Advice on promotion

Watch this thread
Marialol
Badges: 4
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
I’ve been working for a retail store as a sales associate for the past 3 months. I didn’t apply for it, I actually got recruited through a website. The store was supposed to be temporary but now got extended so the company is looking for a supervisor.

It’s a small store so for the past 3 months, me and the other 3 employees have been running the store without any managers. I am one of the key holders and we all have a lot of responsibility which we have been taking care of really good.

When they decided to extend the store, they asked me if I wanted to stay for longer. I am aware one of the other employees didn’t get another offer and the other one did, but didn’t accept it.

I have found their job advert on LinkedIn posted 5 days ago and it says 0 applicants. I was wondering if it would be a good idea to contact the managers and let them know I would be open to be a supervisor? I’m debating it as they haven’t offered it to me so they might not think I’m suited for it. However, as I said, we all have been managing the store by ourselves since it opened and the duties listed on the advert are the same as the ones I’ve been doing.

Should I try it out? I guess worst case scenario, they will just say no. Pls help
Tracey_W
Badges: 17
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Marialol)
I’ve been working for a retail store as a sales associate for the past 3 months. I didn’t apply for it, I actually got recruited through a website. The store was supposed to be temporary but now got extended so the company is looking for a supervisor.

It’s a small store so for the past 3 months, me and the other 3 employees have been running the store without any managers. I am one of the key holders and we all have a lot of responsibility which we have been taking care of really good.

When they decided to extend the store, they asked me if I wanted to stay for longer. I am aware one of the other employees didn’t get another offer and the other one did, but didn’t accept it.

I have found their job advert on LinkedIn posted 5 days ago and it says 0 applicants. I was wondering if it would be a good idea to contact the managers and let them know I would be open to be a supervisor? I’m debating it as they haven’t offered it to me so they might not think I’m suited for it. However, as I said, we all have been managing the store by ourselves since it opened and the duties listed on the advert are the same as the ones I’ve been doing.

Should I try it out? I guess worst case scenario, they will just say no. Pls help
Job should be advertised first of all or all staff offered to apply for it first before going externally if nobody suitable for it.

Experience is key for a supervisor job especially retailing as you'll know you do a lot of paperwork, dealing with ordering etc etc.

If you have got previous retail experience over & above your current position then why not give it ago. Do you fancy getting called out at all hours if alarms etc goes off to check the premises as a key holder as part of responsiblabilties of job.

You have nothing to lose in asking about what's happenening in regards of this job that been advertised online but yet not asked any of the immediate staff. Wonder why none of the staff been asked about this advert you seen as surely its only right you's are firstly asked to apply or do the management think you's not upto it as only them can tell you this one.

I'm a t/leader & stand in supervisor as required with big name supermarket ( could had been assistant manager but responsiblabilties of what goes with job isn't for me as happy what I'm doing when in working ).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your Edexcel A-level Economics Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (61)
15.89%
The paper was reasonable (188)
48.96%
Not feeling great about that exam... (97)
25.26%
It was TERRIBLE (38)
9.9%

Watched Threads