Second Year - number of flatmates?

Watch this thread
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
If I go to the uni in my city then I'll basically have second year accommodation sorted since my parents bought a flat last year to do up. It's a nice flat, even has a wee balcony, and I know I'll be able to trust my landlord lol.

It's two bedrooms though, and I worry that that's too abnormal for a second year student to only live with one other person.

Do you think this will prove a problem when finding a flatmate for second year? Do students generally want to live with more people? I quite like the idea of only having to share with one person but I'm asking since I've seen around six people per flat in second year as the norm.
mah1000000
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 months ago
It may be more common to live in a big group but I knew plenty of people who lived in 2-person setups at Uni. Some people don't want the stress of living with a lot of people, some may have one particular friend they want to live with etc... There are plenty of reasons for a 2-person flat at Uni and it's perfectly fine.
agnos987
Badges: 17
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
If I go to the uni in my city then I'll basically have second year accommodation sorted since my parents bought a flat last year to do up. It's a nice flat, even has a wee balcony, and I know I'll be able to trust my landlord lol.

It's two bedrooms though, and I worry that that's too abnormal for a second year student to only live with one other person.

Do you think this will prove a problem when finding a flatmate for second year? Do students generally want to live with more people? I quite like the idea of only having to share with one person but I'm asking since I've seen around six people per flat in second year as the norm.
It's not abnormal! My brother shared a flat with one other person for 2nd and 3rd year and he really enjoyed it. Quieter and more peaceful
hallamstudents
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Hi, that accommodation situation sounds lovely. I'd say most people in second year tend to live in groups of 3 or 4 but that's just because student houses are made to be at least 3 bedroomed so that way they can offer cheaper rent that students can afford. A lot of students also end of living with people they don't know very well in second year, joining a group if people to fill a spare room. As you just need to fill one room you'll be able to ask people you like if they would like to move in. If you don't know anyone in particular you would like to move in, you can advertise on your universities Facebook sites or on your course group chat. I don't think it will put people off, so long as rent is similar to what they would pay in a normal student house.

Living with more people means more complicated house dynamics, dealing with house conflicts etc, living with just one other person will be exponentially easier. You just need to find someone that you will click with.

Good luck in finding a good housemate!

- Rosie
Last edited by hallamstudents; 3 months ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Sociology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (24)
23.08%
The paper was reasonable (47)
45.19%
Not feeling great about that exam... (23)
22.12%
It was TERRIBLE (10)
9.62%

Watched Threads