Advice on what to do ( univeristy / life wise )

Watch this thread
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Just going to start off with saying apologises if I waffle and ramble on I would just like some advice and even self experiences of people.

I am currently in my 2nd out of 4 years at uni and study Accounting and Finance , in December i felt as though the course is not right for me and have found it quite difficult and complex to apprehend and get to grips with which led me to not going to lectures or seminars. My January exams i had one and some coursework in which I know i will have to redo at some point this year. I have been going in and out of feeling depressed and just feeling **** about myself and life as this was a major factor in my life as its deciding my future. I completely understand it was I who decided to not go to lectures and such so therefore was going to feel like this eventually but i have had no motivation or discipline to do this course and as people say you don't have long left or just try to pass even that is not easy as doing something you don't want to is not easy especially a course like this.

I managed to put this forth to my dad and we spoke about it i had said about changing courses and doing Business Management however he said that it would be a waste of 2 years and also more debt and also Business management isn't the best of degrees and i understand how it isn't but unsure of what else to do . My father had then just said if i do not want to study then it is best to find a job.

I have always found that going university is the best and main way forward as it gives you a degree and something to fall back upon , furthermore , the people i know who don't go university end up just working in warehouses or short term jobs as similar . I am not trying to disrespect such jobs but for the long term and marriage kids etc a warehouse would not be the best physically and later financially. If a job route would have to be done then i would look for something i am able to work up in and eventually be at a stable good pay job / role.

I plan to write an email to the right people and also get advice from the counselling people / career advice people from my university.

I would just like some advice on maybe such things I can do to be able to get better from this and also if people have experienced maybe uni to work and are happy with their decision or maybe not so . As though it may not seem I am smart individual but just lacking traits at times , but I genuinely do feel this isn't the right course for me and possibly something i do not want to do right now but feel stuck.
tinyperson
Badges: 18
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 months ago
find a hobby
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Anonymous)
Just going to start off with saying apologises if I waffle and ramble on I would just like some advice and even self experiences of people.

I am currently in my 2nd out of 4 years at uni and study Accounting and Finance , in December i felt as though the course is not right for me and have found it quite difficult and complex to apprehend and get to grips with which led me to not going to lectures or seminars. My January exams i had one and some coursework in which I know i will have to redo at some point this year. I have been going in and out of feeling depressed and just feeling **** about myself and life as this was a major factor in my life as its deciding my future. I completely understand it was I who decided to not go to lectures and such so therefore was going to feel like this eventually but i have had no motivation or discipline to do this course and as people say you don't have long left or just try to pass even that is not easy as doing something you don't want to is not easy especially a course like this.

I managed to put this forth to my dad and we spoke about it i had said about changing courses and doing Business Management however he said that it would be a waste of 2 years and also more debt and also Business management isn't the best of degrees and i understand how it isn't but unsure of what else to do . My father had then just said if i do not want to study then it is best to find a job.

I have always found that going university is the best and main way forward as it gives you a degree and something to fall back upon , furthermore , the people i know who don't go university end up just working in warehouses or short term jobs as similar . I am not trying to disrespect such jobs but for the long term and marriage kids etc a warehouse would not be the best physically and later financially. If a job route would have to be done then i would look for something i am able to work up in and eventually be at a stable good pay job / role.

I plan to write an email to the right people and also get advice from the counselling people / career advice people from my university.

I would just like some advice on maybe such things I can do to be able to get better from this and also if people have experienced maybe uni to work and are happy with their decision or maybe not so . As though it may not seem I am smart individual but just lacking traits at times , but I genuinely do feel this isn't the right course for me and possibly something i do not want to do right now but feel stuck.
apologises about the grammar , spelling and use of basic words it is quite late right now
Anonymous #1
(Original post by tinyperson)
find a hobby
get a life
asianism
Badges: 16
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 months ago

Study and keep at your degree. Once you have a degree, its easier to find a job and support yourself.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by asianism)
Study and keep at your degree. Once you have a degree, its easier to find a job and support yourself.
if only it was that simple......
asianism
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
if only it was that simple......
well it just is, you're overcomplicating things
LegalTom
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 3 months ago

You could do business management, which may leave you with better chances at a good grade, plus confidence in achieving good grades; apply to commercial law firms for a training contract in your second/third year with those good grades (you don’t need to study law all they need is your skills) and happy days. Or - finish your four year degree by working harder!!! Always remind yourself of why you applied for accountancy in the first place. But most importantly, don’t deceive yourself - know your limit!!!
Last edited by LegalTom; 3 months ago
Muttly
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
I agree with some of the other posts. What was the decision making process whereby you came to do a 'numbers' degree? Presumably you had some affinity with numbers?

