The Student Room Group

Can I get all 7s, 8s and 9s in 4 months for GCSEs

I got my December mock grades back last week and they didn't go according to plan...

These are my results:

Eng lang: 7
Eng lit: 4
Biology: 7
Chemistry: 7
Physics: 8
Maths: 6 (we didn't do a mock for maths because we did an IGCSE exam in November so this grade is how we did in class so far)
History: 5
Computer science: 6
Business studies: 6
Food technology: 6
Religious studies: 6
German: 3

*Note: I didn't revise as much as I should have and now I was wondering if I can turn these into 7s and above. We have our GCSEs starting late May
(edited 2 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by DarkSunIsDead
I got my December mock grades back last week and they didn't go according to plan...

These are my results:

Maths: 6 (we didn't do a mock for maths because we did an IGCSE exam in November so this grade is how we did in class so far)

*Note: I didn't revise as much as I should have and now I was wondering if I can turn these into 7s and above

(Almost certainly) No way you could turn a 3 and 4 to 7s or 8s in 4 months.
As for the rest of your subjects, it's possible.
Original post by sufys12

Imagine if OP proves you wrong and gets all 9’s
100% many people ik have done it before. Just gotta focus and work hard and make sure you start now.
Original post by CaptainDuckie
Imagine if OP proves you wrong and gets all 9’s

I don't see anyone going from a 3 to a 9 in 4 months though. That would be very, very crazy.
It'd be quite funny though.
Original post by nightmare_9424
100% many people ik have done it before. Just gotta focus and work hard and make sure you start now.

Have they done it from a 3 in German though? I doubt it.
Not german but subjects such as science , maths and English. As German is rlly hard in most cases
Original post by sufys12

What may be the highest someone can jump his grade by because if i cant get a 7, can at least get a 6 in german?
What may be the highest someone can jump his grade by because if i cant get a 7, can at least get a 6 in german?

6? If you worked really hard I suppose it's possible. Jumping 3 grades in 4 months is unlikely though, when usually a student would jump 1 grade each year...

That rather depends on why you got a 3. If it's because you CBA over a period of several years, know no vocabulary or grammar and can't understand or even recognise the structure in anything you hear or read, probably not. If it's because you didn't revise and were sat in the exam thinking "I should know what that means" and "oh no, I've forgotten what the German for 'dog' is" then you'll be fine (provided you now do revise, of course).
Original post by skylark2
That rather depends on why you got a 3. If it's because you CBA over a period of several years, know no vocabulary or grammar and can't understand or even recognise the structure in anything you hear or read, probably not. If it's because you didn't revise and were sat in the exam thinking "I should know what that means" and "oh no, I've forgotten what the German for 'dog' is" then you'll be fine (provided you now do revise, of course).

Yes, that's exactly how I felt, I couldn't remember some stuff cuz I didn't revise before going in. I thought german is a useless subj and it's just mocks... but now I look back, german is really important if I want to get into good unis, etc. If I revise for german, can I probs get a 6 in it?
Yes, that's exactly how I felt, I couldn't remember some stuff cuz I didn't revise before going in. I thought german is a useless subj and it's just mocks... but now I look back, german is really important if I want to get into good unis, etc. If I revise for german, can I probs get a 6 in it?

There's no point trying to get lots of people to say that it's possible to get a high grade in it. If you work hard you will get a better grade than if you don't. That's it.

These are my results:

History: 5

*Note: I didn't revise as much as I should have and now I was wondering if I can turn these into 7s and above. We have our GCSEs starting late May

I would say it's possible... it just depends on how much effort and time you are willing to put in. Even then it would be hard to get all to 7+. I would focus most on English lit as unis sometimes have a minimum requirement for it so you should really aim for at least a 6 to make sure you're not limited for uni choices by your GCSEs. Idk if you've thought about uni yet but prioritise subjects that will relate to your degree, e.g. if applying for history focus on improving history and other essay subjects more. Honestly, it will be pretty hard to go from a 3 in German to a 7 but German is probably the least useful subject in terms of A level/uni choices and you can learn German whenever you want without having to get a GCSE in it.
English lit might be tricky because although it does require memorisation of quotes and context, a lot of it is technique as well which would be difficult to improve to grade 7 standard. Make a point, use embedded quotes to back it up, and analyse it to death taking into account the context in which it was written. Do a lot of practice questions.
Maths is simple to revise for; there are practice questions everywhere. Do every exam paper you can find and do practice questions on topics you struggle with. Should be fairly easy to bump it up to a 7 if you practice between now and the exam.
History... again, technique is important too. Possible but unlikely.
I didn't do computer science, business studies or food technology but I assume that 6 to 7 is possible.
Religious studies is an easy 9 once you've figured out how the mark scheme works. You really just need minimal knowledge and a few good quotes from religious scriptures for the beliefs section. The religious practices are a bit harder, you need to memorise a bit more there, but it's definitely possible to go from 6 to 7/8/9 in RS.
German... maybe you should just focus on passing that one. Make sure you know basic German grammar and use the specification to find the topics you should have covered. Try to learn a bit of vocabulary for each topic. I did Spanish and to achieve the top grades you need a fairly good understanding of grammar, you need to use past and future tenses and I think I used some subjunctives in my writing exam too. Languages are really something you need to build an understanding of over the whole course.
Original post by bea_murray0
I would say it's possible... it just depends on how much effort and time you are willing to put in. Even then it would be hard to get all to 7+. I would focus most on English lit as unis sometimes have a minimum requirement for it so you should really aim for at least a 6 to make sure you're not limited for uni choices by your GCSEs. Idk if you've thought about uni yet but prioritise subjects that will relate to your degree, e.g. if applying for history focus on improving history and other essay subjects more. Honestly, it will be pretty hard to go from a 3 in German to a 7 but German is probably the least useful subject in terms of A level/uni choices and you can learn German whenever you want without having to get a GCSE in it.

I was thinking of doing either a Physics course or Computer Science in Uni, I picked Maths, Computer science, Business and Physics for A levels.
I was thinking of doing either a Physics course or Computer Science in Uni, I picked Maths, Computer science, Business and Physics for A levels.

The good news is those subjects seem to be your stronger ones, you could definitely get business and CS up to a 7 at the end of the year, maths is a bit more of a jump so you'll need to prioritise that too. Best of luck!
I’m getting similar grades to you and I actually want to try and boost my grades to 7 and above 🥲
nothing is impossible. no seriously, i got a 5 in my biology and english lit mock and ended up with 7s. and consistent 4s in geography which turned into a 6 and 7 in the real thing. and even at a levels, i used to consistently get Ds in psychology and now i'm working at a B. you can do it mate :smile:
also if you need help with german or maths i'd be more than happy to help since i got 9s in both, they were like my easiest subjects as gcse! :smile:

UK employers have stated that German is one of their most sought for languages - speaking a second language or even more is an extremely useful skill, it isn't really important to get into good universities (Oxbridge would take you for a Maths course even if you didn't speak German...) but will be a huge addition to your CV

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending