Have I ruined my chances?

Watch this thread
jmeredith
Badges: 5
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
I’m going back to university as a mature student, and have been given an offer on the course I’d like to study. However I need an additional academic reference as one of the conditions of the offer.
During my first time at university, I was doing quite well but decided the course wasn’t for me for a while and had a non submission on one of my 2nd year modules. Anyhow I went to resit that module, turned up on day 1 and was told I wasn’t enrolled. Went through about 6 weeks of back and too with admissions before being enrolled, at which point it was just under two weeks before deadline. As an art-based student I had no body of work produced, let alone a write up so defeatedly gave up and stopped turning up to university. Obviously this led to me failing 2nd year and being withdrawn.

I had my interview for my new university a few days back and said that I’d dropped out on my own accord as the course wasn’t for me. Now that I need a reference from my previous university, am I completely screwed? Should I call up my new universities admissions dept and just be honest and open about it? I’d hate to lose my place on the course over this but in 100% panic mode (entirely my fault for not being open and honest earlier)
black tea
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 months ago
Could someone from your school give you a reference?
jmeredith
Rep:
(Original post by black tea)
Could someone from your school give you a reference?
I’ve enquired about getting one from college. I had 4 tutors and all but one has now moved on, so I’m hoping that my old English tutor will be kind enough to write one (although it was about 5 years ago I last attended.) However, if it came to it I don’t think I would get a bad reference from university other than the elephant in the room, I did quite well in all of my other modules (predicted 2:1) and was actually told a few months ago when weighing up my uni options that I’d be more than welcome to come on the course again if I were to reapply through UCAS.
Last edited by jmeredith; 3 months ago
black tea
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by jmeredith)
I’ve enquired about getting one from college. I had 4 tutors and all but one has now moved on, so I’m hoping that my old English tutor will be kind enough to write one (although it was about 6 years ago I last attended.) However, if it came to it I don’t think I would get a bad reference from university other than the elephant in the room, I did quite well in all of my other modules (predicted 2:1) and was actually told a few months ago when weighing up my uni options that I’d be more than welcome to come on the course again if I were to reapply through UCAS.
Sounds like it should be OK to ask a uni tutor from what you say.
Thisismyunitsr
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
I’m going back to university as a mature student, and have been given an offer on the course I’d like to study. However I need an additional academic reference as one of the conditions of the offer.
During my first time at university, I was doing quite well but decided the course wasn’t for me for a while and had a non submission on one of my 2nd year modules. Anyhow I went to resit that module, turned up on day 1 and was told I wasn’t enrolled. Went through about 6 weeks of back and too with admissions before being enrolled, at which point it was just under two weeks before deadline. As an art-based student I had no body of work produced, let alone a write up so defeatedly gave up and stopped turning up to university. Obviously this led to me failing 2nd year and being withdrawn.

I had my interview for my new university a few days back and said that I’d dropped out on my own accord as the course wasn’t for me. Now that I need a reference from my previous university, am I completely screwed? Should I call up my new universities admissions dept and just be honest and open about it? I’d hate to lose my place on the course over this but in 100% panic mode (entirely my fault for not being open and honest earlier)
Could you gain a reference from your place of work instead of an academic one
jmeredith
Rep:
(Original post by Thisismyunitsr)
Could you gain a reference from your place of work instead of an academic one
I have one from work already, they acknowledged it at my interview but would like a further academic reference. I’ve emailed prior tutors so going to wait a few days and then see what happens.
Thisismyunitsr
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
I have one from work already, they acknowledged it at my interview but would like a further academic reference. I’ve emailed prior tutors so going to wait a few days and then see what happens.
Hopefully you get it sorted!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA Combined Science - Biology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (59)
34.5%
The paper was reasonable (68)
39.77%
Not feeling great about that exam... (28)
16.37%
It was TERRIBLE (16)
9.36%

Watched Threads