You have nearly finished year 2 so be determined to finish. Get on top of this year and get back to a position where you are going to finish

Whose aspirations are you seeking to achieve? Your own or your parents? Its horrendous because on the one hand you hate work, on the other you waste your life and money in the process. However you might as well show some determination and you could even surprise yourself and learn something about yourself along the way.

Would serving a 2 year stretch in HMP be any easier? Imagine you have been put away and have nothing else to do for those 2 years. Do what you need to do to finish this degree. Bleating about it won't help. Stop wasting time and grip it now before life slides downhill. When you have finished it at least you can choose many other avenues, work options and jobs to go at and it doesn't have to be 'boring' accountancy. After that you have 50 or more years of work and no play to keep you excited.

Choosing not to go to lectures etc isn't going to help here. I fear you will be half hearted until you hear the answer you want to hear. Its like putting your head in the sand. Grow up, take some independent advice and stop looking to others to make your decisions for you.
Anonymous #2
Report 3 months ago
get a life
:troll:
gjd800
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
get a life
It might have sounded flippant, but the advice is actually good.

Lots of my students have these crises because the course is hard and they feel overwhelmed. the prescription for that is really a) good preparation, and b) finding nice things to do outside of the course. If you have nice stuff going on outside, it is easier to put up with the shite stuff inside the course. There are support services available, and they are often effective at triaging what the nub of the issue really is. It could be good to make use of these services.

Of course, it's not the answer for everyone, and sometimes the course really and legitimately isn;t right. At this point it becomes a weighing up game: is the time invested too much to write off, or do you think that it is really worth starting a new course at the beginning? Can you really guarantee that you won't feel the same way about the new course two years in?

Muttly is also right to ask about your decision making process - why were you drawn to this degree and what did you want to get out of it?

You are not bound to your degree for life, and by this I mean it does not dictate your entire future. sure, it is useful to have one, but you need not 'do' whatever your degree is in forever (or even at all).

basically you have two choices. The first of which is to find a way to cope, and get your head down, see this thing out to the best of your ability. This is a big commitment if you are genuinely hating life because of your course.

Otherwise, you can drop out and do something else.
Anonymous #2
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by gjd800)
It might have sounded flippant, but the advice is actually good.

Lots of my students have these crises because the course is hard and they feel overwhelmed. the prescription for that is really a) good preparation, and b) finding nice things to do outside of the course. If you have nice stuff going on outside, it is easier to put up with the shite stuff inside the course. There are support services available, and they are often effective at triaging what the nub of the issue really is. It could be good to make use of these services.

Of course, it's not the answer for everyone, and sometimes the course really and legitimately isn;t right. At this point it becomes a weighing up game: is the time invested too much to write off, or do you think that it is really worth starting a new course at the beginning? Can you really guarantee that you won't feel the same way about the new course two years in?

Muttly is also right to ask about your decision making process - why were you drawn to this degree and what did you want to get out of it?

You are not bound to your degree for life, and by this I mean it does not dictate your entire future. sure, it is useful to have one, but you need not 'do' whatever your degree is in forever (or even at all).

basically you have two choices. The first of which is to find a way to cope, and get your head down, see this thing out to the best of your ability. This is a big commitment if you are genuinely hating life because of your course.

Otherwise, you can drop out and do something else.
Fam, regular troll don't bother
gjd800
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
It doesn't matter - some other youngster with a similar issue will no doubt see this stuff and the replies
Anonymous #1
I'm not a troll lol I'm genuinely asking this question ... I'm not sure what troll has that much time on their hands to type this much out just looking for peoples experiences and advice to be honest.
Anonymous #2
Report 3 months ago
I'm not a troll lol I'm genuinely asking this question ... I'm not sure what troll has that much time on their hands to type this much out just looking for peoples experiences and advice to be honest.
Sure sure 😂
Anonymous #1
Sure sure 😂
you can think that if you want like the gentleman said if it I am a troll then it could help another student furthermore i's not sure what gives off me being a troll i am the person who made this post but whatever I guess
Anonymous #2
Report 3 months ago
you can think that if you want like the gentleman said if it I am a troll then it could help another student furthermore i's not sure what gives off me being a troll i am the person who made this post but whatever I guess
If you aren't then quit university if you're not happy
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA GCSE English Language Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (65)
19.52%
The paper was reasonable (124)
37.24%
Not feeling great about that exam... (96)
28.83%
It was TERRIBLE (48)
14.41%

Watched Threads