Charlie0sborne
Badges: 9
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Hi please could people let me know my opinions on what sounds the better option. I am predicted A*AAA(epq)

The 2 unis I am considering is university of Kent or University of Surrey

Pros of Kent:
Like Canterbury a lot
they have their own building for the course I want to do
One of my good friends is going there
Nicer accommodation
Can apply for scholarships which am more likely to get

Cons of kent:
Lower ranked
Lower grade requirements
No swimming pool on campus (I swim)

Pros of Surrey:
Higher ranked for everything
Swimming pool on campus
Higher grade requirements which are still manageable
Cheaper accommodation

Cons of Surrey:
Not a lot happening in Guildford
Smaller campus
Worse accommodation
I think I like it less compared to Kent

Many thanks
Last edited by Charlie0sborne; 3 months ago
Khfhgdd
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 months ago
Most employers would probably consider them on par with each other tbh. I’d go for Kent because you clearly prefer it ! It’s most important that you’re happy
(You can find a local swimming pool I’m sure!)
McGinger
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Subject at Uni?
Charlie0sborne
Rep:
(Original post by McGinger)
Subject at Uni?
Economics and finance
jennybear
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
With the grades you're predicted have you considered any RG unis (not saying they're necessary better, they're not always, but worth considering)?
McGinger
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Charlie0sborne)
Economics and finance
Either Uni.

So look at the course content - especially options in the second and third years. If there are any extras like a work-placement or study abroad this is a major plus for your graduate CV. Look at the campus tour videos on YouTube, think about the cost etc if living in each place,
University of Kent Reps
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Hi please could people let me know my opinions on what sounds the better option. I am predicted A*AAA(epq)

Pros of Kent:
Like Canterbury a lot
Nicer accommodation

Cons of kent:
Lower ranked
Lower grade requirements

Pros of Surrey:
Swimming pool on campus
Cheaper accommodation

Cons of Surrey:
Smaller campus
Worse accommodation

Many thanks
Hi!
I'm a second year student at Kent and it great that you have done your research and narrowed it down to your preferences.

From my personal experience, I can say that Canterbury as a town partly motivated my decision to apply. Town is very nice, with pleasant views and gardens, which I find very soothing. Even the campus is very green, with plenty of fields and trees and beautiful views on the cathedral from the top of the hill. I found that during lockdown last year, having access to these open spaces really helped students pull through.
Although most say that Canterbury is small, I think that it not being a major city makes it safer and less distracting for student than most places. From my experience, I believe there is good balance between academic, social and nightlife and it is up to students to find it
Also, Canterbury is one train away from London, which is great! Most students like spending the weekend in the capital to party or go festivals and concerts or to pursue their passions by going to events (for me, it would be art galleries, exhibitions etc)

Choice of accommodation is very important as that can affect your overall university experience, so I would recommend opting for a place that you would enjoy as your room would be your own private space for a whole academic year and you want it to feel as comfortable as possible. Unfortunately we do not have a swimming pool on campus, but there a swimming pools across the Canterbury area you could look at.

One big incentive for me, was the chance to win the Academic Excellence Award, which comes with a monetary price and it might look great on your CV! Here is the link for more details: https://www.kent.ac.uk/scholarships/search/FNADACEX2201

Overall, I am very happy with my decision to join the University of Kent. I believe this is a place with plenty of opportunities and I would encourage you to choose the place that you think will thoroughly enjoy, and will give a chance to have a great life experience, which is what ultimately matters.

I hope this helps! If you have any more questions, don't hesitate to ask!

Tracy
-UKC Rep
mnot
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
I wouldn’t put too much weight on accommodation personally.

Halls are really what you make of them, afterwards for years 2-4 you’ll likely get student housing and you can get whatever you want.
Blue_Cow
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Both much of a muchness in terms of "reputation" etc. If you prefer Kent, then go with Kent.
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 3 months ago

Pros of Kent:
Like Canterbury a lot
Nicer accommodation

Cons of kent:
Lower ranked
Lower grade requirements

Pros of Surrey:
Swimming pool on campus
Cheaper accommodation

Cons of Surrey:
Smaller campus
Worse accommodation

Many thanks
I agree with what a poster said further up that with predictions of A*AAA you could apply to higher ranked unis for your Firm & Insurance (assume you are considering Kent or Surrey for Insurance).

But between the two I would pick Kent which seems to appeal to you more and is a nice city (I studied there). Guildford does not have the same charm in my opinion and is crazy expensive, almost London prices so you will pay a lot for rent in years 2 & 3
BenRyan99
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Interested to hear why you've chosen Surrey and Kent as the two unis for you considering your grades are pretty good. Could be applying to places like UCL, Warwick, Bristol, Durham, Edinburgh,. Notts, Bath, etc. Not saying you should target those unis but just wondering why you're not considering them
Charlie0sborne
Rep:
(Original post by University of Kent Reps)
Hi!
I'm a second year student at Kent and it great that you have done your research and narrowed it down to your preferences.

From my personal experience, I can say that Canterbury as a town partly motivated my decision to apply. Town is very nice, with pleasant views and gardens, which I find very soothing. Even the campus is very green, with plenty of fields and trees and beautiful views on the cathedral from the top of the hill. I found that during lockdown last year, having access to these open spaces really helped students pull through.
Although most say that Canterbury is small, I think that it not being a major city makes it safer and less distracting for student than most places. From my experience, I believe there is good balance between academic, social and nightlife and it is up to students to find it
Also, Canterbury is one train away from London, which is great! Most students like spending the weekend in the capital to party or go festivals and concerts or to pursue their passions by going to events (for me, it would be art galleries, exhibitions etc)

Choice of accommodation is very important as that can affect your overall university experience, so I would recommend opting for a place that you would enjoy as your room would be your own private space for a whole academic year and you want it to feel as comfortable as possible. Unfortunately we do not have a swimming pool on campus, but there a swimming pools across the Canterbury area you could look at.

One big incentive for me, was the chance to win the Academic Excellence Award, which comes with a monetary price and it might look great on your CV! Here is the link for more details: https://www.kent.ac.uk/scholarships/search/FNADACEX2201

Overall, I am very happy with my decision to join the University of Kent. I believe this is a place with plenty of opportunities and I would encourage you to choose the place that you think will thoroughly enjoy, and will give a chance to have a great life experience, which is what ultimately matters.

I hope this helps! If you have any more questions, don't hesitate to ask!

Tracy
-UKC Rep
Wow thanks so much that’s so helpful )) very persuading 😆
Charlie0sborne
Rep:
(Original post by BenRyan99)
Interested to hear why you've chosen Surrey and Kent as the two unis for you considering your grades are pretty good. Could be applying to places like UCL, Warwick, Bristol, Durham, Edinburgh,. Notts, Bath, etc. Not saying you should target those unis but just wondering why you're not considering them
I want a campus uni which is within 3 hours of home which is also modern looking. Bath was very tempting however didn’t have the course unfortunately didn’t like the look/sound of Bristol and didn’t like the area of Warwick. I considered nottingham but don’t think it’s for me. I’m quite picky I know
University of Surrey Student Rep
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 3 months ago

Pros of Kent:
Like Canterbury a lot
Nicer accommodation

Cons of kent:
Lower ranked
Lower grade requirements

Pros of Surrey:
Swimming pool on campus
Cheaper accommodation

Cons of Surrey:
Smaller campus
Worse accommodation

Many thanks
Hi there,

To introduce myself – I'm Joao. In my final year studying BSc Economics at Surrey University, I am working as a Campus Ambassador for JP Morgan. I recently finished my one-year industrial placement as an Economist for the British Government's Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (Defra). I also had the opportunity to work as a Private Secretary to the Minister of Environment and Biosecurity.

Our Economics and Finance BSc (Hons) offer you a potent combination of critical business and finance topics alongside the core elements of an economics degree. You'll study advanced mathematical and analytical techniques to prepare you for your future career. As a result, you'll be exceptionally well-prepared to enter City finance roles and undertake further study in the areas of business and finance. Our teaching is at the forefront of the field and is influenced by real industry insights. All academics within our School of Economics are research-active, and some are advisers to world-renowned organisations. We also offer award-winning Professional Training Placements, which prepare students for roles in various sectors. We deliver on jobs, too. We were named the University of the Year for Graduate Employment in The Times/Sunday Times Good University Guide 2022.

On our BSc (Hons) Economics and Finance course, you will study how the business and finance sectors operate, their role in modern economics and the essential tools for analysing them. This course is developed around a framework of core economics and quantitative principles. In addition, you'll learn a robust set of analytical skills that are highly relevant to the worlds of business and finance. You will also develop analytical, problem-solving and critical thinking skills and proficiency in quantitative analysis and data analysis. The course will also help you improve your written and oral presentation skills.

If you have any questions about Surrey or uni life in general, please ask as I can help you out!

Joao

Economics
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA Combined Science - Biology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (59)
34.5%
The paper was reasonable (68)
39.77%
Not feeling great about that exam... (28)
16.37%
It was TERRIBLE (16)
9.36%

Watched Threads