Gcse choices?

Watch this thread
CorporalBooch43
Badges: 6
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
What GCSEs do universities prefer? I have to pick me GCSEs soon any recommendations in subjects?
Last edited by CorporalBooch43; 3 months ago
AlexanderJRL
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 months ago
Most universities don't care about GCSEs at all (other than maths and english). If you want to do something like computer science at uni then you'll likely need to do computer science A-level and for that you'll often need a computer science GCSE, cases like that are really the only time your GCSEs matter for uni.
Emma:-)
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by CorporalBooch43)
What GCSEs do universities prefer? I have to pick me GCSEs soon any recommendations in subjects?
Most unis dont mind which subjects you do. As long as you have maths and english (and possibly science) then thats all that matters.
They usually prefer something like at least 5 gcse's at grade C or above.
CorporalBooch43
Rep:
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
(Original post by Emma:-))
Most unis dont mind which subjects you do. As long as you have maths and english (and possibly science) then thats all that matters.
They usually prefer something like at least 5 gcse's at grade C or above.
Thanks, I am aiming for all 9s. What year are you? What did you get for your GCSEs and what did you do
skylark2
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Maths and English (for some courses, at a higher level than a bare pass). You don't need CS GCSE to do CS A level, and you don't need CS A level to do a CS degree. There are some subjects where not taking GCSE would mean you'd closed that option down, though - history, maybe?
Emma:-)
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by CorporalBooch43)
Thanks, I am aiming for all 9s. What year are you? What did you get for your GCSEs and what did you do
Im 30 now.
I did English language= C, English literature= C, Maths= B, Science (double award)= BB, ICT (short course)= B, Religion= B, Geography= C, Sociology= B, Business studies= A, French= C.
scg123
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
As long as you have your basic Maths, English and Science GCSEs I don't think universities care. If you think you want to go into a scientific field then maybe pick triple science.

Universities tend to look at A-Levels more. For example, I'm currently studying medicine and needed at least 3 A grades at A Level, one had to be chemistry and the other had to be biology, the third being whatever I wanted. The GCSEs were rated by how many A*, A, B grades rather than the actual subjects (I was WJEC exam board).

One of my A-Levels was French. I couldn't have done that without doing it at GCSE. So there are exceptions where you will need the GCSE in order to do the A-Level, and there are also A-Level exceptions such as Psychology, Sociology etc. where you wouldn't need the GCSE to do the A-Level.
tinyperson
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
it usually does not matter
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA GCSE English Language Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (77)
19.01%
The paper was reasonable (152)
37.53%
Not feeling great about that exam... (114)
28.15%
It was TERRIBLE (62)
15.31%

Watched Threads