The Student Room Group

Art

Does anyone have any ideas abt an art business ?
I was thinking in maybe 1 year I could start an online business selling customised paintings or sketches or any designs of the customers choice
Is there any other ways of selling or promoting my art
I want my art to some point end up in a gallery as I am studying to go to school of art soon
Any ideas would be helpful ty
Start a social media site
Start an online blog
Make your own online video's
Good luck
Original post by Cheesecake25
Does anyone have any ideas abt an art business ?
I was thinking in maybe 1 year I could start an online business selling customised paintings or sketches or any designs of the customers choice
Is there any other ways of selling or promoting my art
I want my art to some point end up in a gallery as I am studying to go to school of art soon
Any ideas would be helpful ty

Hey there!
This is great you're thinking about your art work progressing forwards before you have even started art school! What art school have you applied to?

Throughout your journey at art school, you will learn how to move your art forwards into the wider, creative world and learn how to professionally engage others within your practice. This will become clearer in your third year at University, however pointers and steps to move your art work forwards, I found, is always discussed and questioned throughout the whole of your time spent at art school!

In terms of getting your art out there, I recommend starting a website to document the journey throughout your art school experience ('Wix' is a good site to look into for this). This is something to think about in year one and continue until third year. If this continues, you will have yourself a digital portfolio that is ready to progress even further after art school! This can also be somewhere where selling artworks may be applicable. Perhaps start small, a few prints, photographs, paintings etc and see the response.

Getting your work noticed is crucial in the art world. Networks will start to form the more people there are aware of your work! Start to develop a social media presence (Instagram and Facebook are good sites to begin with). This ultimately will get your work out there, act as an online portfolio and is great for industry post graduation. It is just as important to have a good network online as it is in person these days. During your time at art school, instagram is a great place to support your other creatives, share artwork and gain attention from a wider audience!

If you have any more questions, reply below and I will answer asap!

Good luck and I hope this helps,

Olivia-University of Southampton Ambassador

Quick Reply

Latest