The Student Room Group

English First Language

Please can anyone give me advise on how to improve my vocabulary and essay writing skills(descriptive) for the igcse English first language examination
Reply 1
Original post by Yara :)
Please can anyone give me advise on how to improve my vocabulary and essay writing skills(descriptive) for the igcse English first language examination

There are lots of materials available online for IELTS (academic strand) both parts 1 (describe a graph/chart) and 2 (essay).
For vocab acquisition, reading lots, highlighting new words, and learning collocations (eg which words go together like pay a debt, make friends)
Reply 2
Have you heard of graded readers? These normally have comprehension questions at the end of chapters. All big publishers have them (OUP, Cambridge, penguin, Routledge etc as well as smaller players) and check they have the questions.

And get the right CEFR level. IELTS 5.5-6.0 is about B1, 5.0 is B2, 6.0 is about C1. Publishers use different scales which is a pain

Plenty available from your usual bookshops. Will give you my recommendation is you want
Reply 3
Original post by alandorn
I agree that the easiest way to improve the vocabulary is reading a lot. I try to read newspapers and books every day. Sometimes I use a little help of pro writing service here https://writingcheap.com/. These guys often help me with my writings. They are professionals in proofreading and grammar check. Useful service for foreign students.

Worst advice ever! Take some pride in yourself and belief in your own ability. Why both paying someone to do your work for you ie cheating? If you're doing a professional degree like dentistry, law or medicine, you'll have your fitness to practice certificate taken away.
You'll be paying for this service, tuition fees, and run the risk of having your degree made null and void. Just not worth it. Grow a backbone and achieve your degree knowing full well it's your own work

Quick Reply

Latest