Am I allowed to remove words from a quote? (Harvard reference)

Watch this thread
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Mr Wednesday
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Well you could trim a quote leaving [….] behind to show where you cut something out for brevity ..... provided it does not change the authors meaning.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Mr Wednesday)
Well you could trim a quote leaving [….] behind to show where you cut something out for brevity ..... provided it does not change the authors meaning.
Even if it's just one word, e.g 'our'?
black tea
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 months ago
Even if it's just one word, e.g 'our'?
yes
Mr Wednesday
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by black tea)
yes
But why would you do that if its just one word, you end up still having a similar character count as you need to add the "place holder" back in ? Or are we just splitting hairs now for the OP ?
Last edited by Mr Wednesday; 3 months ago
black tea
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Mr Wednesday)
But why would you do that if its just one word, you end up still having a similar character conut as you need to add the "place holder" back in ? Or are we just splitting hairs now for the OP ?
Because you are altering a quote. It has nothing to do with character count.
Mr Wednesday
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
yes
But why would you do that if its just one word, you end up still having a similar character conut as you need to add the "place holder" back in ? Or are we just splitting hairs now for the OP ?

Because you are altering a quote. It has nothing to do with character count.
Yes, completely agree, I meant for the OP, why do a minor word trim for no good reason, you always need to show where you changed the text, even if the result is "neutral" in terms of meaning.
Anonymous #1
Sorry, does anyone know how I can quote a sentence if I remove a word from it then?
black tea
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Sorry, does anyone know how I can quote a sentence if I remove a word from it then?
As above, you put [...] instead of the word
Anonymous #1
Thank you!
Anonymous #1
Would I need to reference the book differently because of this?
black tea
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Would I need to reference the book differently because of this?
no
hallamstudents
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Hi, yes just put in an ellipses, don't put the ellipses in with brackets, and you reference and cite the same. Also, by changing a quote it can sometimes make the text read wrong, so when this happens you can alter certain words in the quote in order to make a smooth sentence structure, for example, "the world is ...change" could change to "the world is... chang[ing]" .

Feel free to ask for any other grammatical/academic advice.

- Rosie
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you done work experience at school/college?

Yes (133)
43.32%
Not yet, but I will soon (54)
17.59%
No (120)
39.09%

Watched Threads