Business Vs Politics for finance??

Watch this thread
monkeyman55
Badges: 3
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
I’ve been given offers at top Russel group unis, for politics and international studies. I wanted to study this, because although it’s not been one of my a levels, I am very knowledgeable of it and enjoy it.

I’m also always reading the economist, Forbes, Bloomberg, and read many books on finance and the such related world.

I’ve wanted a finance/business job since I can remember. I’m open to everything; investment banking, consulting, project management, business analyst, etc.

However, I’ve been discussing with alot of people recently, and according to some, a business degree would help me much more in terms of skills and showing reason for wanting such jobs. And, a politics degree just wouldn’t quite have the same weight as a business one, when competing for jobs

I want to ask how true this is, and whether it really will disqualify or disadvantage me for working in finance.
Last edited by monkeyman55; 3 months ago
dah22
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 months ago
It is possible however a politics degree is probably one of the more chalenging degrees to get into it with.
Firstly I would search up some people who have done the course you would like to do and check how they have done post uni.
Secondly IB prefer their Target uni's to hire from and give internships to and these are typically: Oxbridge, LSE, UCL, Warwick and Imperial but semi targets such as Durham Bristol Exeter Bath and Nottingham also perform very well in terms of employability/work placements. Bearing in mind these are for IB and other industries may vary.
Thirdly, regardless of what degree you take mostly firms do not care as most of the things you learn in a degree simply are not useful in real life application and its highly useful to apply for internships and spring insight weeks if its finance you definitely want to do.
Lastly I wonder why you do not just simply apply for a finance degree at one of these unis? It seems like you have always wanted to do finance so why not apply for econ/finance degree?
monkeyman55
Badges: 3
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
(Original post by dah22)
It is possible however a politics degree is probably one of the more chalenging degrees to get into it with.
Firstly I would search up some people who have done the course you would like to do and check how they have done post uni.
Secondly IB prefer their Target uni's to hire from and give internships to and these are typically: Oxbridge, LSE, UCL, Warwick and Imperial but semi targets such as Durham Bristol Exeter Bath and Nottingham also perform very well in terms of employability/work placements. Bearing in mind these are for IB and other industries may vary.
Thirdly, regardless of what degree you take mostly firms do not care as most of the things you learn in a degree simply are not useful in real life application and its highly useful to apply for internships and spring insight weeks if its finance you definitely want to do.
Lastly I wonder why you do not just simply apply for a finance degree at one of these unis? It seems like you have always wanted to do finance so why not apply for econ/finance degree?
Thank you for the reply, so I guess a politics degree isn’t really worth the extra hassle in explaining why I’m suddenly applying for these jobs?

I have read a bit into target unis, and happy to say I’ve gotten into the better half of the target/semi targets you listed.

I’ll also definitely be applying for spring weeks/ internships when the time comes. I really also wanted to study a finance/ econ degree, but I read into them, and I just felt like they were very narrow despite still being good degrees.

I felt like it’s better to study a wider/less common subject to give me extra scope on things. But as we established, politics isn’t the best for this purpose. I guess I should just change my course to business/ finance now??
dah22
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by monkeyman55)
Thank you for the reply, so I guess a politics degree isn’t really worth the extra hassle in explaining why I’m suddenly applying for these jobs?

I have read a bit into target unis, and happy to say I’ve gotten into the better half of the target/semi targets you listed.

I’ll also definitely be applying for spring weeks/ internships when the time comes. I really also wanted to study a finance/ econ degree, but I read into them, and I just felt like they were very narrow despite still being good degrees.

I felt like it’s better to study a wider/less common subject to give me extra scope on things. But as we established, politics isn’t the best for this purpose. I guess I should just change my course to business/ finance now??
Firstly congratulations on the offer! That is brilliant you have gotten into any of those unis and to get into a strong target university is an amazing achievement. If politics is what you want to do then I recommend sticking with it. It is better to do something you enjoy but if you want to change to a finance degree you may have to pull your application and reapply next admissions cycle. Also worth noting from a politics degree you could always go on to do a Law conversion course and go into law?
Canary84
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Most places will claim to not care which degree you do. As mentioned above might require a little explaining why you chose politics.

However, if you enjoy politics more than business type stuff/ is more interesting I would definitely stick with this. It will mean doing degree work is a lot easier giving you more time to research and show interests in business etc and just give u a more enjoyable uni experience.

Fwiw, I would say going to one of the more targeted unis will have a much bigger impact than degree choice but that’s purely my opinion. I also think this due to how the culture at those unis is more about pushing you towards jobs and careers rather than bias by recruiters
Hennaali301
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by monkeyman55)
I’ve been given offers at top Russel group unis, for politics and international studies. I wanted to study this, because although it’s not been one of my a levels, I am very knowledgeable of it and enjoy it.

I’m also always reading the economist, Forbes, Bloomberg, and read many books on finance and the such related world.

I’ve wanted a finance/business job since I can remember. I’m open to everything; investment banking, consulting, project management, business analyst, etc.

However, I’ve been discussing with alot of people recently, and according to some, a business degree would help me much more in terms of skills and showing reason for wanting such jobs. And, a politics degree just wouldn’t quite have the same weight as a business one, when competing for jobs

I want to ask how true this is, and whether it really will disqualify or disadvantage me for working in finance.
What you could do is get a degree in finance/business and then complete a masters course on politics, that’s what I’m doing as I’m planning on completing a law degree then getting a masters in forensic sciences as it’s son that interests me.
Blue_Cow
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Your ability to pass psychometric tests for the positions you've mentioned and technical tests for some Business Analytics roles matter far more than the degree. Pick the one you'll enjoy the most and focus on getting work experience between each academic year at university.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (25)
18.94%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (15)
11.36%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (10)
7.58%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (22)
16.67%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (34)
25.76%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (26)
19.7%

Watched Threads