The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London

Is Queen Mary good for English literature

My friend want to do an MA at Queen Mary in English literature, and she wants to know the reputation of the uni, she wants to get into journalism in the UK. She also has an offer from King's college and Exeter, but she prefers the curriculum at Queen Mary. Which one would you say has more of a reputation among employers, particularly between kings and Queen mary for English litrature. Thank you very much.
Hey Archie!

As Queen Mary is part of the Russel Group and the fact that we are based in London, the university as a whole has very good links with employers, as would King's College. We also have a robust careers service who support you for three years after you have left the university.

I don't take English Literature myself so I'm not completely sure about graduate jobs specifically for English but I do think that Queen Mary has great support and reputation when it comes to employment. At the university, it would be great to utilise the careers service for support in finding things to do while you're at university, like internships, and network through this. As I mentioned, we are based in London so this provides great opportunities as there are so many employers that are also based in London and you could find many others through them/get great opportunities by having experience with them.

Generally, I would also say that making sure you like the modules that are part of the course is super important because this is what you will be studying at the end of the day so it is really important to ensure that you'll actually enjoy it and get what you want out of it as well as considering graduate jobs.

I hope this helps! If you want any more info, Unibuddy is a great platform where you could talk to a student currently studying the subject you are interested in. The link to this is https://www.qmul.ac.uk/unibuddy/.

- Liv, Student Ambassador and Official Rep
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London

Quick Reply