How do I change my life

Watch this thread
kerry.woollands
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
I go through cycles of wanting to change myself and then failing and having to try again. I lose motivation very easily but watching one YouTube video can make me motivated for a few days and that's it. Im not fully sure what I want to change but im usually quite low on energy and irritable, I don't really have any friends, im failing one of my college courses and every desicion I need to make is proving really hard especially since im coming close to leaving college and I also suffer from anxiety. I find it quite hard to see other people succeed which isn't my best trait but I just want it for myself. Any tips for getting out of a slump and making positive changes
Muttly
Badges: 17
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 months ago
Take 'baby' steps and just make one small positive change each day and repeat it?

Getting out of bed every day is a goal - getting out of bed every day by 0700hrs is a target

Get straight into your walking gear as soon as you wake up and go for a 1 mile walk around the block. Fast, slow, fast as you can. Count lamp posts, steps. Do a lot, do a little. (see if your medical centre have a cardio group or depression group for walking motivation) Try and do that every day and give yourself one day off a week. Get into a routine.

Plan your nutrition every day. Start with keeping a food diary for how you are now. Then find a good nutrition weekly food plan and follow it. Lots of food and veg. Cut out biscuits, crisps, sugar, soda drinks. Drink lots and lots of water. Your low energy and irritability could just be a poor diet or medical reason - go and see your GP or practice nurse and discuss your health with them and discuss how you feel.

Why do you want to change? Is it fitness, weight, hair colour? Energy levels? You have the power to do this. You just have to decide when you take the first step.

Ask someone at college if they have any social meet ups, volunteering (riding for the disabled, dog rescue), activities with buddy systems or art classes for boosting mental health?

Keep a diary or journal and write down one positive event from every day. It can be something very simple to something amazing.
The small positives are the important ones. Comparisons are the way forward to get perspective on life.

eg I failed my test - so the positives - I was brave enough to try it; I can do it again; I can learn why I failed; several people never bothered to turn up; I'm still alive; in other countries I wouldn't even get a chance to fail
eg I missed my bus - Maybe I wasn't destined to be on the bus (it was likely to break down or crash) I might meet someone new on the next bus; I can enjoy walking for a while following the bus stops and get my steps up as well?
eg I ate too much - but at least had several pieces of fruit and veg (& hope not to be sick)

Find out what you like about yourself, what you are good at, what you enjoy

Don't be too hard on yourself
kerry.woollands
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
(Original post by Muttly)
Take 'baby' steps and just make one small positive change each day and repeat it?

Getting out of bed every day is a goal - getting out of bed every day by 0700hrs is a target

Get straight into your walking gear as soon as you wake up and go for a 1 mile walk around the block. Fast, slow, fast as you can. Count lamp posts, steps. Do a lot, do a little. (see if your medical centre have a cardio group or depression group for walking motivation) Try and do that every day and give yourself one day off a week. Get into a routine.

Plan your nutrition every day. Start with keeping a food diary for how you are now. Then find a good nutrition weekly food plan and follow it. Lots of food and veg. Cut out biscuits, crisps, sugar, soda drinks. Drink lots and lots of water. Your low energy and irritability could just be a poor diet or medical reason - go and see your GP or practice nurse and discuss your health with them and discuss how you feel.

Why do you want to change? Is it fitness, weight, hair colour? Energy levels? You have the power to do this. You just have to decide when you take the first step.

Ask someone at college if they have any social meet ups, volunteering (riding for the disabled, dog rescue), activities with buddy systems or art classes for boosting mental health?

Keep a diary or journal and write down one positive event from every day. It can be something very simple to something amazing.
The small positives are the important ones. Comparisons are the way forward to get perspective on life.

eg I failed my test - so the positives - I was brave enough to try it; I can do it again; I can learn why I failed; several people never bothered to turn up; I'm still alive; in other countries I wouldn't even get a chance to fail
eg I missed my bus - Maybe I wasn't destined to be on the bus (it was likely to break down or crash) I might meet someone new on the next bus; I can enjoy walking for a while following the bus stops and get my steps up as well?
eg I ate too much - but at least had several pieces of fruit and veg (& hope not to be sick)

Find out what you like about yourself, what you are good at, what you enjoy

Don't be too hard on yourself
Thank you so much for taking your time to reply to my thread. I really needed some solid advice and you've really helped. My college do art club as an extra curricular so I think I might take that up I'm really trying to have a positive outlook too!
Muttly
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
I'm really glad my 'ramblings' have been helpful to you in some small way. I write from the heart and then just hope that it all makes sense.
The art club sounds like a super idea and a good fun time too. I hope you can find that fun and laughter growing in the next few weeks. Never waver.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Sociology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (27)
23.89%
The paper was reasonable (49)
43.36%
Not feeling great about that exam... (25)
22.12%
It was TERRIBLE (12)
10.62%

Watched Threads