The Student Room Group

Is Games and Multimedia Environments the same as Game Design

I want to do Game Design at uni and when I went to Uni of Sussex I fell in love with the location, the campus, everything! The only games course they have is Games and Multimedia Environments and I’m wondering if that is the same or quite similar to Game Design.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by suavecub
I want to do Game Design at uni and when I went to Uni of Sussex I fell in love with the location, the campus, everything! The only games course they have is Games and Multimedia Environments and I’m wondering if that is the same or quite similar to Game Design.

Hi Suavecub.
I would recommend looking at the course breakdown and modules that they do and see what sort of field in games do they focus on. Some universities will focus on 2D games coding or programming while others will focus on creating the design of the game such as characters, props, weapons, lighting, environment ex.
From looking at university of susses i can see they have a few games courses that seem to be based on programming, production, and coding and interactive design.
Games design course is more of the artistic side of gaming. It is more about creating props, texturing, lighting, sculpting, environment design VFX, and level design. It covers production and programming as well. Although it is not the most focused on but will offer you general knowledge for it. This is something that Escape studios teaches in The Art of Video Games Course. If you are interested do check our courses. https://www.pearsoncollegelondon.ac.uk/escape-studios/games-courses-degrees.html#gamecourses

Hope this helps :smile:
Original post by Mark_fr
If you are a more creative person, I would recommend studying 3D graphics. Now this is a very promising profession. So if your heart is more creative, I would recommend taking a Blender or Cinema 4D course. For example, 3D graphics are difficult for me, basketball stars

I would advise learning 3D graphics if you are a more creative person. This career is now highly promising. But if you have a more artistic heart, I'd suggest enrolling in a Blender or Cinema 4D course. For instance, I find 3D graphics challenging.
(edited 10 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest