The Student Room Group

Should I use 'inflation rate' instead of 'price level' when using an AD/AS diagram?

Using price level implies that an AD shift to the left causes deflation, which isn't necessarily true, unless the economy is in a deep recession. An AD decrease results in disinflation, but not a reduction in the price level, so why do most AD/AS diagrams still use price level on the vertical axis instead of the inflation rate?
(edited 2 years ago)
It's to show your analysis skills, so if price changes, what happens to the inflation rate. It's how they've always been drawn
Reply 2
Original post by cloudy1012
It's to show your analysis skills, so if price changes, what happens to the inflation rate. It's how they've always been drawn

So I draw 2 separate diagrams, one with the inflation rate and one with the price level?
Original post by bluesun86
Using price level implies that an AD shift to the left causes deflation, which isn't necessarily true, unless the economy is in a deep recession. An AD decrease results in disinflation, but not a reduction in the price level, so why do most AD/AS diagrams still use price level on the vertical axis instead of the inflation rate?

I don't really get your question tbh. AD/AS diagrams are too basic to infer whether an AD leftward shift causes deflation or disinflation and normally you just specify the axis as an infinite continuum rather than a line between two finite numbers.

Ultimately, a leftward AD shift causes a decrease in the price level, whether that causes deflation or disinflation doesn't affect what should be on the y-axis. It only infers disinflation if you actively label the origin as zero on every graph which most don't do and you're not expected to. Without labelling the origin the a leftward AD shift can plausibly result in deflation. Either way it's not important, just put price level.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by bluesun86
So I draw 2 separate diagrams, one with the inflation rate and one with the price level?

no just do the price level. That's the way it's usually taught and is required to be drawn like that in the exams

Quick Reply

Latest