Is this a gift or a trust??

Watch this thread
A$AP Chadi
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Here is the case study:

To: Trainee
Client: Logan Roy
Date: Today

I would be grateful if you would research a case for me. Logan Roy, of Succession House, Apple Street, Derby, DE3 1YL, has approached the firm to seek advice on how to best transfer his holiday home, Waystar Manor, to his trusted friend Marsha. Logan is keen to avoid informing the land registry of the transfer until the latest possible moment. Logan wants to know what his options are, and which is the option you recommend.

Please be prepared to present your research on how you would advise Mr Roy as to the ‘best’ approach for achieving his goals. You should also be prepared to answer questions relating to that research when we meet. Finally, you may also want to consider any additional questions/queries/requests for further information that you want to ask Mr Roy. Many thanks.
Lawschoolhack
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by A$AP Chadi)
Here is the case study:

To: Trainee
Client: Logan Roy
Date: Today

I would be grateful if you would research a case for me. Logan Roy, of Succession House, Apple Street, Derby, DE3 1YL, has approached the firm to seek advice on how to best transfer his holiday home, Waystar Manor, to his trusted friend Marsha. Logan is keen to avoid informing the land registry of the transfer until the latest possible moment. Logan wants to know what his options are, and which is the option you recommend.

Please be prepared to present your research on how you would advise Mr Roy as to the ‘best’ approach for achieving his goals. You should also be prepared to answer questions relating to that research when we meet. Finally, you may also want to consider any additional questions/queries/requests for further information that you want to ask Mr Roy. Many thanks.
I don't understand your question. At present; it's neither. You have been asked to advise on the options and which you would recommend.
Lawschoolhack
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Presumably you need to advise on the difference between an outright gift and a trust. The problem with an outright transfer is that if the Land Registry isn't informed; he retains legal title (i.e. he will hold it on trust for her).

So IMO he should declare a trust with himself as trustee. The requirements of LPA 1925, s.53(1)(b) would be relevant. In this way the Land registry do not need to be informed.

I would want to ask him WHY he doesn't want the Land Registry to know as it seems a strange request.
constitution.

I have done a series of YouTube videos on Formalities and Constitution. LECTURE ONE might give you some ideas.
Last edited by Lawschoolhack; 3 months ago
Lawschoolhack
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Lawschoolhack)
Presumably you need to advise on the difference between an outright gift and a trust. The problem with an outright transfer is that if the Land Registry isn't informed; he retains legal title (i.e. he will hold it on trust for her).

So IMO he should declare a trust with himself as trustee. The requirements of LPA 1925, s.53(1)(b) would be relevant. In this way the Land registry do not need to be informed.

I would want to ask him WHY he doesn't want the Land Registry to know as it seems a strange request.
constitution.

I have done a series of YouTube videos on Formalities and Constitution. LECTURE ONE might give you some ideas.
Was it any help?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (25)
18.94%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (15)
11.36%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (10)
7.58%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (22)
16.67%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (34)
25.76%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (26)
19.7%

Watched Threads