Is 7 years too big an age gap? Discussion

Watch this thread
I'mnotginger
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
I went to a summer camp last summer (2021 for future readers) and kinda fancied my group leader the entire time. I was 15 at the time and he is 22. It's unlikely that I'll chase after him in the future when I'm in my twenties as I think the fact that he's seen me as a teenager and him an adult would be too weird.

However, this did spark a thought - would you date someone with a 7 year age gap? And, by this, I mean say if you were 20 as a minimum age and they were 27.

I'm a girl for context
Last edited by I'mnotginger; 3 months ago
ecolier
Badges: 22
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 months ago
Depends on how old you are.

15 and 22?! Definite no no (edited to add: it's illegal)

90 and 97? Who even cares.
Last edited by ecolier; 3 months ago
Anonymous #1
Report 3 months ago
No. Unless your like in your 30s, 7 years is a lot so one person is significantly older
sufys
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by I'mnotginger)
I went to a summer camp last summer (2021 for future readers) and kinda fancied my group leader the entire time. I was 15 at the time and he is 22. It's unlikely that I'll chase after him in the future when I'm in my twenties as I think the fact that he's seen me as a teenager and him an adult would be too weird.

However, this did spark a thought - would you date someone with a 7 year age gap?

I'm a girl for context
No, because I'm 14. I wouldn't date a 7 year old, nor would I date a 21 year old.
Anyhow, if I were 15 years older I wouldn't have qualms with it.
succubus666
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
thats literally illegal
candydiva
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Yeah ofc. Age-gap rels r the best!

I know the sit... for me he was in his early 40s and me 16... as a counterpoint to all the horror stories/fearmongering/ideology on this topic I won't speak for others but I can tell u my dude has always showed me total respect and consideration in every way, emotionally, professionally, sexually..... and now I'm totally used to zero boydrama so I'd never seriously date a dude my age or younger.
I'mnotginger
Rep:
(Original post by ecolier)
Depends on how old you are.

15 and 22?! Definite no no (edited to add: it's illegal)

90 and 97? Who even cares.
Lmao nooooooo I put "in the future" to make sure everyone knows I'm not suggesting *****philia
hannah tchibinda
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by candydiva)

I know the sit... for me he was in his early 40s and me 16... as a counterpoint to all the horror stories/fearmongering/ideology on this topic I won't speak for others but I can tell u my dude has always showed me total respect and consideration in every way, emotionally, professionally, sexually..... and now I'm totally used to zero boydrama so I'd never seriously date a dude my age or younger.
40 and 16? You’re being groomed my love. That is illegal.
I'mnotginger
Rep:
(Original post by sufys12)
No, because I'm 14. I wouldn't date a 7 year old, nor would I date a 21 year old.
Anyhow, if I were 15 years older I wouldn't have qualms with it.
Okay that's it I'm editing my post since I clearly didn't communicate what I meant properly
candydiva
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by hannah tchibinda)
Er no. U have no idea about the law. First the law is different in different places but even in UK age of consent is 16. That means fyi I can engage in watever sexual behavior I like at the age of 16 with whomever I want if they are also 16 or over (unless they are my actual teacher ok). Second u may not imagine 16 yr olds r ready to make the choice but I was and it was the best thing ever. I took charge of my own sit and did not let anyone else tell me wat was good for me when all they offer was stale ideology and prejudice not real xp....
sufys
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by hannah tchibinda)
it isn't illegal lol. it isn't socially acceptable , but it's perfectly legal.
I'mnotginger
Rep:
Er no. U have no idea about the law. First the law is different in different places but even in UK age of consent is 16. That means fyi I can engage in watever sexual behavior I like at the age of 16 with whomever I want if they are also 16 or over (unless they are my actual teacher ok). Second u may not imagine 16 yr olds r ready to make the choice but I was and it was the best thing ever. I took charge of my own sit and did not let anyone else tell me wat was good for me when all they offer was stale ideology and prejudice not real xp....
No actually I have to intervene there. Yes, you can have sex at 16 with other people who are of age. However, only other 16 and 17 year olds. This is a child protection law as you are not technically an adult yet at 16/17. You are free to do what you like but ye this is still illegal.
Last edited by I'mnotginger; 3 months ago
sufys
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
No actually I have to intervene there. Yes, you can have sex at 16 with other people who are of age. However, only other 16 and 17 year olds. This is a child protection law as you are not technically an adult yet at 16/17.
no.
im sure you can have sex with anyone as long as they're not abusing a position of trust (e.g. teacher )
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Where both people are over the minimum national legal age of consent, I don't believe that a 7 year age gap is automatically too large.
I'm only attracted to guys that are considerably older than me and date with a minimum 15 year age gap.
The oldest guys I dated as a 16-17 year old were in their 50s and 60s.

In the uk nobody over 16 should be dating or sexually involved with anyone under 16- including sexting or asking for anysexy images.
The uk minimum age of sexual consent outside of specific 'position of trust' scenarios is 16.
Where the position of trust scenarios apply, the younger person has to be at least 18 years old.
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 3 months ago

PRSOM
candydiva
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
No actually I have to intervene there. Yes, you can have sex at 16 with other people who are of age. However, only other 16 and 17 year olds. This is a child protection law as you are not technically an adult yet at 16/17. You are free to do what you like but ye this is still illegal.
U may intervene but still u r incorrect.

The Sexual Offenses (Amendment) Act of 2000 which is current UK law on this matter establishes age of consent at 16 for all excepting for adult "persons in positions of trust" (intended to mean teachers, pastors etc.). At 16 I can have sex with any 16 yo person who is not in a "position of trust" with respect to me under UK law. So sex with a random older dude that I met on a dating site or the coffee shop or wherever does not violate this prohibition.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sexual...ment)_Act_2000

Ofc many ppl use incorrect interpretations of law to gaslight ppl who make these choices esp here on TSR.
sufys
Rep:
Report 3 months ago

The Sexual Offenses (Amendment) Act of 2000 which is current UK law on this matter establishes age of consent at 16 for all excepting for adult "persons in positions of trust" (intended to mean teachers, pastors etc.). At 16 I can have sex with any 16 yo person who is not in a "position of trust" with respect to me under UK law. So sex with a random older dude that I met on a dating site or the coffee shop or wherever does not violate this prohibition.

Ofc many ppl use incorrect interpretations of law to gaslight ppl who make these choices esp here on TSR.

PRSOM. for both of these lol.
Anonymous #1
Report 3 months ago
There’s so many people in this thread who have just been groomed, a 60 year old dating a 16 year old is legal yes but very weird. If u were a couple months younger he

Might have been legal but very weird, if u were a couple months younger he’d be in prison. The guy groomed u.
I'mnotginger
Rep:

I'm sorry, I wasn't trying to gaslight you. I perceived the law to be that the "position of trust" guidelines were more serious than they are. Sorry if I came off as disrespectful
succubus666
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 3 months ago

there is a reason why 40 year old people talk to young people like you, think to yourself why arent they talking to anyone their own age
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA Combined Science - Biology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (61)
34.66%
The paper was reasonable (70)
39.77%
Not feeling great about that exam... (28)
15.91%
It was TERRIBLE (17)
9.66%

Watched Threads