chester or john moores?

Watch this thread
xkaytie29x
Badges: 4
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
I have offers from both uni's 1 is child nursing ( what I wanted to do) and 1 is adult nursing ( i would do pgdip in edge hill for child after). I loved some and hated some in each uni but they both have identical pros and cons.
has anyone studied these subjects and can share their experiences at either of these unis?
Emily_B
Badges: 15
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by xkaytie29x)
I have offers from both uni's 1 is child nursing ( what I wanted to do) and 1 is adult nursing ( i would do pgdip in edge hill for child after). I loved some and hated some in each uni but they both have identical pros and cons.
has anyone studied these subjects and can share their experiences at either of these unis?
Congratulations on your offers.
I studied adult nursing at Chester, qualified in 2019 and have mentored quite a few students since (everything from 1st year 1st placement 1st day on a ward ever, to supervising a 3rd year OSCE and everything in between!)
My cohort - adult nursing at Chester - got the vast majority of our placements in Chester & Ellesmere Port. There were a few who got community placements in Frodsham/Helsby (district nurses or nursing homes) or Tarporley War Memorial Hospital - but these were people with cars/who live in that direction. Nowadays the occasional Chester student will get a placement at Arrowe Park hospital, however generally most placements are based nearby to/on whether you're studying in Chester or at the Warrington/Birkenhead/Crewe satellite sites. Children's nursing I get the impression may be slightly skewed due to children's services - there was a children's nurse in my cohort who got sent to Leighton for 2 placements, quite a number got more than 1 spoke placements at Alder Hey.
Placements at Chester are anything from 4 to 12 weeks long where the 12 week one is final placement.
xkaytie29x
Rep:
(Original post by Emily_B)
Congratulations on your offers.
I studied adult nursing at Chester, qualified in 2019 and have mentored quite a few students since (everything from 1st year 1st placement 1st day on a ward ever, to supervising a 3rd year OSCE and everything in between!)
My cohort - adult nursing at Chester - got the vast majority of our placements in Chester & Ellesmere Port. There were a few who got community placements in Frodsham/Helsby (district nurses or nursing homes) or Tarporley War Memorial Hospital - but these were people with cars/who live in that direction. Nowadays the occasional Chester student will get a placement at Arrowe Park hospital, however generally most placements are based nearby to/on whether you're studying in Chester or at the Warrington/Birkenhead/Crewe satellite sites. Children's nursing I get the impression may be slightly skewed due to children's services - there was a children's nurse in my cohort who got sent to Leighton for 2 placements, quite a number got more than 1 spoke placements at Alder Hey.
Placements at Chester are anything from 4 to 12 weeks long where the 12 week one is final placement.
do we get to choose are placement areas? or are they given to us?
Emily_B
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
do we get to choose are placement areas? or are they given to us?
Apart from final placement, there is no choice whatsoever - you go where you get sent. This is the same for all universities.
xkaytie29x
Rep:
(Original post by Emily_B)
Apart from final placement, there is no choice whatsoever - you go where you get sent. This is the same for all universities.
thankyou i did ask them in both institutions but they said " placements are 1st come " so i thought we picked the ones we wanted to go to.
Emily_B
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
thankyou i did ask them in both institutions but they said " placements are 1st come " so i thought we picked the ones we wanted to go to.
They tell you that.... then Chester will place you depending on which campus you study at - so if your base campus is Warrington, you get (mostly, if not all the time) sent to Warrington based placement areas etc.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (19)
20.21%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (11)
11.7%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (5)
5.32%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (16)
17.02%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (23)
24.47%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (20)
21.28%

Watched Threads