Primary teaching question.

Watch this thread
username5811912
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Here is a huge question for anyone thinking about becoming a primary school teacher or is already a primary school teacher. Which is the most important subject in your opinion to teach the children and why?

It is totally up to others opinions and thus there will be no judgement from myself or others (hopefully) it would just be great to hear what others value as the most important subjects to teach in the primary curriculum to them.

I'll start off. So personally I think that children should be active so i say PE would be top, probably then maths as they can use maths in preparation for after academia, however i do understand and have much respect for English (literacy) as children need to be creative. So there are my top three: 1.PE 2. Maths 3. English (literacy).
bluebeetle
Badges: 18
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Kentinho99)
Here is a huge question for anyone thinking about becoming a primary school teacher or is already a primary school teacher. Which is the most important subject in your opinion to teach the children and why?

It is totally up to others opinions and thus there will be no judgement from myself or others (hopefully) it would just be great to hear what others value as the most important subjects to teach in the primary curriculum to them.

I'll start off. So personally I think that children should be active so i say PE would be top, probably then maths as they can use maths in preparation for after academia, however i do understand and have much respect for English (literacy) as children need to be creative. So there are my top three: 1.PE 2. Maths 3. English (literacy).
I don't think it's really possible to do a strict ranking. You say that literacy is important as students need to be creative, but I would say the most important reason to teach literacy is just so children can exist in society without being excessively challenged by filling out a simple form, reading a sign, or searching for information online. It's important for students to be active, but at the end of the day, they're capable of being active and getting exercise without being taught how to do so, whereas most kids won't learn to read if they aren't taught how to do it in school.
username5811912
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
(Original post by bluebeetle)
I don't think it's really possible to do a strict ranking. You say that literacy is important as students need to be creative, but I would say the most important reason to teach literacy is just so children can exist in society without being excessively challenged by filling out a simple form, reading a sign, or searching for information online. It's important for students to be active, but at the end of the day, they're capable of being active and getting exercise without being taught how to do so, whereas most kids won't learn to read if they aren't taught how to do it in school.
You make a strong point. However with the rise of technological devices and gaming becoming more and more popular, the need to teach physical education is a necessity to mental health and well-being. Reading is seriously important within society, but also the world outside of technology is really important. Especially if we consider lockdown and the mental health issues faced by so many because we did not go outside. I mean I suppose you can't really rank them but which is the most valuable in your opinion. I'm not saying that they're not important i am saying which subject would you teach children most passionately within. I mean as a primary school teacher there is always a subject which you find most passionate. Im just asking which one you would feel or you feel that you teach the strongest. If you understand my point. I should have worded the original post more precisely for this i apologise.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Sociology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (21)
24.71%
The paper was reasonable (38)
44.71%
Not feeling great about that exam... (18)
21.18%
It was TERRIBLE (8)
9.41%

Watched Threads