Suddenly saying you don’t like a particular accent…

Watch this thread
username5893547
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Is racist, even though you treat the person well, not perpetuated any negative behaviours.

So if l don’t like Birmingham accent, am racist? I’m l uneducated or is this a new law?

Heard a white colleague strongly express to another colleague who was black how they were openly racist because they mentioned they did not like a particular accent despite the fact, that they loved/like the person with the accent. The black colleague was shouted at, and l honestly wanted to defend him, but l was so confused.
This is for educational purposes.
Last edited by username5893547; 3 months ago
shzzh
Badges: 9
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Chanishyy)
Is racist, even though you treat the person well, not perpetuated any negative behaviours.

So if l don’t like Birmingham accent, am racist? I’m l uneducated or is this a new law?

Heard a white colleague strongly express to another colleague who was black how they were openly racist because they mentioned they did not like a particular accent despite the fact, that they loved/like the person with the accent. The black colleague was shouted at, and l honestly wanted to defend him, but l was so confused.
It's your opinion and I think it's definitely not racist as long as you don't treat that person differently or stereotype them because of that accent. Also it's just common sense; if you repeatedly insult their accent/constantly bring up the fact you don't like their accent/ make judgements about them based on their accent obviously that's wrong but if it's just a matter of you not liking the sound of it I think that's fine. Personally, I don't like the sound of Essex accents but I would never belittle someone or form negative judgements/stereotypes on them just because they speak in a certain way.
username5893547
Rep:
(Original post by shzzh)
It's your opinion and I think it's definitely not racist as long as you don't treat that person differently or stereotype them because of that accent. Also it's just common sense; if you repeatedly insult their accent/constantly bring up the fact you don't like their accent/ make judgements about them based on their accent obviously that's wrong but if it's just a matter of you not liking the sound of it I think that's fine. Personally, I don't like the sound of Essex accents but I would never belittle someone or form negative judgements/stereotypes on them just because they speak in a certain way.
That’s not what happened. Prior to the conversation they were talking about the meeting with the Scottish individual and the black colleague expressed that he loved it. Then suddenly he said that one line he’s racist, l wanted to support him but l was so confused and intimidated with how he (white colleague) wanted to gaslight/manipulate him into thinking it is by saying “you’re a racist, you’re openly racist, so you know you can’t change an accent”. I was so mortified. By default does that mean she is ignorant?
Mesopotamian.
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
An accent is not a race, so how exactly can it be racist to dislike a certain accent?
Perhaps looking up the definition of racism might be of help here.
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
No, not racist.
Accents tend to be most closely connected to local region and educational background, not race.
username5898386
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 3 months ago

don't worry I hate the Birmingham accent
username5893547
Rep:
(Original post by Mesopotamian.)
An accent is not a race, so how exactly can it be racist to dislike a certain accent?
Perhaps looking up the definition of racism might be of help here.
I’m going to report the colleague because the way the black colleague was ridiculed and manipulated, and was told to apologise is beyond me.
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
I’m going to report the colleague because the way the black colleague was ridiculed and manipulated, and was told to apologise is beyond me.
Best to ask the coworker that you want to support whether he wants the incident reported.
There is a risk that both coworkers could be subject to discliplinary action for unprofessional conduct over the incident.
Particularly if they were both on shift and their comments could be viewed as very offensive by customers/supplies/other coworkers/anyone else in the building who overheard.
hungrysalamander
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Birmingham resident
Nothing wrong with disliking an accent imo.
username5893547
Rep:
(Original post by londonmyst)
Best to ask the coworker that you want to support whether he wants the incident reported.
There is a risk that both coworkers could be subject to discliplinary action for unprofessional conduct over the incident.
Particularly if they were both on shift and their comments could be viewed as very offensive by customers/supplies/other coworkers/anyone else in the building who overheard.
The incident happened during our breaks, no customers nearby as we were in a different room. But thank you for saying this. The Scottish colleague doesn’t know, as he wasn’t there. I believe the white colleague just wanted to say it for the sake of saying it as he never got along with the black colleague.

In addition, if he was offended, wasn’t the most appropriate way to talk to the black colleague and express his emotions instead of pointing a finger and telling other workers he is racist or has been openly racist in a room whereby the other works didn’t report it or find any means to it as it’s an opinion, however that one colleague reported it.

But l will discuss this with the black colleague whether to report it because that’s defamatory especially when he wasn’t racist, it’s his opinion. Nonetheless to manipulate him and to make him apologise to all staff (who where even confused as to why the issue needed to escalate this far) is unacceptable.
Food!!
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by hungrysalamander)
Birmingham resident
Nothing wrong with disliking an accent imo.

lucky for me mine isnt that brummie
why does everyone hate birmingham accent it ain't even that bad
deadroseex
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
I laughed reading this lol
Son of the Sea
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
It’s racist in the same way that not liking broccoli is sexist.
username5893547
Rep:
(Original post by Son of the Sea)
It’s racist in the same way that not liking broccoli is sexist.
😂😂😂🤣
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (25)
18.94%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (15)
11.36%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (10)
7.58%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (22)
16.67%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (34)
25.76%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (26)
19.7%

Watched Threads