The Student Room Group

Glasses

I have a very high prescription and due to go into a college class shortly. However, I cannot see a thing as the screw has came out of my glasses detaching the arm - I am short sighted and can't even read my phone screen at arms length. I still have the arm but have lost the screw so I am unable to put it back in. All opticians in the local area are now closed for today but I cannot afford to skip class.

Has this ever happened to anybody else and if so how did you fix the glasses temporarily or does anyone have suggestions for temporary measures until I can get a new screw?
Original post by Anonymous
I have a very high prescription and due to go into a college class shortly. However, I cannot see a thing as the screw has came out of my glasses detaching the arm - I am short sighted and can't even read my phone screen at arms length. I still have the arm but have lost the screw so I am unable to put it back in. All opticians in the local area are now closed for today but I cannot afford to skip class.

Has this ever happened to anybody else and if so how did you fix the glasses temporarily or does anyone have suggestions for temporary measures until I can get a new screw?

i knew someone who just tried their best to put tape (if you use this, i’d pack some tape with you in case it falls apart at one point tho) from the arm to the frame before getting it fixed. someone else i knew also used a flat elastic band instead of the arms of their glasses, but i unfortunately don’t know how they attached it - it was a few years ago so i dont really remember how they broke their glasses
Reply 2
Original post by jaesix
i knew someone who just tried their best to put tape (if you use this, i’d pack some tape with you in case it falls apart at one point tho) from the arm to the frame before getting it fixed. someone else i knew also used a flat elastic band instead of the arms of their glasses, but i unfortunately don’t know how they attached it - it was a few years ago so i dont really remember how they broke their glasses

Not sure I can quite picture how an elastic band would work but may have to go down the tape root!
Original post by Anonymous

You could try some blu-tak - always useful for a temporary repair. @Kathy89 might have some better temporary fixes.
Reply 4
Original post by Reality Check
You could try some blu-tak - always useful for a temporary repair. @Kathy89 might have some better temporary fixes.

Blue tac - never thought of that!
Reply 5
An optician can fix this within a few minutes. Go to an optician
I’ve had this when I need my glasses quicker than I can get to an optician, just tape the into place, you won’t be able to close them of course but just make them secure.

Quick Reply

Latest