Should I use 'inflation rate' instead of 'price level' when using an AD/AS diagram?

Watch this thread
bluesun86
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Using price level implies that an AD shift to the left causes deflation, which isn't necessarily true, unless the economy is in a deep recession. An AD decrease results in disinflation, but not a reduction in the price level, so why do most AD/AS diagrams still use price level on the vertical axis instead of the inflation rate?
Last edited by bluesun86; 3 months ago
cloudy1012
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 months ago
It's to show your analysis skills, so if price changes, what happens to the inflation rate. It's how they've always been drawn
bluesun86
Rep:
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
(Original post by cloudy1012)
It's to show your analysis skills, so if price changes, what happens to the inflation rate. It's how they've always been drawn
So I draw 2 separate diagrams, one with the inflation rate and one with the price level?
BenRyan99
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by bluesun86)
Using price level implies that an AD shift to the left causes deflation, which isn't necessarily true, unless the economy is in a deep recession. An AD decrease results in disinflation, but not a reduction in the price level, so why do most AD/AS diagrams still use price level on the vertical axis instead of the inflation rate?
I don't really get your question tbh. AD/AS diagrams are too basic to infer whether an AD leftward shift causes deflation or disinflation and normally you just specify the axis as an infinite continuum rather than a line between two finite numbers.

Ultimately, a leftward AD shift causes a decrease in the price level, whether that causes deflation or disinflation doesn't affect what should be on the y-axis. It only infers disinflation if you actively label the origin as zero on every graph which most don't do and you're not expected to. Without labelling the origin the a leftward AD shift can plausibly result in deflation. Either way it's not important, just put price level.
Last edited by BenRyan99; 3 months ago
cloudy1012
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by bluesun86)
So I draw 2 separate diagrams, one with the inflation rate and one with the price level?
no just do the price level. That's the way it's usually taught and is required to be drawn like that in the exams
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Psychology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (124)
38.39%
The paper was reasonable (154)
47.68%
Not feeling great about that exam... (31)
9.6%
It was TERRIBLE (14)
4.33%

Watched Threads