I got 2 Bs and 1 C in mocks, can I get 2 A* and an A in my actual A-levels?

Watch this thread
jubnatan
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
I do bio, chem and psych. I got a B in bio and psych and a C in chem. I didn't revise for my mocks because I was burntout after revising for the UCAT and BMAT and the whole UCAS early deadline, and they were all crammed in one week, so that didn't help. My predicted grades are all A*, but due to a combination of factors such as fear of failure, perfectionism , self-doubt and procrastination I am not achieving those grades.

I don't know what the most effective way to study would be in the short amount of time I have left, and I would appreciate if I could get some guidance.

I am willing to work as hard as it takes but I just need some advice.
Last edited by jubnatan; 3 months ago
Dylan8421
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by jubnatan)
I do bio, chem and psych. I got a B in bio and psych and a C in chem. I didn't revise for my mocks because I was burntout after revising for the UCAT and BMAT and the whole UCAS early deadline, and they were all crammed in one week, so that didn't help. My predicted grades are all A*, but due to a combination of factors such as fear of failure, perfectionism , self-doubt and procrastination I am not achieving those grades.

I don't know what the most effective way to study would be in the short amount of time I have left, and I would appreciate if I could get some guidance.

Why is your predicted A*A*A* if you get BBC in your mocks?
jubnatan
Rep:
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
(Original post by Dylan8421)
Why is your predicted A*A*A* if you get BBC in your mocks?
because our school uses this algorithm that generates your target grade based on your GCSE results.
BlueChicken
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 3 months ago

Yes, it is possible and you have time, especially if you have worked so far in lessons, but just had too much on in mocks.

Get the specifications for your exams (free from exam board web site) to know exactly what you need to know (you can't be asked something outside of that). Also get the past papers and mark schemes. For bio and chemistry this is particularly important as the intros to the mark schemes tell you, for chem say, how to draw diagrams, which brackets to use in equations etc. Also, the long answer questions in chem it also explains about the logical order and what is needed for all marks. For bio, in AQA anyway, the mark schemes are important, as they can seem quite harsh in terms of terminology - remember though, these mark schemes are what examiners use, so your exam answers need to be like them. Apologies, I am unfamiliar with psychology A-level.

Also, note how you can get easy marks, e.g by quoting to the number of sig. figs. they specify or giving the correct units. Also, on a four mark questions say, note what it takes to get all 4 marks rather than 3.

Revise how is best for you. Maybe do a past paper and identify your weak areas, then revise those and do another paper and see if you improve. Also, you can get papers from other exam boards, as the questions, in science anyway, won't be massively different and will provide more practice.

Do flashcards or active recall help you? Or does making notes and just revising them work? You need to do what is best for you, as we're all different.

I also found the CGP books really useful (I was a private candidate), as they follow the spec have questions and answers and have an online accompaniment. I am sure there are other providers.

Regardless of your revision (learning) method make a timetable now that works back from exams and get stuck in. Make it realistic and plan in breaks and contingency, i.e. allow for slippage. Ask teachers for help if you're struggling on a particular topic. Good luck - you can do it!
Last edited by BlueChicken; 3 months ago
Dylan8421
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
because our school uses this algorithm that generates your target grade based on your GCSE results.
what a bs system, ours is based on transition exams
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you done work experience at school/college?

Yes (126)
42.42%
Not yet, but I will soon (54)
18.18%
No (117)
39.39%

Watched Threads