The Student Room Group

Cambridge 2022 | Rejection Thread

Hi!

I know this is a bit premature but I wanted to make a space for those of us who face rejection to talk about the next steps we're taking or just vent.

Remember, being rejected from Cambridge is not a reflection on your intelligence, ability or character. It just means another place of study would be better at helping you grow and develop. Rejection = Redirection.

BUT, that doesn't mean you have to repress your feelings. You've worked hard and not having an offer is obviously going to feel disappointing, so feel free to let your emotions out too.

Just remember you're amazing for even getting to this stage. You will still do amazing in life with this level of dedication.

Best wishes xx
Reply 1
This is very kind of you. I have not yet received a rejection but I am anticipating one because I have heard many candidates have been interviewed already. I faced rejection in 2020 and applying again this year was a very hesitant decision for me. I remember feeling worthless when I was rejected in 2020 and overcoming that feeling to get a job was difficult. That would not have been possible if my connections and family were not supportive and empathetic. Many of us would not have that outlet. This thread would be super-helpful for most of us.
Original post by sdk123
This is very kind of you. I have not yet received a rejection but I am anticipating one because I have heard many candidates have been interviewed already. I faced rejection in 2020 and applying again this year was a very hesitant decision for me. I remember feeling worthless when I was rejected in 2020 and overcoming that feeling to get a job was difficult. That would not have been possible if my connections and family were not supportive and empathetic. Many of us would not have that outlet. This thread would be super-helpful for most of us.

I'm so sorry that happened! But massive props to you for trying again. It's brave to try even once so again after failure is even more amazing! I also anticipated a rejection and alas got one, but I don't feel too bad when I think about how other people I know have overcome this. No matter the outcome, please be proud of yourself. The fact you got a job afterwards gives me hope. xx
Facing rejection from English at Fitzwilliam. I don't feel as bad as I thought, so I'll try be active here to help anyone who needs it! xx
Original post by katastrophic
Facing rejection from English at Fitzwilliam. I don't feel as bad as I thought, so I'll try be active here to help anyone who needs it! xx

hey, same here, english at fitzwilliam!! i didn't think it would bother me as much as it has, but i think it was getting pooled and being so close that's made me feel kind of crappy about it. :frown: apparently there was a record number of applicants this year (people probably applying during a gap year to avoid a first year at uni with covid) so it's prob more a reflection of that than ability. hope you're doing well! <3
Original post by Elisabeth Hughes
hey, same here, english at fitzwilliam!! i didn't think it would bother me as much as it has, but i think it was getting pooled and being so close that's made me feel kind of crappy about it. :frown: apparently there was a record number of applicants this year (people probably applying during a gap year to avoid a first year at uni with covid) so it's prob more a reflection of that than ability. hope you're doing well! <3

Hope you're okay too! Yeah, I thought that would play a role in lowering the chances. On top of deferred entries - even the amount of places available was lower. 😅

Did you apply directly to Fitz? I was wondering what the chances of getting pooled there would be compared to a higher demand college. Congrats on getting pooled though! I got a direct rejection - though I think it was inevitable since I for some reason referenced Pride and Prejudice as a pre-seventeenth century text in my interview~ 🙈
Hope you're okay too! Yeah, I thought that would play a role in lowering the chances. On top of deferred entries - even the amount of places available was lower. 😅

Did you apply directly to Fitz? I was wondering what the chances of getting pooled there would be compared to a higher demand college. Congrats on getting pooled though! I got a direct rejection - though I think it was inevitable since I for some reason referenced Pride and Prejudice as a pre-seventeenth century text in my interview~ 🙈

I applied directly to Fitzwilliam (partially because Nick Drake is one of my favourite songwriters so I thought it would be cool to see if I could go to the same college as him haha!) but don't worry about the interview mistake, I'm pretty sure everyone says something a bit odd at some point during theirs! I accidentally started talking about Seneca when they asked me about Aristotle, and when they corrected me I doubled down out of panic. :0

