Better for 1 practical endorsement and 3 sciences or 2 practical's with 2 sciences

Watch this thread
Lewis.Park
Badges: 1
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Basically i want to do Physics, Chem and Bio at A level but as a private candidate paying for all 3 practical endorsements isn't realistic. I decided i would just do physics and bio with the practicals but then i wondered if a practical for biology is even necessary (i want to study physics at Uni). So now I'm wondering what would look better on an application 3 sciences with 1 practical or 2 sciences with 2 practicals.I'm also taking Maths and Further Maths
EOData
Badges: 16
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 months ago
Why on earth are you taking 5 A levels?

Check to see if universities would require a pass in the practicals in any/all of your science A levels. (Check for the year you want to attend - a lot of universities have relaxed their requirements but MAY tighten them up again for future years.)
thegeek888
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by EOData)
Why on earth are you taking 5 A levels?
Maybe he wants to go to Cambridge or Oxford? lol
McGinger
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Some Unis will accept non-school applicants without the practical endorsements.
Email some Unis you are interested in and ask.
Sophie_6666
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Lewis.Park)
Basically i want to do Physics, Chem and Bio at A level but as a private candidate paying for all 3 practical endorsements isn't realistic. I decided i would just do physics and bio with the practicals but then i wondered if a practical for biology is even necessary (i want to study physics at Uni). So now I'm wondering what would look better on an application 3 sciences with 1 practical or 2 sciences with 2 practicals.I'm also taking Maths and Further Maths
Hi, I am also a private candidate. I was going to do 3 A levels but found it too much with work so I did 1 last year and doing 1 this year. Looking back, I wish I had taken one of the access courses instead that give the same amount of UCAS points as 3 A levels because I am applying this year and am worried I won't get in. My advice would be to email the universities that are doing the course you want and ask them what you need to achieve before you pay out and commit. For example, I have been told by some universities that I can get in with 2 A levels because I am a mature student but I must achieve an AA unless they are my first choice for uni, and I got a B last year so that's out, wheras another university said they would only consider candidates with 3 A levels even though there grade boundaries are not as high.
Another thing I wish I'd done looking back is finding out all the dates in advance because online colleges will not tell you. For example, the online college or the exam centre will not tell you when your A-level results are in, you only get a certain amount of time to appeal the grade so its important you check as soon as they are out. Also some colleges might tell you there deadline is so and so but due to amount of students or if the tutors are bank staff, they might still not get your work marked in time for exam centre or UCAS etc. Basically, with the online colleges and exam centres, I recommend giving extra time for any request you make so they have time to sort it out and also remember to hound them if you don't hear back from them. For example, if you need a predicted grade for UCAS, get those assignments in at least a month in advance and tell your tutors in advance you want predicted grades as they will need to process it through the college, have time to mark it and grade you. Some tutors really care, some online tutors will not as much - don't be afraid to contact the college head of department if your tutor gives vague and short responses to your questions when your stuck too.
I think you might also need to book your exam centre before a UCAS application even if the exam booking deadline is after because UCAS asks for a number for exam centre. Some online colleges will organise this through the ones they use (you still have to pay), however check the location of this as my nearest one is a 1.5 hour drive into the city which is expensive to park and often has lots of traffic and difficult to navigate, so I need to look elsewhere.
Also, keep all your exam certificates for GCSE, A-level, any additional courses with dates you started/finished/and whether they were with AQA/edexcel etc because you will need these when applying to UCAS.
Good luck.
Last edited by Sophie555666; 3 months ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Psychology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (47)
48.96%
The paper was reasonable (37)
38.54%
Not feeling great about that exam... (8)
8.33%
It was TERRIBLE (4)
4.17%

Watched Threads