Rent by room size

Watch this thread
nokeeffe13
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
So, I and my friends have decided to rent a 5 bedroom house for next year. The problem is there are 4 double rooms with lots of floor space, and one single room (single because a double bed wouldn't be able to fit in it). My concern is I'll end up in the room because I feel like it's unfair to anyone who gets it, especially if we allocate rooms by first come first serve. I tried to bring up to 2 of the housemates if this room could have a small rent reduction (£1/2 PPW), but it seems there's just like whoever gets that room that's their problem (while dibsing different rooms in the house). Is there a better way for me to bring up a rent reduction or just pull names out of a hat, to the group, we haven't put money on the house yet, but it's stressing me out. (Also if we did by hat and I got a larger room I'd be happy to pay £2 extra a week)
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 months ago
Try to agree to price the small single room at a significantly lower price than all the other much larger rooms.
Whatever you do- don't agree to have that room yourself.
Good luck!
BlueChicken
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by nokeeffe13)
So, I and my friends have decided to rent a 5 bedroom house for next year. The problem is there are 4 double rooms with lots of floor space, and one single room (single because a double bed wouldn't be able to fit in it). My concern is I'll end up in the room because I feel like it's unfair to anyone who gets it, especially if we allocate rooms by first come first serve. I tried to bring up to 2 of the housemates if this room could have a small rent reduction (£1/2 PPW), but it seems there's just like whoever gets that room that's their problem (while dibsing different rooms in the house). Is there a better way for me to bring up a rent reduction or just pull names out of a hat, to the group, we haven't put money on the house yet, but it's stressing me out. (Also if we did by hat and I got a larger room I'd be happy to pay £2 extra a week)
Yes, it is unfair.

I assume the house also has a lounge, kitchen, bathroom that you all share. So say the house costs £1500 a month (I'm just making up numbers). You might decide that half of that covers the shared areas - so each person pays their equal share of that £750 (so £150 each). Of the remaining £750, if you have four doubles and a single, that is effectively divided by 9 and the doubles pay 2/9 (£167) and the single 1/9 (£83). So in total the double room people pay £317 a month and the single pays £233 ((4 x 317) + ( 1 x 233) = £1500 give or take rounding).

Obviously apply it to the house (I literally made up numbers and fractions for shared/bedroom split) and try and agree the proportions between you, but the single should definitely pay less. Hope that helps.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you done work experience at school/college?

Yes (154)
41.73%
Not yet, but I will soon (68)
18.43%
No (147)
39.84%

Watched Threads