Just getting to interview means you're an incredibly capable student and worthy of a place, so whichever way you look at it, it's more a matter of odds and college capacity. :smile: Are you thinking of reapplying next year? I'm hoping the deferred entries will go down a bit by then because COVID hasn't been as much of a problem, but you never know (especially with this government smh)
Original post by Elisabeth Hughes
I applied directly to Fitzwilliam (partially because Nick Drake is one of my favourite songwriters so I thought it would be cool to see if I could go to the same college as him haha!) but don't worry about the interview mistake, I'm pretty sure everyone says something a bit odd at some point during theirs! I accidentally started talking about Seneca when they asked me about Aristotle, and when they corrected me I doubled down out of panic. :0

Just getting to interview means you're an incredibly capable student and worthy of a place, so whichever way you look at it, it's more a matter of odds and college capacity. :smile: Are you thinking of reapplying next year? I'm hoping the deferred entries will go down a bit by then because COVID hasn't been as much of a problem, but you never know (especially with this government smh)

Ohh I didn't know any musicians went! :0 Honestly, I applied because they had the highest proportion of en-suite rooms lol. But thanks for the kind words! I panicked too so you're defo not alone in that. 😅

I probably won't reapply, but I guess it really depends on if my other applications get offers or not (fingers crossed for St Andrews because there's a beach next door). We'll see about COVID though I guess (hopefully Boris calms down with the raves lmao). What about yourself?
Ohh I didn't know any musicians went! :0 Honestly, I applied because they had the highest proportion of en-suite rooms lol. But thanks for the kind words! I panicked too so you're defo not alone in that. 😅

I probably won't reapply, but I guess it really depends on if my other applications get offers or not (fingers crossed for St Andrews because there's a beach next door). We'll see about COVID though I guess (hopefully Boris calms down with the raves lmao). What about yourself?

ngl that is very good reason to pick a college, i'm literally sweating at the idea of having to share a bathroom at uni lmaooo. also thank god it wasn't just me panicking in the interview, i must've invented like sixty new words from all the waffling i was doing lol

wishing you the best for st andrews, beaches are always a plus!! if you do end up reapplying lmk, maybe we'll end up on the same application cycle again!

i've received all my offers atm, just deciding whether to firm manchester or bristol bc i deferred entry anyway. idk the whole cambridge rejection doesn't seem as bad now i'm thinking about other options, but at the same time i'm feeling the feminine urge to reapply lmaoo

i didnt get rejected but ur interview reminds me of mine where i also referenced pride and prejudice but forgot the main characters name, elizabeth and my interviewer reminded me and i was like oh yes liz bennet >_<
Reply 10
This thread is a good idea. Very good idea to focus on other universities now instead.
There are some excellent ones out there where you may easily be happier and less pressured than at Cambridge or Oxford.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by succubus666
i didnt get rejected but ur interview reminds me of mine where i also referenced pride and prejudice but forgot the main characters name, elizabeth and my interviewer reminded me and i was like oh yes liz bennet >_<

Omg the panic of when you forget what the book's like - I relate so much. I didn't forget Lizzy but Mr Wickham's name left my brain. XD I shouldn't have brought up Pride and Prejudice since I read it years ago. I was talking about it being in the third person and the interviewer was like "But is it all in the third person?" (Referring to the letter sections) and I thought I had imagined the wrong narrator. Glad someone also mentioned the book though! And congrats on getting an offer! ^^
Original post by Cote1
This thread is a good idea. Very good idea to focus on other universities now instead.
There are some excellent ones out there where you may easily be happier and less pressured than at Cambridge or Oxford.

Thank you!
It's onwards and upwards as they say - Oxbridge isn't end all be all :biggrin:
Reply 13
Thank you!
It's onwards and upwards as they say - Oxbridge isn't end all be all :biggrin:

Definitely. It is far from it. Plenty more fish in the sea! And who knows where you will be happiest? Maybe not Oxbridge. Also at Oxbridge the work really is likely to be more pressured.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 14
Natsci at Medwards. I 'swam' in the pool for a while but unfortunately no college picked me.
I was so sad at the beginning. But since I found my assessment result: double 9 in both section 1 and section 2 physics (the maximum!), I feel kind'a better. My efforts was not wasted. At least I reached the top 2% in physics assessment.
I suppose I must haven't done well in interview... I am never good at express myself face to face with strangers...
So I guess I am quite clear here. Just move on.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending