elastic collisions in one dimension
• Elastic collisions in two dimensions

Further Mechanics 2 (Paper code: 9FM0/4C)

• Motion in a circle
• Centres of mass of plane figures
• Further centres of mass
• Further dynamics
• Further kinematics

Decision Mathematics 1 (Paper code: 9FM0/3D)

• Algorithms and graph theory
• Algorithms on graphs
• Algorithms on graphs II
• Critical path analysis
• Linear programming

Further Statistics 1 (Paper code: 9FM0/3B)

• Discrete probability distributions
• Poisson & binomial distributions
• Geometric and negative binomial distributions
• Hypothesis Testing
• Central Limit Theorem
• Chi-Squared Tests
• Probability generating functions
• Quality of tests

All the examboards, Edexcel, AQA, OCR, OCR MEI, CCEA and WJEC have a common core of topics for A-Level Maths and are so essentially the same. But Further Maths only has 50% common core topics in Pure Maths only. However, Further Decision, Further Mechanics, Further Pure and Further Statistics have the same topics across all the examboards specifications for Further Maths.

I would recommend doing Further Mechanics 1, as it is a short module and also Further Decision 1, because it used to be an AS-Level module in the old specification, so the content is also mostly the same too.

Or you could avoid doing Mechanics and do Further Statistics 1 and Further Decision 1.

If your Sixth Form or College does not offer Further Maths then you can self teach with a lot of videos on YouTube.
https://amsp.org.uk/

You can register for A-Level Further Maths for £350 at Campbell Harris College in Kensington, London.

https://www.campbellharris.co.uk/how-to-register
thegeek888
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by bryantw17)

thanks
Bryan you could become a Chartered Accountant and Chartered Tax Adviser at the same time with the joint pathway of the ICAEW programme.

www.icaew.com

CERTIFICATE in FINANCE, BUSINESS & ACCOUNTING:

The CFAB is the first 6 papers of the ICAEW, and you do not need any qualifications for it. Anybody can register with the ICAEW.com website and sit the exams at a centre.

The Big 4 accounting firms, PwC, Deloitte, KPMG and EY ask for BBC for their training programmes. So you should be aiming for BBC at A-Level.

Also, there are 6 multiple choice exams in subjects: Accounting, Management Information, Principles of Taxation, Assurance, Business, Technology and Finance and Law.

You could then do the remaining 9 papers with an Accounting firm or any other business.

The average salary for an ACA (ICAEW) Chartered Accountant is £150,000 in London.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA GCSE English Language Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (70)
19.44%
The paper was reasonable (133)
36.94%
Not feeling great about that exam... (105)
29.17%
It was TERRIBLE (52)
14.44%

Watched Threads