The Student Room Group

Leave of absence

I’m a 1st year student. I’ve recently begun a leave of absence at my university which is scheduled to last for the rest of the academic year. I’m about to send off a UCAS application for 2022 entry into first year (not a transfer). I plan to withdraw from my current institution if I get into somewhere preferable.

I’m not sure what to put as the “End date” for my university in the Education section of the UCAS form. Do I make it the start of my leave of absence, the end of this academic year, or the new scheduled end of the course (should I stay on)?

The first option seems ideal as it would mean universities wouldn’t be able to determine whether I dropped out or went on a leave of absence. I suppose the former looks better than the latter to admissions.

On the other hand, can I just omit my current university from the Education section entirely?
(edited 2 years ago)
Others, more knowledgeable, will comment on the end date to enter. Personally, I put the date as when my University officially terminated my studies.

If you leave your end date as when your leave of absence began you can always have it clarified in your reference to ensure admissions staff know.

As for the second point, no you can not omit your education history from the education history section. All education from secondary level must be inputted, including a year at university level.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Frank_maguire
I’m a 1st year student. I’ve recently begun a leave of absence at my current university which is scheduled to last for the rest of the academic year. I’m about to send off a UCAS application for 2022 entry into first year (not a transfer). I plan to withdraw from my current institution if I get into somewhere preferable.

I’m not sure what to put as the “End date” for my university in the Education section of the UCAS form. Do I make it the start of my leave of absence, the end of this academic year, or the new scheduled end of the course (should I stay on)?

The first option seems ideal as it would mean universities wouldn’t be able to determine whether I dropped out or went on a leave of absence. I suppose the former looks better than the latter to admissions.

On the other hand, can I just omit my current university from the Education section entirely?

If you get a place elsewhere and leave your current university then your official end date will be the date you suspended your studies. That’s the date to put as the end date.

If you put the end of the year then it will look like you failed every module. If you put the date you suspended then it looks like you left before taking exams.
Original post by PQ
If you get a place elsewhere and leave your current university then your official end date will be the date you suspended your studies. That’s the date to put as the end date.

If you put the end of the year then it will look like you failed every module. If you put the date you suspended then it looks like you left before taking exams.

@PQ Ok. I don’t want my university choices to know I am on a leave of absence. I would prefer it if they think I dropped out. Or is there a way for them to know even if I don’t mention it?

Moreover, would you advise briefly explaining why I “left” the university in my personal statement?
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending