Is this allowed when practicing driving?

Watch this thread
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Hi, so I'm a bit worried. I'm 16 and recently applied for a provisional driving license as I'm nearly 17. Today my mum took me to the local industrial estate where she showed me some basic driving skills like gears and things, and I did a little bit of slow driving up and down one quiet lane. We thought it was allowed but now I'm worried it wasn't legal?
Talkative Toad
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 months ago
IWMTom ^^^
coco:)
Badges: 18
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 months ago
No, it's not illegal as long as your mum is over 21, qualified for the vehicle you're driving and had her licence for over 3 years. (reference)

If it's a private industrial estate then that's where there may be a problem.
imogen28
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
It wouldn’t be allowed unless it was private land and you had permission from the land owner - even if you’ve received your provisional license it isn’t valid until you turn 17.
Last edited by imogen28; 3 months ago
IWMTom
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Hi, so I'm a bit worried. I'm 16 and recently applied for a provisional driving license as I'm nearly 17. Today my mum took me to the local industrial estate where she showed me some basic driving skills like gears and things, and I did a little bit of slow driving up and down one quiet lane. We thought it was allowed but now I'm worried it wasn't legal?
Illegal on multiple counts.

No licence. No insurance. Aiding and abetting on the previous two counts......
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Oh dear
Muttly
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Your Mum - bless her

An industrial estate road still a road where you need to drive with a licence, insurance etc

If you receive the higher rate mobility component of DLA (Disability Living Allowance) or the enhanced mobility component of personal independence payment you can drive on a provisional driving licence at 16 years of age. IF not you need to wait to be 17 years old to drive on the road (I think you can be in possession of your provisional licence a few months before your 17th Birthday but you still need to wait)

Make sure you have insurance, the car has MOT, tax and L plates front and rear and your Mum supervising you has held her full UK driving licence for cars for at least 3 years

And away ............
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (4)
19.05%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (1)
4.76%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (3)
14.29%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (2)
9.52%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (6)
28.57%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (5)
23.81%

Watched Threads