GCSE Choices

Watch this thread
username5849750
Badges: 6
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Hey, i’m meant to be choosing my GCSEs very soon, and I was wondering about any opinions on the subjects I am planning on choosing if you are taking them
Compulsory:
English lit and lang
Maths
Religious Studies
My choices
Triple award science (at least double is compulsory)
History (I am aware history is very tricky but I have always had a passion for history- and I struggle to pay attention in geography leading to poorer results.)
french (I find Spanish tricky)
Economics (This is the subject that I am particularly looking for opinions on- as I am interested by the topics but I have not met anybody that has taken it so any opinions would be great!)
Thanks so much!
brontesaurus
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by OrangeCaprisun)
Hey, i’m meant to be choosing my GCSEs very soon, and I was wondering about any opinions on the subjects I am planning on choosing if you are taking them
Compulsory:
English lit and lang
Maths
Religious Studies
My choices
History (I am aware history is very tricky but I have always had a passion for history- and I struggle to pay attention in geography leading to poorer results.)
Economics (This is the subject that I am particularly looking for opinions on- as I am interested by the topics but I have not met anybody that has taken it so any opinions would be great!)
Thanks so much!
History is tricky, however you will do well if you start preparing for the exams immediately when you begin (making quizlets of dates, essay plans.. and making sure your notes are clear) — start as you mean to go on!
Acupofcha
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
I'm taking double but I've heard triple is easier to revise so definitely take that.history is difficult when it comes to exam questions as you have to be specific w the type of answers your exam board wants but the actual content is easier to learnI'm taking both French and Spanish and tbh as long as you have verbs and their endings nailed you should find exams pretty easy and make sure you learn verbs like etre, avoir and aller by heart as they are really useful unfortunately my school don't offer economics so I can't really advise on that as for your compulsory subjectsEnglish is somewhat difficult but if you learn structures for writing essays in lesson and for lit learning certain quotes and their meanings you should be goodRE or RS is imo similar to history with the way you learn it. exam questions are also specific and require you to learn stuff like quotes and all that.
Emma:-)
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Compulsory:
English lit and lang
Maths
Religious Studies
My choices
Thanks so much!
I did french.
I thought it was ok. Its mainly the teacher that i wasnt 100% keen on. But its a good subject to take.
iqra_xoxoxoxox
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
I’m doing triple atm (I’m in year 11 ) and I find it very easy and the content is easy to grasp. Having said that physics is very hard (well for me it is) and triple science requires you to put time, energy and effort into it. I would recommend taking it as you learn about the brain and eye which I find very interesting! Good luck with your future studies
username5849750
Rep:
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
(Original post by Acupofcha)
I'm taking double but I've heard triple is easier to revise so definitely take that.history is difficult when it comes to exam questions as you have to be specific w the type of answers your exam board wants but the actual content is easier to learnI'm taking both French and Spanish and tbh as long as you have verbs and their endings nailed you should find exams pretty easy and make sure you learn verbs like etre, avoir and aller by heart as they are really useful unfortunately my school don't offer economics so I can't really advise on that as for your compulsory subjectsEnglish is somewhat difficult but if you learn structures for writing essays in lesson and for lit learning certain quotes and their meanings you should be goodRE or RS is imo similar to history with the way you learn it. exam questions are also specific and require you to learn stuff like quotes and all that.
Thanks so much for all that information! that’s definitley helped!
arkeiws
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Compulsory:
English lit and lang
Maths
Religious Studies
My choices
Thanks so much!
These subjects are great, especially if you are interested in them! I personally did double science (we weren't allowed to take triple) and I can say that, even though the workload might be larger, it's a lot easier to find resources that are specific to your specification if you do triple.
TylerJNunn
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Compulsory:
English lit and lang
Maths
Religious Studies
My choices
Thanks so much!
Science is a very good subject to have, in my opinion, as it can open many doors in the future and maximise your potential. Definitely pick History if you enjoy it, yes it is slightly trickier than Geography, but if you enjoy the subject then I would say go for it! I do not take French GCSE's but I had French in Year 7-8. I did quite well in the subject but I had no interest in it at all, so I didn't do a language for my GCSE's. If you have to do a language at your school, then I would say go for the one you enjoy the most and are most likely to get higher grades in. I do not take economics as my school does not offer this subject for GCSE years, and only A-Levels. As far as I know, Economics involves how the economy can be affected by different things such as inflation etc. I also know that there is some maths involved with Economics, so make sure you are fairly decent at maths. Just do as much research as you can about your subjects, and I wish you the very best.
sophiemadfish
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by brontesaurus)
History is tricky, however you will do well if you start preparing for the exams immediately when you begin (making quizlets of dates, essay plans.. and making sure your notes are clear) — start as you mean to go on!
Omg I’m obsessed with Quizlet too 😂
sophiemadfish
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by brontesaurus)
I love your username !! 😂
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA Combined Science - Biology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (61)
34.66%
The paper was reasonable (70)
39.77%
Not feeling great about that exam... (28)
15.91%
It was TERRIBLE (17)
9.66%

Watched Threads