maths a level probability question

Watch this thread
abovethecl0uds
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
i'm stuck on this question.. any help would be appreciated! i tried drawing a tree diagram but i don't think you're supposed to draw one for this question
Name:  20220123_144458.jpg
Views: 10
Size:  50.1 KB
Last edited by abovethecl0uds; 3 months ago
mqb2766
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 months ago
A tree diagram might help in getting the joint probabilities, ,so upload what you've done so far and what are you stuck with?
abovethecl0uds
Rep:
sure! this is my tree diagram
i thought this was a conditional probability q so i tried to find the probability of a person getting a positive test given that they have the virus:
0.98 / 0.001
but this is greater than 1 so it's obviously wrong
Name:  20220123_151407.jpg
Views: 7
Size:  77.2 KB
mqb2766
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Youve got to write things down clearly. You don't have to use a tree to get the joint probabilities, but it would help. Youve not included the probabilities on the first level, and I dont know where the 0.98/0.001 comes from?
Write down the conditional probability you want to find and use the conditional expression to work out which terms you need to use.
abovethecl0uds
Rep:
ah ok i've drawn a new tree diagram and i think i've got the answer?
Name:  20220123_162030.jpg
Views: 7
Size:  47.1 KBName:  20220123_162051.jpg
Views: 8
Size:  48.0 KB
mqb2766
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Looks good.
Last edited by mqb2766; 3 months ago
abovethecl0uds
Rep:
(Original post by mqb2766)
Looks good.
great thanks so much for the help!!
mqb2766
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by abovethecl0uds)
great thanks so much for the help!!
Its not always necessary, but sometimes an approximate solution is useful for validation. Here
~ 1 person in 1000 has the virus and test positive
~ 10 people in 1000 gives a false positive (tests positive but doesn't have the virus)
So ~ 9% will have the virus given a positive test (1/11). Pretty accurate for these numbers.
Last edited by mqb2766; 3 months ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Physics Paper 1 exam go?

Great! Feeling positive (144)
29.33%
It went fairly well (233)
47.45%
It didn't go too well (73)
14.87%
TERRIBLE! (41)
8.35%

Watched Threads