How to work outside of the UK?

Watch this thread
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Has anyone from the UK worked abroad or does now and can you tell me how you accomplished it?

I don't have any connections and need some ideas and advice on how to get opportunities out of here. I'm miserable in the UK, i have some family in other parts of the world but the political situation is unstable so i can't consider going there now. Job wise i have a variety of experience in different fields but no particular expertise established. Past doing odd jobs though i have a masters and 2-3 years work experience. Wondering if other eu countries are a good option.
Anonymous #2
Report 3 months ago
Hey, it really depends on where exactly you want to go. The EU is a much trickier minefield now post brexit, before it was fairly straightforward to relocate to the EU but now Brits have to fulfil the same requirements as anyone outside the EU which is a bit stricter. It’s not impossible but you would need to decide which country in the EU appealed to you most and go from there, find out what jobs they are crying out for and find out the specific visa requirements of the country.

Also, what fields exactly do you have experience in? Different countries have different needs and the visa opportunities reflect this.

There are a few South American countries that are very easy to get a residency visa for but job opportunities there can be difficult to come by, particularly if you don’t speak the native language.

Another option could be the UAE, Dubai and Abu Dhabi in particular. Visa options for British citizens are really simple as long as you secure a job over there. You are also given time (I think it’s 3 months at first) in which you can go over, interview for roles, get a feel of the place etc. before you are expected to apply for a residency visa when you find work.

So, EU is defo an option but you will need to narrow your focus and see what countries may have a need for people with your professional experience.
mnot
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 months ago
Have skills & evidence needed for in demand jobs where countries lack the resources to fill the jobs internally, leverage this to get a work visa.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Hey, it really depends on where exactly you want to go. The EU is a much trickier minefield now post brexit, before it was fairly straightforward to relocate to the EU but now Brits have to fulfil the same requirements as anyone outside the EU which is a bit stricter. It’s not impossible but you would need to decide which country in the EU appealed to you most and go from there, find out what jobs they are crying out for and find out the specific visa requirements of the country.

Also, what fields exactly do you have experience in? Different countries have different needs and the visa opportunities reflect this.

There are a few South American countries that are very easy to get a residency visa for but job opportunities there can be difficult to come by, particularly if you don’t speak the native language.

Another option could be the UAE, Dubai and Abu Dhabi in particular. Visa options for British citizens are really simple as long as you secure a job over there. You are also given time (I think it’s 3 months at first) in which you can go over, interview for roles, get a feel of the place etc. before you are expected to apply for a residency visa when you find work.

So, EU is defo an option but you will need to narrow your focus and see what countries may have a need for people with your professional experience.
Hi there, thanks for replying. I have experience in creative fields like graphic design, marketing, teaching art. But i don't have enough years' experience in each one of those things to get jobs in them easily here. I'm not that enthusiastic about the eu but wonder if it be more relaxed than general british culture and its similarly rich culturally (arts, music, etc). I'm open to the middle east if they're more liberal areas. Have you worked there before?
flamingolover
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 months ago
Has anyone from the UK worked abroad or does now and can you tell me how you accomplished it?

I don't have any connections and need some ideas and advice on how to get opportunities out of here. I'm miserable in the UK, i have some family in other parts of the world but the political situation is unstable so i can't consider going there now. Job wise i have a variety of experience in different fields but no particular expertise established. Past doing odd jobs though i have a masters and 2-3 years work experience. Wondering if other eu countries are a good option.
It really depends on the country. For example in America I’m pretty sure you need a sponsor (normally your employer) to get a work visa. Most countries require a work visa at the very least so probably require you to have a job before you move over

This will vary on countries.

Maybe pick a country (or a few countries) and research how work visas work over there and then start applying to jobs once you know how the system works
Anonymous #2
Report 3 months ago
Hi there, thanks for replying. I have experience in creative fields like graphic design, marketing, teaching art. But i don't have enough years' experience in each one of those things to get jobs in them easily here. I'm not that enthusiastic about the eu but wonder if it be more relaxed than general british culture and its similarly rich culturally (arts, music, etc). I'm open to the middle east if they're more liberal areas. Have you worked there before?
Ah okay, you have a really interesting background and I think if you could gain even a year or two solid experience in one industry you could appeal to the Middle East. Nothing is stopping you from applying with the experience you do have of course, it just betters your chances if you have a solid track record in one industry/ sector.

I lived in Dubai for 10 years and I absolutely love it! I’m back in the UK but desperate to move back over haha!

Its more liberal than Saudi for example but it is of course still a Muslim country so there is a little bit of adjustment needed. But if people respect the local culture there really isn’t a problem, 10 years and I never had any issues. However, it really depends on what kind of lifestyle you’re looking for I guess!

Dubai is amazing but it has become kinda like the Ibiza of the Middle East - really popular with influencers and z list celebs which have (in my opinion) changed Dubai massively. This party lifestyle could be just what you’re looking for but if not Abu Dhabi is really cosmopolitan and advanced but I feel more in touch with its heritage in a way.. just feels more authentic UAE like Dubai was before..

Maybe before deciding it could be worth researching a few countries/ areas for how realistic it would be to move there with your skill set and then if possible try and visit a few! I know this is so much easier said than done, especially with covid but it’s definitely worth it before you invest hundreds/ even thousands of £ moving somewhere to decide it’s not for you!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA Combined Science - Biology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (61)
34.46%
The paper was reasonable (70)
39.55%
Not feeling great about that exam... (28)
15.82%
It was TERRIBLE (18)
10.17%

Watched Threads