Masters with a 2:2

Watch this thread
1001frames
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Hey,

I graduated from the university of Lancaster last year, before the pandemic I was on track for a high 2:1 and was applying for as many internships in finance for summer 2020 as possible I got past the interview stage but as soon as the pandemic they fizzled out. I kinda gave up trying to look for work afterwards and I lost motivation for my degree so I ended up graduating with a high 2:2 ba economics & international relations. The past seven months I've been working odd-jobs that don't require a degree but I've managed to save up quite a lot of money so i'm going to use it to go travelling around the world for a year or two as the pandemic appears to be dying down and probably teach English on the side to keep my income up. After that I would like to go back to university to get better qualified and redeem my subpar undergrad grade which I don't think is a reflection of my ability. So that I can actually hope to get a decent job at some point and support myself . Do uni courses allow people with 2:2s? I did economics and international relations so I'd be looking at doing a masters in business or in foreign affairs I have a while to decide. I doubt I'd have much luck getting into a postgrad course for a prestigious uni but could I go back to Lancaster with being an alumni or will I have to resign myself to an ex-polytechnic uni? Also, should I look at doing masters abroad as British unis tend to be perceived quite well internationally?
Last edited by 1001frames; 3 months ago
FM94
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by 1001frames)
Hey,

I graduated from the university of Lancaster last year, before the pandemic I was on track for a high 2:1 and was applying for as many internships in finance for summer 2020 as possible I got past the interview stage but as soon as the pandemic they fizzled out. I kinda gave up trying to look for work afterwards and I lost motivation for my degree so I ended up graduating with a high 2:2 ba economics & international relations. The past seven months I've been working odd-jobs that don't require a degree but I've managed to save up quite a lot of money so i'm going to use it to go travelling around the world for a year or two as the pandemic appears to be dying down and probably teach English on the side to keep my income up. After that I would like to go back to university to get better qualified and redeem my subpar undergrad grade which I don't think is a reflection of my ability. So that I can actually hope to get a decent job at some point and support myself . Do uni courses allow people with 2:2s? I did economics and international relations so I'd be looking at doing a masters in business or in foreign affairs I have a while to decide. I doubt I'd have much luck getting into a postgrad course for a prestigious uni but could I go back to Lancaster with being an alumni or will I have to resign myself to an ex-polytechnic uni? Also, should I look at doing masters abroad as British unis tend to be perceived quite well internationally?
You can apply for external circumstances (EC) due to covid; many universities take this into consideration even the very top ones.
1001frames
Rep:
(Original post by FM94)
You can apply for external circumstances (EC) due to covid; many universities take this into consideration even the very top ones.
what do you mean as in admissions or to change my grade? I was .5% away from a 2:1 and tried appealing it twice because of Covid but they wouldn't accept it sadly.
FM94
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
what do you mean as in admissions or to change my grade? I was .5% away from a 2:1 and tried appealing it twice because of Covid but they wouldn't accept it sadly.
In admission..
I highly doubt they'll change your grades even if you raised a complaint and gave them your EC.
PhoenixFortune
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Hey,

You might find getting a place difficult for really competitive courses, but you'll probably have better luck with less competitive courses or universities. Reputation of the university may be a factor in future employment, but that really depends on the sector.
1001frames
Rep:
(Original post by PhoenixFortune)
You might find getting a place difficult for really competitive courses, but you'll probably have better luck with less competitive courses or universities. Reputation of the university may be a factor in future employment, but that really depends on the sector.
I'm under no illusions that I can afford to be picky, I'm trying to do as much extra qualification as I can like right now I'm taking Chinese lessons I may also learn some computer programming skill. It's hard to find good experience as I've worked more or less consistently since I was 17 but they have all more or less been manual jobs
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA Combined Science - Biology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (30)
35.71%
The paper was reasonable (31)
36.9%
Not feeling great about that exam... (15)
17.86%
It was TERRIBLE (8)
9.52%

Watched Threads