The Student Room Group

Choices

I’m 16, in London, not that old, haven’t done my GCSEs, but have done my GCSE mocks.

I hope to do Physics, Mathematics, Music and Psychology or English Literature.

Was thinking a lot, and decided that I’d rather be anywhere than the UK. Everything just depresses me and I don’t know why - The weather is absolutely **** here, I want to escape my parents. There’s probably a lot more reasons, I just can’t think stuff off the top of my head. Lately, I’ve been exploring international options for university like Australia, USA, Switzerland, Canada, Norway… etc, but I don’t know. I’ve always been somewhat of an outcast for the majority of my life and I want to fit in for once. If I were to go to university in London, I’d be living in my parent’s house - a thought I find depressing and don’t want to experience. I’m an academic, but I want that “university experience”, you know. I wouldn’t mind if I were to live in London without having to live with my parents. There’s also the option of moving to a university outside of London, but there isn’t one I can find with the combination of reputation + academics + social life + that city vibe like London.

I sound confusing, but TLDR: I wanna get out of this place.

I’ve been interested in the University of Sydney for a while now and am considering doing my undergraduate as well as postgraduate there. Besides, I wouldn’t mind having to settle in Australia. I want to be disconnected from the rest of the world and enjoy life blindly.

Would you choose to study in an international capital that you’re incredibly familiar with - full of incredible world class universities in the top 50, or would you choose to have a completely new start in another city that’s far far away, but provides a good salary / ample opportunities.

FYI: Not coming here to ask internet strangers to help me with big decisions, just gathering what other people would do.

Extra Note: I want to study Psychology with Music as an undergraduate, then progress onto a masters in Forensic Psychology and eventually a PhD in Forensics.
Original post by Slaydize
I’m 16, in London, not that old, haven’t done my GCSEs, but have done my GCSE mocks.

I hope to do Physics, Mathematics, Music and Psychology or English Literature.

Was thinking a lot, and decided that I’d rather be anywhere than the UK. Everything just depresses me and I don’t know why - The weather is absolutely **** here, I want to escape my parents. There’s probably a lot more reasons, I just can’t think stuff off the top of my head. Lately, I’ve been exploring international options for university like Australia, USA, Switzerland, Canada, Norway… etc, but I don’t know. I’ve always been somewhat of an outcast for the majority of my life and I want to fit in for once. If I were to go to university in London, I’d be living in my parent’s house - a thought I find depressing and don’t want to experience. I’m an academic, but I want that “university experience”, you know. I wouldn’t mind if I were to live in London without having to live with my parents. There’s also the option of moving to a university outside of London, but there isn’t one I can find with the combination of reputation + academics + social life + that city vibe like London.

I sound confusing, but TLDR: I wanna get out of this place.

I’ve been interested in the University of Sydney for a while now and am considering doing my undergraduate as well as postgraduate there. Besides, I wouldn’t mind having to settle in Australia. I want to be disconnected from the rest of the world and enjoy life blindly.

Would you choose to study in an international capital that you’re incredibly familiar with - full of incredible world class universities in the top 50, or would you choose to have a completely new start in another city that’s far far away, but provides a good salary / ample opportunities.

FYI: Not coming here to ask internet strangers to help me with big decisions, just gathering what other people would do.

Extra Note: I want to study Psychology with Music as an undergraduate, then progress onto a masters in Forensic Psychology and eventually a PhD in Forensics.

I have to let you know that I know exactly how you're feeling. When looking to start my undergrad I just wanted to get out of Canada. The country was too small, my parents were too close, I wanted a new start and a new life, I wanted to be gay. Ended up applying to school in the UK. Got offers but the cost was too high so stayed close to home at a school that would give me a scholarship.
There are a few things at play here. If you can afford the move and the added expense of living and international tuition I don't see why you wouldn't go on an adventure. I certainly would have. University is a perfect chance to branch out a bit (plus, living in your parent's house doesn't really let you develop as an adult nearly as much as you should during that period (trust me....)). That said, if money is an issue, staying close to home and not taking on much debt might be best in the long run. I cannot state the benefit of having a minimal debt load after undergrad. There will be plenty of time to move away to do an MA and PhD later (especially if you find programs that will fund you).
The weather in Sydney is nice. And its a good school. Not terribly expensive if I remember correctly. The culture is a bit different from the UK, but if you can I would say go for it.
Reply 2
well cost is first and foremost. how would you fund studying all these degrees abroad? have you looked at visa costs and flights and cost of living? used to live in Sydney and it's an expensive place to live and enjoy.

personally prefer the UK since travel is much easier. Australia is huge land wise and very remote so you don't get to hop on a £20 flight to another country and stay in a cheap accommodation; can't even travel to the next city for £20. also ps it isn't always hot. winters will go down to +5 which feels cold. but yes it would be a great adventure and if you don't like it you can always come home.
Reply 3
Original post by Joleee
well cost is first and foremost. how would you fund studying all these degrees abroad? have you looked at visa costs and flights and cost of living? used to live in Sydney and it's an expensive place to live and enjoy.

personally prefer the UK since travel is much easier. Australia is huge land wise and very remote so you don't get to hop on a £20 flight to another country and stay in a cheap accommodation; can't even travel to the next city for £20. also ps it isn't always hot. winters will go down to +5 which feels cold. but yes it would be a great adventure and if you don't like it you can always come home.

I'd probably apply for a scholarship in USYD if I could. They're ridiculously competitive, but I'll take my shots. If not, I'm just gonna have to stay in London / UK unless I receive financial aid from the government / family / side-hustle (which is going to be music production). As for how remote it is, that's pretty much the reason why I love Australia. I don't mind the temperature, I just don't want it to be inconsistent as heck.
Reply 4
ok good luck to you! just for clarity what i meant was Sydney itself is remote. like, you can't just take a cheap train to Melbourne or Brisbane (train doesn't even exist) and you can't take a cheap train or flight to anywhere in Australia. this likely isn't on the top of your worries but just mentioning it because it's a different lifestyle compared to living in Europe. you can eat kangaroo pizza at your local pub tho.
Reply 5
Original post by Joleee
ok good luck to you! just for clarity what i meant was Sydney itself is remote. like, you can't just take a cheap train to Melbourne or Brisbane (train doesn't even exist) and you can't take a cheap train or flight to anywhere in Australia. this likely isn't on the top of your worries but just mentioning it because it's a different lifestyle compared to living in Europe. you can eat kangaroo pizza at your local pub tho.

1) Thanks :smile:
2) Seems like I took it in the wrong manner - I should take note of the transport system as a disadvantage, going back and from Melbourne would be beneficial towards me.
3) Kangaroo pizza?! This will be the reason I move back to the UK if I ever go to Australia!

Quick Reply

Latest