This discussion is closed.
PublicSchoolAnn
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
How much will you have in your account when you start uni and how long do you think it will be until you are on the phone crying to your parents/getting a job/ getting money by desperate means.

'Mon the Biffy!
Elles
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
mine is past tense..

(Original post by PublicSchoolAnn)
How much will you have in your account when you start uni
~ £6,500.

and how long do you think it will be until you are on the phone crying to your parents/getting a job/ getting money by desperate means.
employment (as planned) in summer vacation of first year.

earn money, live within your means & budget is what it takes.. :rolleyes: :p:
Muse
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I worked near full time hours while in upper school, suffice to say I don't plan to be getting into debt til at least the clinical years
Elles
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by timeofyourlife)
I worked near full time hours while in upper school, suffice to say I don't plan to be getting into debt til at least the clinical years
no student loan? impressive. i like the idea of kepeing my savings saved too much.. :p:
Muse
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Elles)
no student loan? impressive. i like the idea of kepeing my savings saved too much.. :p:
it's gathering dust in an ISA I'm sure your employment was more *ahem* entertaining than mine
Helenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I had £500 in my account at the start of first year. I have about £1300 right now because I've got my loan, but most of that will have to go out soon when I pay my bill. My parents don't support me apart from paying my fees, despite being assessed for ~£600 a year :mad: but I get by - will work through the summer which will help. Have about £2000 in savings but that's staying there till clinicals if I can help it!

Edit: and TOYL, my employment was for a gynaecologist. Very un-entertaining :eek:
Muse
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Helenia)
and TOYL, my employment was for a gynaecologist. Very un-entertaining :eek:
Oh yes, I remember your post about that. Air conditioning seemed to come up as a prime concern
Helenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by timeofyourlife)
Oh yes, I remember your post about that. Air conditioning seemed to come up as a prime concern
Well, the office was a bit of an oven. Nowhere near the consulting rooms though.
Davie_Moyes
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Whats all the Finance available to you e.g. student loan, how much? Travel expenses etc etc
*Laura*
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I have a student loan and I work during the holidays. I'm not too poor yet I'm not allowed to buy any clothes this term though!
granddad_bob
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
on the 1st october 2003 i was 6,746.56 pounds in black. reasons? 1) worked full time for 14 weeks with very little outgoings. 2) won a fair amount through betting.
ThePants999
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
For those considering not doing so, ALWAYS take out the full student loan. If you don't need it, put it in an interest-paying account, as you'll earn more interest on it than you pay.
horrorboy
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by ThePants999)
For those considering not doing so, ALWAYS take out the full student loan. If you don't need it, put it in an interest-paying account, as you'll earn more interest on it than you pay.
yeah has everyone thought of this lol? how much interest would say £2000 make in a year then if i left it in an interest paying account
Sarky
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago

From the age of 16, i saved my money in an isa. I've put in the full amount for a year and a bit so i have some savings which i plan to use when i can't work because the course gets too hectic. I'm lucky i get 3 years of normal uni holidays and then 3 years of reduced ones on my medical degree so during the summer i'll probably work full time for eight weeks which should add to what i already have. Despite all this, my loan doesn't cover everything. My mum couldn't afford to give me anything towards uni and i give her and my sister money to help them out.
lou p lou
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
my mate went with about £60, she hadn't expected to do well in here a-levels so was going to save up next year (while resitting)... she seems to be coping though.

i think i had just under £1000

lou xxx
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (139)
17.77%
It's just nice to be back! (211)
26.98%
Not great so far... (281)
35.93%
I want to drop out! (151)
19.31%

Watched Threads