The Student Room Group

Questions about applying to UCAS / to uni

Hey, i am a mature student doing her a-levels online, I have spent the last few months doing enough work to gain and boost my predicted grade for Uni application, therefore I am now doing the actual UCAS application last minute and freaking out like a smart person...

I am a private candidate and have not booked my exam centre yet as I have until end of February to do that. Do I need it booked in order to apply to UCAS? If so, do I just call up a local college to see if I can book an exam?

I have lost my certificates for GCSE as did it like 6 years ago, does it matter too much what month i put i passed or if I put AQA on one that is edexcel cause I really cannot remember.

Do I need to put all the AS levels that I failed at school years ago?

references - is this just for education or also work?

Is there someone i can contact, maybe thro ucas, who i can ask questions directly too whilst I'm filling this out?

Personal statement - how do i make it great?
Could you see if you can contact the school that you went to to help you with the process at all? Like providing references etc. if you still need those as a mature student. There is a way to get replacement certificates for like GCSEs and A-Levels etc, but it will just be like the exam boards and what grades you got etc, like if you ask for another birth certificate, they won't give you what you received at the time. I think you might have to contact the exam boards to do this. Personal statement wise, it really depends what you're applying for. Basically, from school we were given three questions to base it off and expand on.
- Why do you want to do the course that you are most interested in?
- What skills and attributes do you have that are going to help you on the course you are interested in?
- What is special about you?

If you go onto: ucas.com/contact-us
this might help to answer some of the other questions you have.
Reply 2
Original post by Wibble04
Could you see if you can contact the school that you went to to help you with the process at all? Like providing references etc. if you still need those as a mature student. There is a way to get replacement certificates for like GCSEs and A-Levels etc, but it will just be like the exam boards and what grades you got etc, like if you ask for another birth certificate, they won't give you what you received at the time. I think you might have to contact the exam boards to do this. Personal statement wise, it really depends what you're applying for. Basically, from school we were given three questions to base it off and expand on.
- Why do you want to do the course that you are most interested in?
- What skills and attributes do you have that are going to help you on the course you are interested in?
- What is special about you?

If you go onto: ucas.com/contact-us
this might help to answer some of the other questions you have.

I contacted my old school today, UCAS, and my online college today and have a lot more info. Thank you for your response.

Those are helpful questions, I never stuck around for the part of secondary school where they assist you with UCAS applications etc. What does the last question mean? Could you give some examples please? I am applying to psychology undergrad
Original post by Sophie555666
I contacted my old school today, UCAS, and my online college today and have a lot more info. Thank you for your response.

Those are helpful questions, I never stuck around for the part of secondary school where they assist you with UCAS applications etc. What does the last question mean? Could you give some examples please? I am applying to psychology undergrad

So some stuff that some people might include for the "what is special about you?" bit:
- DofE
- Leadership roles within school / experience you might have that would make you stand apart from the crowd
- Hobbies - how this might influence / include in your chosen subject - ie. psychology
- I did the Baden Powell Award in Girlguiding, so I put that down in mine
- Maybe some other stuff that you could continue whilst at university --> like what would you be bringing to the table?
- back to the hobbies thing - could you join a society or something in some of your hobbies. How would you want / hope to continue this etc.

Hope this clarifies a bit.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending